+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: does it really matter what your IQ is?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default does it really matter what your IQ is?

i've been wondring about that cus well, frankly, i've never really oput much focus into an i.q test to know exactly what my own is...it's probably low who knows.

anyway does having a high i.q really matter?

or is it just something neato to know as an icebreaker at parties or a cheap pick up line to get chicks in your britches?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: does it really matter what your IQ is?

nope, just your credit score.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I don't think it matters. I know some people who are dumb as a stump but they are really good people.

oh well, that sucks for me then lol i got fed up talking to some collector this morning then she tried to cop an attitude with me on the phone and discovered very quickly i ahd a full bowl of crazy bitch flakes before she called.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    oh well, that sucks for me then lol i got fed up talking to some collector this morning then she tried to cop an attitude with me on the phone and discovered very quickly i ahd a full bowl of crazy bitch flakes before she called.
    that was a response to the credit score thingy mg said lol

Here is a quote from a response to a blog asking the same question. I personally agree with the answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    As with most things, there’s a danger with too much focus on IQ scores. Our measured intelligence is just one perspective on what we can achieve. However, new research shows that intelligence isn’t the fixed quantity that it was long thought to be. This exciting finding means we’re not stuck with one score forever.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Whatever benchmark one uses for intelligence, I guess the question is kind of how much does intelligence matter? Is that accurate?

If so, the people who are most successful in life tend to be those who are slightly above average. Someone who is a bit brighter than their peers will excel; someone who is much brighter will be alienated. I would expect that the average IQ of people posting on Blue Blood is probably way over the average of 100. A person with a 120 IQ is more likely to be successful than a person with a 180 IQ. Same as someone a bit better looking than average will get way more dates than someone who is extremely physically beautiful.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

If I had a kid, and they were given an IQ test, I would not really worry about it unless it was really high, or really low. And I think by the time you are an adult, you already know if you fall into one of those categories.

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I would expect that the average IQ of people posting on Blue Blood is probably way over the average of 100. A person with a 120 IQ is more likely to be successful than a person with a 180 IQ. Same as someone a bit better looking than average will get way more dates than someone who is extremely physically beautiful.
    Best way I've heard it put in forever!

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Intelligence without wisdom is nothing more than a loaded gun in the hands of a child, and the only true teacher of wisdom is life experience... in which case, those who gain wisdom really only do so by the luck that allows them to live through their mistakes while simultaneously learning from them.

A high IQ only affects you if you make the mistake of broadcasting it on a public message board (after someone else brings up the subject, no less), in which case all it does is draw attention from recreational skeptics/naysayers. It certainly never got "chicks in my britches." (I've had to rely on my voice and my sense of humor for that... and the fact that my body is apparently not too repulsive.)

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

An Intelligence Quotient has nothing to do with how smart you are. It has to do with your capacity for knowledge and the retrieval of said knowledge.

A gold fish has roughly an IQ of 8 and a short term memory of about 5 seconds, hence why they eat them selves to death if there's too much food in the tank.

A human being, on average has an IQ of about... what's average now days? 100? and they can pull from all their major memories, all of their experiences and apply that knowledge to the task or concept at present.

I prefer not to think in terms of "My IQ is 150+" and more in terms of "I'm in the 87th percentile, meaning I think faster, and about more, than 87% of the rest of the population.

I think the point of this post is to say that no, it doesn't matter what the numbers are, it's how you use them. It only takes an IQ of 3 to scream and Broccoli has an IQ of 10.

~K

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I value common sense more than soneone who knows alot

Personally, I think it does matter to a degree. I think it also depend on your personality.

For example, I notice that people with similar intelligent level tend to hang out with eachother more than those who are higher or lower than them.

However if the person is more tolerating, patient, and understanding, I can see them blending in with those who arent as intelligent.

If the person is extremely intelligent, they'll most likely be really lonely. I've seen this happen with my dad. Ask anyone who know my dad what they think of him, first thing they'd say is "most intelligent man I ever met" My mom even say that it was his intelligent that attract him to her. But for as long as I can remember, I can easily count the amount of friends he have with single hand. He just cannot really make any friend and always seems to have trouble with almost anything relate to social. In fact thinking about all of his careers, the job he kept longest and did the best was when he work lone.

