+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 'Scene'...where's the unity??

ANJ134's Avatar Junior Member

Default The 'Scene'...where's the unity??

i dunno if this applies for everyone, but here in the UK it feels as though the idea of community has disappeared.
    When I go to gigs people often appear to have a lack of friendlyness to those they don't know.
    Its lovley to go to a gig and actually get along with the next man, cos surely we are all their to appreciate the music?!?!
    Same goes with the fetish scene. Although luckily Torture Garden and other such clubs have an amazingly friendly and vibrant atmosphere.
    Festivals like 'Punk Aid' and 'Wasted'(previously holidays in the sun) people are lovely, inviting and just alround relaxed. Old punks, young ones, skin head, hippies, elvis and his granny...a variety of people and with no divide.
    So lets all have a phat smile, lets not fear the next set of eyes we see, and just try to get along

Human Liberation is the only way

Default Re: The 'Scene'...where's the unity??

true =/

I wish I lived on place like this

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

i agree i've been to loads of gigs in the past and it's always great to just talk to people because you know for a fact your gonna have the band your seeing to talk about but it's very rare these days.
    Festivals are great though because you can just get wasted and make a few thousand friends

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I'd be a nice change of pace but it seems the kind of attitude that should be reserved for those that look down upon a scene is carried over to those who are a part of the scene...

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

here here!

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I think a lot of that attitude is why I ducked out of the 'scene'. I got very disillusioned with people being so snotty to each other.

Recently though I've found it to be a bit better. People being if not nicer than at the very least not abject assholes.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

"Sure, we've all tasted oppression, but still we stand in division, letting fashion taint our vision and thinking that our clothes alone damage the system."

-Against Me!, same old song.
    one of my favorite lyrics, and very appropriate to this situation.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

see the problem is that you are still thinking "inside the box." there will never be real unity until you stop thinking about "scenes" and this whole 'us and them' mentality. what's the point of a unified 'scene' if it's still only to compete with opposing scenes? why keep the "underground" confined to such narrow spaces, anyway?
    if we put all that energy into expanding the spaces in which we interact as free, equal human beings, rather than trying to repair the burning machinery of this doomed society, we could at least make as much of an impact. Imagine what we could achieve if we kept all our potential in our own hands, and refused to waste it ever again working for some "system" for even a minute.
    There's no excuse to let a fraction of our lives go by doing things we don't love, or to let any of our talents and efforts serve to prop up a world order we oppose. Instead, let's fight so hard, and live so hard, that other's inside the cages of mainstream life can see us and are inspired to join us in our complete rejection of the old world and all its bullshit. And let's make our communities something greater than they are; let's make them more open and more capable of offering life support, so that other's really will be able to join us.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

You think it's bad in the UK try New York for REALLY unfriendly people!!!! But then, New York is famous for that. I mean, the club promoter at one of the main goth clubs is now IN JAIL FOR SECOND DEGREE MURDER!!! And I hope they re-instate the death penalty.

I mean killing people is pretty unfriendly... The club scene here is actually dangerous... Lot of drugs, lot of crack, lot's of violence and anger...

Websites are much easier.... Actually though I did venture out to the Drop Dead Festival to see my lovely boy toy perform, he was great! I enjoyed that. But the bouncers kept telling us to move, and it cost me $30.00, and then I got the usual someone asking me for a free CD. It's very expensive to be goth....

okay I am prejudice for one reason I am getting sick of people sayin it's hard to be punk it's hard to be goht it's hard to be gay it's hard ot be this and that...fer fuck sakes were human and it's life..it's just damn hard Like morning glory said so long as there are labels and the us against them mentality through out society were alwasy going to have pissed of dissillusioned humans with narrow visons of the abilities to exist as unified living breathing existence....drop the labels and feel the wieght cease of oppresion and other such tripe....once you call yourself or align yourself with anyhitng your like a fish in barrel and is a barrel anyhwere for a fish to be?

corachaos's Avatar Dorky Girl

I find that scenes break up into different camps quite often. It's sort of a natural progression. The umbrella would be the love of a musical style and look. From there the scene (expecially here) breaks naturally along differnet lines based on age, genra specific style (punk, death rock, old scool, baby bats, etc.), along sexual proclivity (gay/lesbian/bi, fetishists, victorians) and often by educational or intelectual background. Sometimes those factions come together quite naturally. (think of circles who sometimes overlap) sometimes the wrong circles come toghether, and someone feels "out of place" among people who are "out of place" in "normal" society.

/end lecture.

and your little dog too

I like that I feel like people with cool overlap have always come together with blue blood.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

And you can totally tell the ones who are unable, or unwilling, to overlap...

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I'm not really a goth, I'm not really anything, but I go to a lot of goth/industrial shows and usually they're cool people......... but I come off as unfriendly or disinterested, but usually I'm not......... I just don't know how to talk to people really well, 11 different schools in 12 years can do that

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

i see a lot of unity in my local "scene" but then again, i live in a small town, and there's about 4 bands, and about 40-60 people who ever go to the shows

thats preatty good actually for a small town....it's better then 1 and none...

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    thats preatty good actually for a small town....it's better then 1 and none...
    i shouldnt have said small town. actually theres like 3-4 towns in the area that contribute to those figures. But yeah, i really like this area and all the music happening here

Pen. state has some amazing bands.......as for this overlapping circle thing???? sorry I don't buy it the whole idea was that there were no overlapping circles and there were no genres and that this that and the other thing didn't matter, what mattered was there was a positive if sometimes overly aggresive energy towards a positive means and aswers....punk is not math unless you're into emo....as hippyish as this may sound punk was a cry for equality through the truth of things and not the PC pandering fascism that controls us today. It's the fact that people are welcome here and can say what they feel...be it the right or the wrong and through that they grow. know the saying a cigar is a cigar is a cigar...as is life and everything else. circles are for frisbees and hoolahoops.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

Quote Originally Posted by ANJ134
    i dunno if this applies for everyone, but here in the UK it feels as though the idea of community has disappeared.
    When I go to gigs people often appear to have a lack of friendlyness to those they don't know.
    Its lovley to go to a gig and actually get along with the next man, cos surely we are all their to appreciate the music?!?!
    Same goes with the fetish scene. Although luckily Torture Garden and other such clubs have an amazingly friendly and vibrant atmosphere.
    Festivals like 'Punk Aid' and 'Wasted'(previously holidays in the sun) people are lovely, inviting and just alround relaxed. Old punks, young ones, skin head, hippies, elvis and his granny...a variety of people and with no divide.
    So lets all have a phat smile, lets not fear the next set of eyes we see, and just try to get along

Human Liberation is the only way
    I noticed the same here in Germany. On one of the Oi concerts I've been to, about a year ago, I was moshing with a skinhead pal, because no one else did, and some guy with a mohawk and a tshirt that said "punk's not red" decided that I suck and wanted to beat me up. Too bad (for him) I didn't have just one skinhead pal along with me, so we outnumbered him and his guys and there was no need to fight.
    Now since I'm in Berlin, nothing actually changed. All the so called punks are totally superficial, even more that those wussy gothic-wannabe-fags, and I had several encounters with guys who didn't like some of my tats or clothes.
    That's why I don't care about any scene anymore. I have my very own reasons to look and dress like I do and listen to certain music, I don't need anyone to tell me what I may or may not do.
    Everything was so much better when I was like 15 or 16, I was never threatened by anyone but nazi skins back then.

I agree. Seems to be like it used to be that sure we sometimes got in fights but there was a unity if you were all outside the mainstream and there was something in common.

+ Reply to Thread