+ Reply to Thread

Thread: would you sacrifice graphics for gameplay?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default would you sacrifice graphics for gameplay?

if you could play a game with a good design to it, tons of levels and a decent difficulty level and major replayability, would it matter how good the graphics look or do lush panoramic 3-d environments and pixel shaded bump mathcing matter more?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: would you sacrifice graphics for gameplay?

psh. graphics. who needs em?

the last ssytem i bought was playstation. peice of junk.

the N64 rules my world and I'm sad that they aren't still making games for it.

i miss game cube. i bought one for s.t back when we were living togwether and i think i probably ended up playing it more than her. that ultimate spider-man aint no joke.

I could play that game forever. lol it's fun cus they let you have reasonable free roaming capabilitied along with random event missions so you can literally spend hours just swinging around town kicking ass it's pretty fun.

a ps2 would be nice. I miss wasting my life on vice city.

Ok, so x-box 360 has won me over (halo, guitar hero/rock band, left 4 dead and fear) but I still prefer old school.

yaknow, I've never ereally gotten into the whole guitar hero/ddr and cruisin world type games. im more an action person.

loved silent hill. that game gave me nightmares for a week. *freaky cenobyte children~shudders!*
    and the best way to play it is while playing ozzy's bark at the moon on full blast.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    if you could play a game with a good design to it, tons of levels and a decent difficulty level and major replayability, would it matter how good the graphics look or do lush panoramic 3-d environments and pixel shaded bump mathcing matter more?
    It depends on the game and what I enjoy about it. I like to big graphical open environments just for a change in scenery. I don't need a lot of action. If a game is fun because it makes me think, I don't tend to need super high end graphics.

Then try world of goo Forrest.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Psh, I still play 2D games. I've got emulators for NES, SNES, N64, and Sega Genesis, along with Atari.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Only if I'm looking for a game that has no real depth.
    Unfortunately, gaming companies in general have been doing this for nearly 10 years, and it's driven the game economy into a retarded stupor.

Sure. My favorite genre of games, the single player rpg, benefits endlessly more from large variety of side quests, character development options and in-depth dialogue than it benefits from a higher pixels/cm2 ratio.

Fallout 1/2, Planescape Torment and the like had some really appealing environments with simple low-resolution 2D top view graphics. Better graphics than that are only really justified when you get a lot of options for dressing your character up; and even then I'd rather have imaginative artists than a superior engine.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Coming from a guy that actually owned "Pong", I love how far graphics have come. But still if the gameplay sucks, then it doesn't matter how beautiful something looks. I look for games that have both replay value and beautiful graphics. I've played the emulators for shits and giggles, but they bore me to be honest with you. Been there, done that. We're in the age where we DESERVE both for our buck.

I would love to see some of the classics really souped up with killer graphics, but still have the same game engine. I've seen some remakes of say Missle Command and such and still the graphics are just not that great and imaginative or the game engine has changed and the game now plays differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I would love to see some of the classics really souped up with killer graphics, but still have the same game engine. I've seen some remakes of say Missle Command and such and still the graphics are just not that great and imaginative or the game engine has changed and the game now plays differently.
    My father in law is redoing breakout 2000 (he actually wrote breakout 2000, so he has the rights to redistribute too ) to be completely 3d.. it's pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    I think the N64 sucked, it didn't have anything on the PS1 although Goldeneye was fun.
    bullshit. the only thing ps1 has was Gex: enter the gecko. which was also on n64. hello, legend of zelda: ocarina of time? best game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    Psh, I still play 2D games. I've got emulators for NES, SNES, N64, and Sega Genesis, along with Atari.
    fo sho. but playing those games on a keyboard blows.some of them are even unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    bullshit. the only thing ps1 has was Gex: enter the gecko. which was also on n64. hello, legend of zelda: ocarina of time? best game ever.
    PS1 also had Spyro, Final Fantasy (plus the remakes) and Gran Turismo (which, even if you hated racing games, it was still bad ass)

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Don't forget about the original Resident Evil games, Alone in the Dark, and Silent Hill.

I've actually got the emulators set up to work with the Xbox 360 controller I use for my other pc games. It's a little different, but it works well.

Ok, i'll give you final fantasy. n64 did lack when it came to the rpg department. but spryo was just a rip off of banjo kazooie. search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Gt was pretty cool, but I would argue that it was just a continuation of cruisin USA. on top of that n64 had road rage, which beats out (literally, with a bat) all other racing games.

For fuck sake: there is NO comparison. Even Nintendo fan boys don’t dare defend the N64.

Believe me, i really really wanted to love the N64 but it smelled of watery shit to the same extent that dutch pedo’s penises smell of Thai vaseline. I mean how many good games did it have? 3?

Offhand without even concentrating I can name a load of playstation games that rocked: FF7, Resident Evil, Valkyrie profile, legacy of kain, alundra, gta, breath of fire, Bushido Blade, Tekken 3, carmageddon and so much more. Did i mention FF7? Oh and Castlevania symphony of the night? Final fantasy 7 eats Ocarina of Time and shits it out with cheese. Zelda games since a link to the past are so boring and childish.
    I actually like "Demolition Derby" although it wasn't really full of skill. I just liked mashing into other cars. I also liked "Twisted Metal".