But I've known some very intelligent person who socialize just fine. But I'm sure it take a lot of practice and patience for them to achieve that. Even after that, they still need a lot of time to themselves away from others.

So I gotta to agree with Amelia. I think majority of members on Blue Blood IQ are at least above average. Just by looking at the conversation on this forum, people can easily tell that most of members here really don't think like one of the crowds. In my opinion this show that most people here have at least above average IQ. However I think in the end, the real question is what type of person are you? Your personality affect the way you thinking and how you react to your surrounding with other people way more than IQ does.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I would just like to know how accurate I.Q. tests really are.

I had my I.Q. tested when I was a kid and I scored a 128. Yet, as much as I know this is an above average score, I've never really felt that I was "above average" in my thinking process. I did pretty good when I was in school, but the older I get, the more average I feel. So many of you are very articulate in how you express yourselves on these comments and most of the time, I just feel like I'm the dumb one in the crowd on here.

My comments, on the whole, are very basic and basic is how I roll. I just don't really know if I can actually believe that the "128" I scored is really a true measure of my intelligence.

It does matter for me.

I try not to divide people by any means, BUT we all divide folks by something. Some people more extreme, like by color or nationality. While other less extreme like music style or physical appearance.

I do divide people by smart/stupid. You can't say that IQ doesn't affect ones wisdom. Wisdom, knowledge and cleverness isn't same but is interconnected deeply with each other.

I'll rather meet a smart and wise person and cut trough all the crap and go straight to the point than meet a surface thinking person that needs drawings to understand certain simple things.

Xavialune's Avatar Senior Member

IQ really just represents abstract capabilities. Im sure it has *something* to do with your intellectual capabilities..but really, most people score average and can increase their intelligence still. Super geniuses and mentally retarded people...sure it matters. But think of it this way..there is a fine line between super genius and insane.

Xavialune's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones

I had my I.Q. tested when I was a kid and I scored a 128. Yet, as much as I know this is an above average score, I've never really felt that I was "above average" in my thinking process. I did pretty good when I was in school, but the older I get, the more average I feel. So many of you are very articulate in how you express yourselves on these comments and most of the time, I just feel like I'm the dumb one in the crowd on here.

My comments, on the whole, are very basic and basic is how I roll. I just don't really know if I can actually believe that the "128" I scored is really a true measure of my intelligence.
    Like I said I dont think it scores your intelligence at the time. When most people get their IQ's testes, as teenagers, they are probably not as smart as an older person who also scores a 128. Its the measurement of your *capabilities*. However, I think in most cases except the 2 I mentioned above this is just a number and you can exceed it.

Does it matter in relation to what? Does having a high IQ mean you are a happier person? Probably not. Does having a high IQ mean you will be successful in life? Maybe, but being smart without being motivated wont get you anywhere. Plus there a plenty of smart people out there who lack common sense and that can screw them over too.

Personally I'd like to take a real IQ test just for fun. I've done online ones but I assume those aren't very accurate. I would like it if I got a high score but if I didn't I really wouldn't worry much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Envy
    Just by looking at the conversation on this forum, people can easily tell that most of members here really don't think like one of the crowds.
    I am not sure what you are going for here. Are you saying the masses are sheep because they have a collectively low IQ? I highly doubt this assumption. Social conditioning is why many people are sheep. A high IQ will not necessarily make a person break from the herd. It takes re-socialization, whether it be from alternative parents or a bad experience with the mainstream to desire seperation from the safe pack.

Still, I am not sure how accurate IQ tests are. I am skeptical of them. Regardless, like many other people have already said, it is just a measurment of a person's intelligence capacity.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

Nope. IQ is meaningless to me. Its just another statistic to be called upon in a dick measuring contest.

Quote Originally Posted by LeilaHazlett
    Personally I'd like to take a real IQ test just for fun. I've done online ones but I assume those aren't very accurate..
    i dont blame ya. the online ones probably arent very accurate,tried taking an online rorscach test before leaving to pick mom up and ugh. what a joke that fucking was.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Reign
    I am not sure what you are going for here. Are you saying the masses are sheep because they have a collectively low IQ? I highly doubt this assumption. Social conditioning is why many people are sheep. A high IQ will not necessarily make a person break from the herd. It takes re-socialization, whether it be from alternative parents or a bad experience with the mainstream to desire seperation from the safe pack.

