+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passion of the Christ !!!

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

Default Passion of the Christ !!!

I posted a while ago about the movie, as I had not seen it. I don't care much for religious cliches, tales and beliefs. I don't care how accurate is the film is, who it blames or anything like that. I never need to watch it again. What my whole thought throughout the entire film was; I am appauled and disgusted that people all over the world (mainly religious ones) took and allowed their children to see this!!! In their minds, the kids need to see it to understand their faith and how it all happened. But children could never understand or grasp this film. All they see is the brutal, and I mean brutal gore and violence!!! Talk about fucking up your kid for life !!!! Makes me sick....

Default Re: Passion of the Christ !!!

Thats what I have been stating since the movie was even released.

Well, I totally agree. The movie is mainly about the crucifixtion and is brutallity based....that's really it. There was so much more that could have been covered in the Christ tale, but whatever....

Hula Hoop Supervisor

You underestimate children and their ability to understand the world around them. You'd be surprised to find out that kids do understand "adult" concepts when given the chance...do they know how to apply them? Well that is where a parent, mentor, and adult steps in. Violence unto our fellow man is not something kids are magicly immune to...we were all kids and we all remember our first contact with the unpleasent parts of life. To say a film about a brutal act will fuck a kid up only underestimates children and the ability to teach them...plus it's hypocritical given the world of adults.

Why is it as we get older we thing those younger than us are stupid?

You want to be appauled and disgusted? Look at how children are treated by adults in general both in schools and at home...that does more damage and influences them much more than any film ever could.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yes I agree that showing children snuff films is a bad idea this ones worse because i think at some parts its unrealisticly gory

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

dont know havent seen it but i heard it was good but very gorey from a boy in my maths class last year so no i probably wouldnt allow a kid to see it

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

I think I would be doing my child a disservice by shocking or guilting them into faith or belief. I would hope that the faith in my own life would be enough of an example for them to want to look into it themselves and find their own path, no matter what I think. I would rather have that than a child that grows up telling me what I want to hear.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

There seems to be this subconscious acceptance that 'The Passion...' is depicting a historical episode. There's very little in the way of worthwhile evidence to suggest that Jesus existed, let alone that he did any of the crazy crap recorded in the Bible. Bear in mind this is a book that contains more implausible nonsense than every episode Monty Python put together - talking bushes? parting oceans? dudes swallowed and then coughed up by a big fucking fish ferchrissakes?! Imagine trying to film some of the miracles without it coming across like some kind of zany comedy. That thing with the fish and the bread for example. Perhaps that's why Monty Python are the only ones to ever make a half-convincing movie about the whole sorry episode.

On the other hand, if 'The Passion...' helps underline the fact that Christianity's an anti-semitic death cult for unrecognised masochists, then it may have a valid educational role. I'll stick with 'Bloodsucking Freaks' - it's far more theologically sound.

On a side note: The Parting of the Red sea was proven on Discovery Channel, but it is a natural occurance that happens every year to several years.

I dont remember the specifics, but they even showed how it parted , and formed a walkway.

Most Christian miracles have been proven by science. They just were thought to be miracles back then. The same as the Greeks blaming thunder on Zeus, but we now know how thunder is made.
    In general, I felt the film to be unnessecary.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    On a side note: The Parting of the Red sea was proven on Discovery Channel, but it is a natural occurance that happens every year to several years.

I dont remember the specifics, but they even showed how it parted , and formed a walkway.
    The Red Sea never parted in the Bible........... it's a mistranslation, I'm in a class for the Old Testament, we're reading the Hebrew Bible, Moses parted the Sea Of Reeds with the help of god who created a storm to blow the water back and dry up the land under it....... The version of the old testament that all christians know was translated from Hebrew to Greek to English, but the people that were translating it in Egypt weren't in cahootz with the rabbis in Israel. The 70 books that are in the Catholic Bible are the ones that the Egyptian rabbis translated into Greek, the books of the Apocrypha were just pretty popular stories with the Jews at the time and just added them........ So when Luther did his whole reformation in Germany one of the things he did was take all the books of the OT that weren't in the Tanakh (hebrew bible) and put them into the apocrypha...... so books like Judith and Tobit are not in the Tanakh, also the books are rearranged, christians changed the order of the books to try to say that the prophets in Israel were correct about Jesus.

