+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Message Boards

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

Default Message Boards

This is the first message board/online community that I have ever participated in and I like it.
    But, my question is...
    Where does one draw the line? Are these people considered a group of friends, or just entertainment? Would it be odd if one had no friends in real life, but had a great connection and relationship with thier "group"? Do people get upset over arguments or posts here?
    I know people who never go outside of thier homes because they are always hanging out thier friends (strangers on messages boards and communities.)
    What do you guys think? How much time and emotion do you put into these posts?

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Default Re: Message Boards

You have to get out and meet people I wish I had the time and money to meet Forrest and Amelia....a long time ago people would travle miles to meet intellects and ilk of a similar style to learn and grow. as for people getting upset about post I am sure there are people on here who are over sensitive enough to be damaged by words typed by and individual they will probably never meet. as for people who live near you it's a great way to make friends...or enemies. for me I don't put too much emotion I try to be as much me on here as I am in person. As you can tell my typing is poor...I am really trying to work on it. As for me I don't have many friends but numerous eqauitances. As for this board I treat as people interacting with interesting Ideas and opinions I don't get too upset what people say on here, I just state an opinion..if people agree or not doesn't bother me because it's an OPINION not law or a rule. I conside BB a group of intersting individuals but...please don't take this the wrong way folks not Friends. you have to physicall and verbally and scoially interact to make friends with people. You have to go through experiences both good and bad. I find some people actually become totally different on these things then they are in person, like and experiment to see what does what and how people react. Which is pretty pathetic. some people try to become "scenesters" and some how manage to become godlike like everything they do is great and to go against it is blasphemy. so my final sentence is its a great place to exchange ideas but it isn't somehwere to throw your life away too. I come on here at night for a couple of hours everynight..I love this site, so many people here are so smart and kind...it's nice and rare on these sites. Alot of them are filled with over sexed teenagers and morons. This place is just downright fun and I enjoy comming here. and as I can see by my post a little too much.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Good questions...they are ones I've asked myself many times.

These boards are still really young so how things develop is anyones guess but so far they are going quite well.

One first has to understand some here are indeed friends in the offline world...so that does effect how one interacts with some members. But unlike other boards one does not feel left out or unwelcomed because of it.

I don't know if we're friends here yet...but I do think it can happen. Right now we're very much a new lil community finding it's legs...all this effects how one takes things said here or how much energy one puts into it. The more you feel a connection with people the more you are inclined to put some of yourself into it all. Boards like this are nothing new so the dynamics of them have been debated time and again...some say it's unhealthy to feel more connected to strangers online than peopel offline...while others simply find they are more easily accepted since standard social norms are ignored or non essential.

Would any of us get along or be friends offline? Would we discuss what we discuss here say in a diffrent setting like a bar or resteraunt? Who knows...but that's not really the point. You can't make a place like this fill in the social voids you have in your day to day life. They can help but ultimately they are just not as fullfilling.

All this gets really frustrating for some though since you finally meet people you can connect with but they are still at arms length or simply will never and can never be what you wish they were. It's all very odd since you meet the kind of people you would love to have as friends...but it just can't realisticly happen for some.

I've found it's jsut best to take it for what it is...half real half fake...a healthy mix. I pretty much work from 3pm to 3am...and I keep this in the background while I wait for renders, ink to dry, slug through a paragraph, or work on a drawing. It's been a nice way to make the days go faster and seem less lonely since I work from a home office.

Personally...there are a few I'd like to meet and hang out with but know full well it would probably be a BAD idea...like another said...the way people are online if very diffrent than they are offline...for good or ill.

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

Ya, I agree CPRB. I too wish that I were close enough to hang with Forrest and Amelia. I would be gettin' crazy naked for thier sites!
    These groups are very enjoyable and I too check in daily to see what's up, but would never live my life around it like some folks do (not at BB in particular.) If I were there in person, with F&A, it might be a different story. I'd probably be heavily involved, as it would be part of my job as a BarelyEvil member and model.
    I just wanted some opinions about how other members are involved, being that we are located around the world.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteCliche
    Ya, I agree CPRB. I too wish that I were close enough to hang with Forrest and Amelia. I would be gettin' crazy naked for thier sites!
    Ah what a wonderful sight that would be...

interesting point- there was a two year period when the vast majority of socializing for me was almost purely online..some things led to real life connections...but I eventually realized two things -- internet groups all too often do attract assholes (Im certainly not saying this of BB)--
    And that two years absolutely taught me a lesson abt the importance of real life- face to face- intimate (not necessarily sexual) human contact...it was a hard learned lesson , too.
    It's a credit to BB- that I've gotten drawn back in a bit..cool, fun people here..
    P.

These groups are very enjoyable and I too check in daily to see what's up, but would never live my life around it like some folks do (not at BB in particular.) If I were there in person, with F&A, it might be a different story. I'd probably be heavily involved, as it would be part of my job as a BarelyEvil member and model.
    I just wanted some opinions about how other members are involved, being that we are located around the world.
    Friend- as someone might've already said..you can get crazy naked for this site without being in town...P.