Still, I am not sure how accurate IQ tests are. I am skeptical of them. Regardless, like many other people have already said, it is just a measurment of a person's intelligence capacity.

I think having an extremely high IQ absolutely will break someone from the herd. Same as having an extremely low IQ will. Or being really beautiful. Or being really physically unappealing.

People who are way off to the top or bottom of the bell curve simply will be marginalized. They will not be permitted to really be part of the herd, even if they would like to be. And of course many who do not wholly identify with those around them just won't wholly want to be part of the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    It does matter for me.

I try not to divide people by any means, BUT we all divide folks by something. Some people more extreme, like by color or nationality. While other less extreme like music style or physical appearance.

I do divide people by smart/stupid. You can't say that IQ doesn't affect ones wisdom. Wisdom, knowledge and cleverness isn't same but is interconnected deeply with each other.

I'll rather meet a smart and wise person and cut trough all the crap and go straight to the point than meet a surface thinking person that needs drawings to understand certain simple things.

Deeply true

An IQ of 128 would place you in approximately the 96th percentile. That means that, if you manage your life well, you can find many intellectual peers, and many people you feel are brighter. 4% of the population is still a lot of people. But it still means that you will find that 95% of the people you meet probably can't do what you can do. I can't speak for you, but some of your posts certainly indicate that you are able to figure out things that the people around you won't or can't.

Speaking only for myself, I know I thought I was brilliant in school because there are such easy measuring sticks for such things. I compensated for this in high school by having great tits and being able and willing to drink Marines under the table. At university, I didn't have to compensate because I was average there.

As an adult, I tend to think of myself as average and find myself regularly wondering what the fuck is wrong with other people. Why can't they get their heads around the simplest concepts? Why don't they see the obvious without having to have it spelled out for them? Why do they listen to idiotic tonal arguments instead of substance? The reality is that most of the population has trouble thinking critically and maintaining multiple pieces of important data in their heads. But I usually think someone just said something stupid, as opposed to thinking that it is unfortunate they are average.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

They made me take an IQ test in high school. They said it was something about how I would just not show up for 3 or 4 days, come in to take a test having no real idea as to what the test was over specifically, and still get an A. I never bothered to get the results because I really didn't and still don't care.

IQ is just a number for most people. It might matter if you were a NASA scientist, but they still blow up space shuttles. We all know there are different types of intelligence, be it mechanical, technical, or intilectual. I'm in a field where I have to be proficient at both mechanical and technical aspects and I work with a couple guys with seriously high IQ's that can't do the job because they over-analyze everything instead of going with the basic simple possibilities. I happen to consider myself dumb as a rock, but I'm one of the best in my shop because of my willingness to learn whereas as hard as the smart guys try they just don't pick it up.

As far as socially, most people don't even know their IQ, and it's not like anything really changes when you find out either. Someone's IQ isn't really a factor of their IQ but of how they were brought up. Most of the really smart people I've known in my life were raised to be that smart person and sheltered from a real social life and just didn't adapt as quickly as a "normal" person.

I think having an extremely high IQ absolutely will break someone from the herd. Same as having an extremely low IQ will. Or being really beautiful. Or being really physically unappealing.

People who are way off to the top or bottom of the bell curve simply will be marginalized. They will not be permitted to really be part of the herd, even if they would like to be. And of course many who do not wholly identify with those around them just won't wholly want to be part of the herd.
    I don't know. I am still hesitant to accept your opinion, dsepite the high amount of thought you have put into it. I will open my argument with a quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In Locke's philosophy, tabula rasa was the theory that the (human) mind is at birth a "blank slate" without rules for processing data, and that data is added and rules for processing are formed solely by one's sensory experiences. The notion is central to Lockean empiricism. As understood by Locke, tabula rasa meant that the mind of the individual was born "blank", and it also emphasized the individual's freedom to author his or her own soul. Each individual was free to define the content of his or her character - but his or her basic identity as a member of the human species cannot be so altered.
    I believe in this idea, as old as it is. Humans are born with blank minds. What they end up doing is a product of their enviornment and their upbringing and their experiences. If one finds comfort and peace with their upbrining, then they will be less likely to challenge it. I think this might even hold true in the case of someone with a high IQ. Perhaps it does not. I do not know, and this is where my argument may be shattered.