Zelda games since a link to the past are boring and childish. An rpg with no story? An rpg with no stats?
    what do you mean? of course they had a story. and none of them had stats, since zelda was never a turn-based rpg. although because it had quests and items, it is considered to be the first and best rpg video game.

you're just a hater, and if you don't like the n64, that's fine, but it was the pioneer of 3D gaming systems.

zelda never gets kidnapped or rescued by link in that game.

you could say the same thing about FF7. cloud spouts off some emo shit about how his life sucks, gay colorful shit happens,every five steps a bad guy appears and you take turns fighting, the ewoks blow up the death star... i mean the meteor. the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    it is considered to be the first and best rpg video game.

you're just a hater, and if you don't like the n64, that's fine, but it was the pioneer of 3D gaming systems.
    Actually, it's considered an action-adventure, not an rpg.

And I have to think that Square was the pioneer of 3d gaming in general. They kinda set the bar, though I don't discount Nintendo for their system pioneering, just that it was kinda all at the same time.

Square pioneered Japanese rpgs but they had negligible influence on 3D gaming. Are you talking about FF7 coz most of that was pre-rendered. Or maybe I’m missing something; what games are you referring to?

But yeh, Ocarina was an action RPG; a total abomination of a genre.
    I am talking of the pre-rendered, but it's what inspired companies to go "Hm... maybe we can get our actual gaming to look that way"

FF vs Zelda debates? lol.

They were both fun. FF has cool looking characters and awesome worldsettings and plots that bear thinking about on any level you can... but frankly, somewhat clumsy game mechanics, and stats/machanical character development that was nothing to write home about. Creative, but it never lost the appearance of being a senseless mess of numbers to me, and I'm the calculated character optimising type. It was easy enough to get them up and score a lot of damage, mind, but it never felt as if this was achieved by reaching milestones in character development or otherwise had much to do with the game's 'real' world.

Zelda is simple, but intuitive and elegant in that; and while the characters and plots are childish it has this intense atmosphere that really pulls you in to live the game. Simple things like forest elf villages, ocarina tunes and riding a horse through the rain over the hyrule plains really stick. Ganon and his plots were pretty lame though; all in all, the Zelda games I've played were all most memorable inbetween stuff actually happening.

did anyone else make their own little walk through for the mountain section of adventures of link?

Ok then why don't you retell the story in all its stunning glory?
    no thanks, I'm not going to waste my time on such an endeavor. but if that's your thing...

blah blah mundane details about final fantasy blah
    ...good for you.

I didn't bother reading it because no one else cares about the "stunning glory" of video game plots.

Zelda was a fun game to play with multiple interactive elements. final fantasy was also a fun game, but I would say that it lacked the game play value in that it was nothing but cutscenes (as well done as they were), repetitive duels and the typical RPG formula of walking around and talking to people which I find pretty boring for a game.

I don't have anything against PS, the reason that i said it was a piece of junk system was because mine broke six months after I bought it (I also personally know of two other people that have gone through 3 PS2's between them), compared to my N64 which is still working a decade later.

In IGN's rank of 100 best games of all time, two of the top ten are N64, and no PS games are included. Ranked at number 2 is Zelda: ocarina of time "Considered by many critics to be the greatest game ever made, Nintendo's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of only a handful of games to receive a perfect IGN rating.", behind the original Mario bros taking the number 1 spot; Mario 64 is number five.

Once again, I'm not disparaging on the playstation, just on Allah's statement that the 64 is poorly thought of by the video game community.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I took different rout, I have the monster gaming PC. Consoles games are like the PC games in the early days producing anything to fill the market with crap. The way graphic card are right now, you really do not have to sacrifice. the PC is so limited to games most of the time only the best are place there.

now I will say there is game that i have had for 15 years now. I still play to this day, Harpoon classic naval and air simulation wargame. everything is 2D graphics, its looks and feel like you are looking a radar seen in some battle group. Realism and real time to the tee.. it say 36 hours to complete mission the game means it. USSR Nato what could happen mission... I sleep on my couch sometime just let the game run. Only waking up to see about an alert, Sub contact, air strike, and ect.....

so yes, I would sacrifice graphic for game play... In the realm of now in 2009 you really do not have to, unless it is classic game close to your heart

lol - Bacchuss88 busted for image theft. Steelingz teh pix3ls!

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I would but theres a limit. I started Kingdom Hearts again, and I keep thinking that the second one looked so much better and was so much easier to play.

Still getting funnier itt.

I'd sacrifice graphics for gameplay. The story would have to be awesome and certain games just are not cut out for bad graphics anymore.

RPGS/Adventure Games/Strategy games = Great with crappy graphics and good gameplay.

FPS/Racing/Sports etc = Need good graphics to be competitive.

Bedlamite

Boring games are boring even with lush graphics, but I'm a big fan of graphics, so I'd be hard pressed to sacrifice.

No choice - Must run level of graphics on low or near lowest for WoW to run on my laptop successfully. It is painful. But my digital veins have started pulsing again for the WoWjection so there.

Terenas: 77 Warrior [Taarna]
    Extra points for anyone who can name the movie that name's from.

So let me get this right; you bought a playstation with Gex: Enter the Gecko
    No, I played it on 64, of course. the playstation broke at some point after beating MGS but before playing siphon filter.

oh i loved syphon filter! electrocuting badguys with the tasers till the cooked alive was epic.

+ Reply to Thread