+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lexx

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Lexx

Anyone here watch the show or a fan of it?

For those who have no idea what it is or think it's a word I made up...Lexx is a Sci Fi show that ran for 4 seasons. In it's run it build up quite a fan following and is shaping up to be quite a "cult" show.

The appeal of it is that it takes EVERY sci fi cliche and spins it around into something offbeat, twisted and darkly funny. Kinda like the Anti - Star Trek. If you like Lynch and Cronenberg films you'll like Lexx.

It's the only Sci Fi show I know that has cannibals, sex bots, decapitations, and other assorted nastiness on a regular basis. The odd thing is it becomes so normal you sorta feel at home with it all after a while...kinda like it's a portriat of the true future.

Mixed with great storylines, solid character actors, and genuine originality...even non Sci Fi fans can enjoy it.

Keep in mind it was fairly low budget so it has that campy look to it...but it uses it as part of it's overall look and though it can take a while to get the over all picture of the series...the episode to episode stories don't leave you out of the loop...even if you missed say the last 6 episodes.

Usually Lexx airs on the Sci Fi channel at ungodly hours...but they ARE on DVD...and well worth it.

Give it a look if you're looking for something diffrent and fun to watch.
    Last edited by Tequila Zaire; 05-29-2004 at 04:17 AM.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Lexx

I'll stick it in my TiVo and check it out. Just watched a couple of episodes of Tripping the Rift. Not sure what I think of it. I like aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooo ooooooooost like it. You seen that one? Have any thoughts on it?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I'm the same way...not sure of it yet...it reminds me a lot of that sequence with the two eternally high aliens from Heavy Metal.

The one problem I do have with it is that at times it holds itself back...like the writers can't go all the way with some sequences and jokes...dunno if it's censors or stuff related to the audience their targeting...but it's holding the show back from being really funny.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Heavy Metal is one of my favorite movies of all time. I so wanted white hair and a sword and a badass bar attitude like Tarna when I was 14.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Heavy Metal is one of my favorite movies of all time. I so wanted white hair and a sword and a badass bar attitude like Tarna when I was 14.
    I wanted the same thing at 14 only for diffrent reasons. As I got older though I really enjoyed her character more...the fact she never said a word really made that whole sequence personal...it's like everyone has their own interpritation of Tarna because of it.

Futrama has all that stuff also.

That new show that I hate, would be: Tripping The Rift.

Lexx is a good show most of the time also

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

Tripping the Rift is pretty aggressively lowbrow, but it isn't as deliberately lousy as Stripperella.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    Tripping the Rift is pretty aggressively lowbrow, but it isn't as deliberately lousy as Stripperella.
    I agree, I cant stand those shows!

+ Reply to Thread