Still, let me continue. From my personal experience, I was raised well. My parents were nice. I did well in school. Still, I craved popularity. I wanted to be part of the herd (of course I did not know it was the herd back then). Yet, people rejected me. It was not until that rejection that I began questioning my existence. And, I would like to think that I am smart, an intellectual even, though no where near as intellectual as certain famous intellectuals. So, therefore, I am skeptical that even someone with a high IQ could override their social conditioning to be part of the herd unless there was some for of rejection or they made some sort of discover. Now, the latter I suppose IS more likely to happen with someone possessing a higher IQ. I could agree with you there. And maybe peope with high IQs recognize their blessing/curse and decide to simply pretend they are less smart in front of others simply to have their cake and eat it too. I am not sure if this is true, though, because I have reached a point in my intellectualism that the mere thought of socializing with people who lack intelligence infuriates me, and in the very least makes me feel like I am wasting my time.

***But I usually think someone just said something stupid, as opposed to thinking that it is unfortunate they are average.***

Haha! you know, I do this all the time. I also notice that it seems like on the whole, I think so many people are stupid and think and say stupid things. Maybe it's because they're average and I'm not. I know that sounds conceited saying that, but maybe that could actually be proof that I do have above average intelligence. Who knows?

An IQ of 128 would place you in approximately the 96th percentile. That means that, if you manage your life well, you can find many intellectual peers, and many people you feel are brighter. 4% of the population is still a lot of people. But it still means that you will find that 95% of the people you meet probably can't do what you can do. I can't speak for you, but some of your posts certainly indicate that you are able to figure out things that the people around you won't or can't.

Speaking only for myself, I know I thought I was brilliant in school because there are such easy measuring sticks for such things. I compensated for this in high school by having great tits and being able and willing to drink Marines under the table. At university, I didn't have to compensate because I was average there.

As an adult, I tend to think of myself as average and find myself regularly wondering what the fuck is wrong with other people. Why can't they get their heads around the simplest concepts? Why don't they see the obvious without having to have it spelled out for them? Why do they listen to idiotic tonal arguments instead of substance? The reality is that most of the population has trouble thinking critically and maintaining multiple pieces of important data in their heads. But I usually think someone just said something stupid, as opposed to thinking that it is unfortunate they are average.

***I compensated for this in high school by having great tits***

So, aaaah, are they still great? ( ;
    You know, once guys start thinking about women's flesh, I think automatically their I.Q.'s start going down.

I don't know how many times I've been at a party or an event having a deep discussion with some guy and a cute girl walks by. The guy will stop the discussion on a dime and say, "Jesus, did you see the ass on her!?! I'd like to bend her over my favorite coffee table and bang the shit out of her."

***But I usually think someone just said something stupid, as opposed to thinking that it is unfortunate they are average.***

Haha! you know, I do this all the time. I also notice that it seems like on the whole, I think so many people are stupid and think and say stupid things. Maybe it's because they're average and I'm not. I know that sounds conceited saying that, but maybe that could actually be proof that I do have above average intelligence. Who knows?
    I was frustrated as a little by stupidity of others. Then I learned that I shouldn't take it personally, they're are just the way they are. Many times I wished I was less smart and more plain person. Getting happy and excited for simplest things and so on....

About tabula rasa, that was my idea even before I ever heard of it. That brain is a motherboard without any connections, condensers, transistors and diodes at all and that we are those that build them up. I'm electrotechnician of electronic, hence the compartment. Then I figured out genetics. So I realised that a full person is a more like computer. We inherit a graphic card, sound card and limit for how big RAM memory and for how fast our processor might be. Only processor, bios, size of ram and operative system is that we develop. So there are boundaries in which way we'll think and act and learn. My father died when my bro was 1,5 years old. He looks almost exactly like him. Now, the way he thinks, talks, works, moves and acts is completely like my fathers even he never had chance to learn or see that. How so?

maybe he was a backup file?-thinking computer terms there.-

There is something about inherited memories... Indeed..