Jesus' name is a mistranslation too, it's supposed to be Joshua....... Also the Roman soldiers in the movie should have been speaking Greek since that was the trade language in that area (thanks to Alexander the Great)................
    And as far as the blood thing, if you have a bible, take a look at the book of Joshua, the Jews were told by god the way that they were supposed to invade a city, basically it was "kill every living thing, take no prisoners, because they might make you become Idolaters" the Old Testament has a bunch of interesting **** and pillage stories.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Interesting answers...not so much for content but for attitude (excluding Jasperino's well executed answer). Question is raises for me is if there is a double standard between violence and assoreted "dark" things used in say the goth scene (or any scene, community, etc.) and similar to identical actions used in religion. Is either really any better or worse? Is it our of jealousy and envy that something so mainstream pretty much surpasses even the darkest aspects of a scene so devoted to such an image?

For me they're two sides of the same coin where both shine when they get things right and fall apart when they give into fear and hypocrisy. I don't want to paint in a broad stroke here so I'll give a specific.

We've all run into the cliche' goth kid...one who for whatever reason has taken the well known aspects of a scene and managed to get part of right but much of it wrong. These are not the one's I'm talking about since they are more trendy than anything.

Since any scene, style, community is made up of a variety of people, personalities, and ideas it's pretty much impossible to classify everyone in such a thing under one banner...but as humans we try. The Goth scene is pretty much known for it's dark nature...but is it really any darker than something like mainstream religion or even preppy lil GAP shoppin kids? The music and art may have a dark tone but the people in tend to be pretty tolorent, open minded, and all in all much more interesting an diverse. At the same time though for all it's uniqueness it has many common traits with mainstream culture and a lot with christianity...lets face it the most well known goth things like black clothes, dark music, religious symbols remade and reused, etc....pretty much originated in that odd lil subculture cult that rose to rule the world. The attitudes are far more similar amoung the followers of each than any real diffrence if you get right down to the core of it all.

Where their is a key split is in how Jasperino put it...force of faith. That's the problem with many faiths, unless you have enlightened and fair parents you are pretty much coaxed or thrown into a faith without much of a choice. That will without debate influence your attitudes and beleifs as you grow into an adult. Enviornment effects a person...

Now on the other side of that one has to wonder what the kids of those commited to their respective scene will turn out like...what will "goth kids" kids turn out like? By right and might they will rebel agaisnt their parents due to simple nature...but will their parents own beleifs and intrests effect them in the same way those who grow up in religious focused households? As enlightened as such parents would like to think they are...wouldn't they still be unfairly influenceing their kids if they left out the things the parents "hate"?

I know this sounds a bit suspect since many of us here have yet to be parents but I think it's a fair question to those who do have kids. The reaosn I went so far with this lil trian of thought is due to a simple comment I heard that mimiced the attitudes here...A newly minted parent with similar beleifs one would find here stated they would never take their kids to a church or films like The Passion...but had no qualms about letting them watch Clockwork Orange or assorted Metal concerts. The attitude that one is "better" for the kid than the other is the SAME mentality the new parent seems to be trying to avoid but commiting none the less.

Now I grew up with the parents who let me watch Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now, and R rated films at a young age so I never bought into the whole notion that stuff will corrupt a kid or make em all screwed up. They made a lot of mistakes along the way like all our parents do...however they never said "No" to something like taking me to a church (they were and still are not church going people) or letting me buy stuff like The Satanic Bible and taboo stuff other kids I knew would get in trouble for. I'd like to think many parents have similar attitudes though I know many pretty much end up heading down their own path of interests no matter the cost.

Still all that can be undone if one lets their own dislikes and views on a subject deny the next generation...some of the comments made seem to assume a kid will be braindwashed by a film or faith...look at yourselves a bit...each of you were exposed to similar at all ages and they did not dominate or turn you into a brain dead idiot right?