This is the first message board/online community that I have ever participated in and I like it.
    But, my question is...
    Where does one draw the line? Are these people considered a group of friends, or just entertainment? Would it be odd if one had no friends in real life, but had a great connection and relationship with thier "group"? Do people get upset over arguments or posts here?
    I know people who never go outside of thier homes because they are always hanging out thier friends (strangers on messages boards and communities.)
    When you start questioning your self questions like this then is *seriously* time for you to leave internet

don't get me for real in this up
    I use internet mostly like resource for new music (like pro) and boards like this (specialy this one) is good for killing time between a music and party's and it's good to learn something new or new people.....

over boards like this or chat's people can find they true love because here is mind that mathers.... no visual... that's how i got somebody on my back hopefuly i didn't gave out my adress or anything (get it like advice)

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

I am a gigantic dorknerd. I've met about eight people in person after befriending them online, and I'm living with one of them now. We're getting married in the spring. That's how much time and emotion I put into message boards.

I spend way too much time on here when I should be studying--I have to limit my intake to an hour a day and sometimes I go over. Then there's e-mail and I end up spending too much time there too...Oh I should cut back before my grade point slumps.

Mother Superior

My coping strategy in dealing with people online and in real life is understanding that we all think differently, and have had different life experiences. I am a nice person so I don't have a problem reaching out to a person I have never met, a human being is a human being in my eyes. I have compassion and empathy for anyone who would treat me with kindness. There are elements to message boards that can be frustrating, mainly that we aren't really doing this exchange in real time. You are just typing to a comment you may or may not disagree with. That's just how message boards work. Of course people say things I don't agree with, just as people don't agree with what I say. As they say, we agree to disagree. I look at each person on here as an equal and I regard them as people who I can be myself with. We share some of the same feelings inside of us.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

In all honesty, some of you piss me off fucking royal everytime you post, but it's kinda like a weird family. Even though I get pissed it doesn't mean I don't like you. I actually like the tension.I have friends offline but they are all too close to me for me to say what I really want sometimes. Does that make sense? I'm not afraid of hurt feelings here because it's just a big discussion. I think that's cool. There are a couple of people on here I wouldn't mind meeting (tequila shots with Tequila) but I would be afraid of being disappointed...or in some cases molested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    I spend way too much time on here when I should be studying--I have to limit my intake to an hour a day and sometimes I go over. Then there's e-mail and I end up spending too much time there too...Oh I should cut back before my grade point slumps.
    Yep won't get into a good US med school without that good gpa- so you must cut back except of course for the good lech threads..P.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

But, my question is...
    It is kind of my goal to recreate in digital form the excitement of the early days of Blue Blood and BLT and my old punk rock group house Cambodia. In the digital age, more and more people are not connecting in the physical world and something needs to take the place of that. I mean, I live in Los Angeles and Melrose used to be a hang out any day of the week and super-duper so on weekends. Now Melrose is a ghost town with boarded up shop windows. I was sad that none of the online communities I found were much like the community Blue Blood first grew out of and was created for. Then it occurred to me that I could make a place for like-minded people to meet and interact and share different views and exchange the fruits of varied extraordinary lives.

So I guess for me it is an adaptive process, part of the evolution of how humans socialize, and I do put a lot of who I am into what I post and read here.

I'm glad your naked hotness is on BarelyEvil.com but I really want for me and Forrest to shoot you some time soon. Private message me with some info on your schedule and where you are located when and we will figure something cool out.

GasmaskGirl That is so cool I am happy for you I had to realtionships that started of the net and they both ended misreably..I am honestly and sincerely glad yours is working so well. as for AMelia, all I cna say is thankyou, as for MidnightCliche..you mena you haven't got crazy naked yet for BB? get a move on!

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

We've known Midnite for a while now. I have a really hot interview with her on BarelyEvil.com and lots of sexy pictures and stuff, but we have not managed to hang out together just yet. I am looking forward to it though. I really like her bunches!

I am really pleased to be getting to know some of you folks here in this community as well. I enjoy the fact that the conversations have a wide range, some serious, some silly, some deep, and not too many crankfests. I like that a lot and it would make me a lot more interested in getting to meet some of you folks at future events or something.

for now I'm only interested for meeting brightstar... and torturing him a lil bit

Forrest that would be cool....I think it's because there are no hidden agendas waht you see is what you get....one day i am going to Pm some peope on here so I get to know em a little better..I think the have some intresting things to offer in ideas and opinions and it owuld be wrong not to get to hear what they say....I am just super shy...on here and in person....

countessnichole's Avatar Wicca, Friend, Lover.

I like to come to message boards to converse with others and to also study. yes, I study the behaviors of everyone i meet. I'm just that way, I can't help to feel the need to try to immerse myself to most people. Thus far, it's been a good experience because there hasn't been any negativity toward me.

Messageboards for me bridge the gap that keeps me from being social sometimes. I may not have a whole lot to put into this particular board, but I try my hardest.

+ Reply to Thread