yep

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Then I figured out genetics. So I realised that a full person is a more like computer. We inherit a graphic card, sound card and limit for how big RAM memory and for how fast our processor might be. Only processor, bios, size of ram and operative system is that we develop. So there are boundaries in which way we'll think and act and learn. My father died when my bro was 1,5 years old. He looks almost exactly like him. Now, the way he thinks, talks, works, moves and acts is completely like my fathers even he never had chance to learn or see that. How so?
    I do believe that certain physical and chemical characteristics are inhereited, and perhaps they will give one a predisposition or certain instincts to act like a parent or a relative. However, to simply credit your brother's mimicry of your father to geneitics severly devaules the power of the subconcious mind. Even before a person knows it, he or she is assessing the world around him or her, and thus writing on his or her blank slate. Yes, I agree that we are born with certain programs, but I think that what the subconcious mind takes in is a far larger factor in determining behavior. A year and a half of constant processing (which is what infants and toddlers do... they explore and that information stores in the brain even if they do not know it or cannot effectively express it) was more than enough time for your brother to learn the attributes of your father, especially if your father's attributes were easily observeable (i.e., he was outgoing or something like that).

So all of this information is going to be more of an impact than IQ, unless the IQ is quite above the average, which I think is what Amelia is saying.

I don't know how many times I've been at a party or an event having a deep discussion with some guy and a cute girl walks by. The guy will stop the discussion on a dime and say, "Jesus, did you see the ass on her!?! I'd like to bend her over my favorite coffee table and bang the shit out of her."
    This sort of proves what I am saying. Say those guys you are talking with actually have higher IQs than average. They very well could not, but let's just be hypothetical. Men are conditioned by society to act in that manner from the day their baby eyes look at the television, or in some cases, look at their parents in their natural habitat. "Objectify women" is ***constantly*** bombarded into the minds of men. I think that people with high IQs would not act in such a chauvanistic manner because they would realize that their behavior is unrealistic and socially dictated. Yes, men have testosterone, but people with high IQs can grasp how their body works and control it. That is, if testosterone really plays a big a role in a man's life as a patriarchal science field states.

So, in sum, let's say those men you talk to has a high IQ. His behavior would suggest that social conditioning > IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian Reign
    This sort of proves what I am saying. Say those guys you are talking with actually have higher IQs than average. They very well could not, but let's just be hypothetical. Men are conditioned by society to act in that manner from the day their baby eyes look at the television, or in some cases, look at their parents in their natural habitat. "Objectify women" is ***constantly*** bombarded into the minds of men. I think that people with high IQs would not act in such a chauvanistic manner because they would realize that their behavior is unrealistic and socially dictated. Yes, men have testosterone, but people with high IQs can grasp how their body works and control it. That is, if testosterone really plays a big a role in a man's life as a patriarchal science field states.

So, in sum, let's say those men you talk to has a high IQ. His behavior would suggest that social conditioning > IQ.
    Or that when it comes to sex, a high I.Q. is as useful as a car model kit to a quadriplegic.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    You frustrate me. Does that mean you're stupid?
    LMAO I've never heard of anyone admitting they're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Envy
    LMAO I've never heard of anyone admitting they're stupid.
    There's always a first time for everything. Yes, I'm stupid, oh Allah the mighty.
    Only thing I know is actually how much I don't know

and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    They made me take an IQ test in high school. They said it was something about how I would just not show up for 3 or 4 days, come in to take a test having no real idea as to what the test was over specifically, and still get an A. I never bothered to get the results because I really didn't and still don't care.

IQ is just a number for most people. It might matter if you were a NASA scientist, but they still blow up space shuttles. We all know there are different types of intelligence, be it mechanical, technical, or intilectual. I'm in a field where I have to be proficient at both mechanical and technical aspects and I work with a couple guys with seriously high IQ's that can't do the job because they over-analyze everything instead of going with the basic simple possibilities. I happen to consider myself dumb as a rock, but I'm one of the best in my shop because of my willingness to learn whereas as hard as the smart guys try they just don't pick it up.

As far as socially, most people don't even know their IQ, and it's not like anything really changes when you find out either. Someone's IQ isn't really a factor of their IQ but of how they were brought up. Most of the really smart people I've known in my life were raised to be that smart person and sheltered from a real social life and just didn't adapt as quickly as a "normal" person.

Testers generally will not give your score, unless you are over eighteen. They will generally tell your parents and/or school administrators, depending on who ordered the testing, who paid for it, and your specific situation.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I rarely showed up to school so they probably gave up on trying to tell me. That and my parents stopped answering the phone if the call was from the school, they were tired of hearing about me not showing up or whatever wrong thing I did.

+ Reply to Thread