I WOULD take a kid to that if they were curious enough or I felt that they would be interested...as much as I may not be religious of follow christ like many do...I wouldn't want to continue the attitudes I say in that faith that turned me off to it. It's very possible to spread just as damaging a mentality by denying value to the things one "hates" in this world.

Look at the cliche' scenesters for proof...eventually they will breed and one hopes their offspring will not be similar disasters. I think the last thing the world needs are MORE people who get everything about their faith, beleifs, and ideals so half assed wrong they only end up hurting other people.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteCliche
    Most Christian miracles have been proven by science. They just were thought to be miracles back then. The same as the Greeks blaming thunder on Zeus, but we now know how thunder is made.
    Actually most of the important ones haven't...and Science has it's own mysteries that include faith as part of their doctrine. What makes science so interesting and cool is that it's not entirely fixed on one book or set of rules...even rigid things like Physics change drasticly at small and large levels...and the effects of all this are jsut as profound and influencing. Yet oddly much is accpeted and though possible the same way the uneducated massess accepted religion so easily...the less you know about something the more it seems possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteCliche
    Also , They proved that the Shroud of Turin wasn a Miracle, but had to do with radiation, heat, fire, and some other stuff.

They even did a test on the theory, and the EXACT same face came out on the new shroud.

Blah, this stuff is what tears the world apart. I am really uninterested in the whole thing....and I certainly do not plan on watching the film again, nor do I plan on giving it a good or bad revue. It is what it is and everyone knows it. Good make-up and effects, but just a controversial, violent sob-story.

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

Save your money and buy a snuff film for the kiddies.

I used to almost sort of kind of like mel gibson before he went and did that .

Nothing is more brutal than plans for a Lethal Weapon part five. Please won't someone nail me to something... bring the family.... anything but more lethal weapons for the love of buddah! *sigh*... whatever. It is what it is.

i agree about letting the kids see it it was gory but fuck look at today anyway the world (U.S.) is fucked anyway so i say move to europe!!!! we have been fucked ever since the 80's and its just going to keep getting worse i think the movie a good thing to show people what happened but i dont think kids needed to see it i mean kids are smart but still what if it gave them nightmares??

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

[QUOTE=hewhoisagod]The Red Sea never parted in the Bible........... it's a mistranslation, I'm in a class for the Old Testament, we're reading the Hebrew Bible, Moses parted the Sea Of Reeds with the help of god who created a storm to blow the water back and dry up the land under it.......QUOTE]

if it was the sea of reeds, a shallow swampy marsh that dried up when there was low annual rainfall... that explains how mosses and the isrealites were able to cross it... but you forgot about the second part of the story, where the river un-parts and drowns the pursuing egyptian army. how do you explain that? you can't. according to that thoery then the egyptians would have been able to cross the river as well and kill everyone.

I'm not saying that the bible is right. in fact, the opposite. I'm saying that you shouldn't try to use science to explain bullshit, because there is no logical explanation behind pure fantasy.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

not only have i seen it multiple times, i own a copy. while i agree with the fact that the movie should not be shown to kids under the age of 17. i like the movie. it does show the way it happened adn thats the way it was meant to be shown. if you dont understand the bible, you will never know why the movie is like that.

[QUOTE=Morning Glory]
    Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    The Red Sea never parted in the Bible........... it's a mistranslation, I'm in a class for the Old Testament, we're reading the Hebrew Bible, Moses parted the Sea Of Reeds with the help of god who created a storm to blow the water back and dry up the land under it.......QUOTE]

if it was the sea of reeds, a shallow swampy marsh that dried up when there was low annual rainfall... that explains how mosses and the isrealites were able to cross it... but you forgot about the second part of the story, where the river un-parts and drowns the pursuing egyptian army. how do you explain that? you can't. according to that thoery then the egyptians would have been able to cross the river as well and kill everyone.

I'm not saying that the bible is right. in fact, the opposite. I'm saying that you shouldn't try to use science to explain bullshit, because there is no logical explanation behind pure fantasy.
    I strongly dislike the bible, but it does have good sources of inspiration for stories.*

Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_tendencies
    not only have i seen it multiple times, i own a copy. while i agree with the fact that the movie should not be shown to kids under the age of 17. i like the movie. it does show the way it happened adn thats the way it was meant to be shown. if you dont understand the bible, you will never know why the movie is like that.
    that's subject to debate. the entire two hour movie is based on less than one paragraph in the bible. as far as the historical acuracy of that, we've proven there isn't much, and the details as well are all just speculation. It's a matter of your faith that makes this movie so appealing and it's obvious that people have appreciated it because they feel such a strong connection with jesus. but on the hand every other aspect of the movie wasn't exactly devoted to so responsibley, and you can understand why that has turned off so many people from the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    You underestimate children and their ability to understand the world around them. You'd be surprised to find out that kids do understand "adult" concepts when given the chance...do they know how to apply them? Well that is where a parent, mentor, and adult steps in. Violence unto our fellow man is not something kids are magicly immune to...we were all kids and we all remember our first contact with the unpleasent parts of life. To say a film about a brutal act will fuck a kid up only underestimates children and the ability to teach them...plus it's hypocritical given the world of adults.

You want to be appauled and disgusted? Look at how children are treated by adults in general both in schools and at home...that does more damage and influences them much more than any film ever could.
    Good point! I was very mature for my age as a kid. Mostly because of abuse in the home. I learned how the world works really quickly.

I do on the other hand, understand where she comes from. It's hypocritical of most Christians to take there kids to see such things, yet bash the next thriller film that comes out.

I think it was just disgusting making a film that they know will sell because its about Christ. Add a contraversial twist to it and it's guaranteed a top seller.

I don't know why some of those people didn't open their eyes and think, "Hmm, I could take my whole church here and pay $7.00 a person to see this film not including snacks and popcorn. Then, suddenly my church and I become better Christians because we paid to see this movie and participated in contributing a couple of thousand dollars to aid in making more movies that we don't like. OR I could pay $3.00 PERIOD to rent it and watch it in my church.

I was SHOCKED when I went to the theater around the 3rd week of it opening to see churchvans, buses, minivans packed full of people in their Sunday best, all coming out to see this movie. Line up the block and around the corner it was just sickening. Finally, when they sold out, there was a big devastation as to who was going to go in and who was going to suffer until next time. It was like watching families be separated in Shindler's List. I can only imagine it getting worse as you go further south.

Then, not only that but causing the Passion of the Christ Cult. I don't know if any of you have seen these people, but I have and it's scary.

"I haven't seen the movie, and I probably won't. I have had a couple of family member see it and they were horrified at the gore. I've also heard a lot of controversy. Just thought I'd add that."

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

i know a guy who is a youth pastor at a church, and they showed the movie, they had the younger children get written consent to see the movie because of the graphic nature of it, every parent gave permission even for the kids who were like 4 and 5. i could barely sit through it and i have a high gore tolerance, i really couldnt believe that parents would allow there children to watch it, considering these are the same ppl who are trying to get any movie with any type of violence in it basically banned from public viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire

Y'ever notice when you're driving that everyone going faster then you is a maniac and everyone going slower than you is a moron?--A quote, I think it's George Carlin... It applies here, but it's tricky. You'll have to work it out for yourself.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

You must also remember that the cruxifiction was probably just as brutal as the film shows it; such real life events draw the crowds, and I mean of all ages. One merely needs to take a glance at the French Revolution or the execution of reistance fighters in the Forties or, this century, the *fun* had by certain soldiers in Iraq.

not really. i've seen a crucifixition. it's actaully pretty tame, the process doesn't damage any major arteries or blood vessels, that's the whole point, you don't want that, you want a slow death from exposure, that's what kills you, usually stravation, or repiratory failure, not the crucifixtion. and to be in pain the whole time. that's why it is so effective as torture. but as far as gore and blood there isn't much, it's only minor tissue damage and you can get by without even going into shock.

in the film since jesus lost about 4 pints of blood, he probibly would have died long before the crucifixition, or at any rate been in no shape to carry a heavy ass 100 pound wooden cross five miles up the hill. that's why I am also to believe that in reality it wouldn't have been as severe as portrayed, because it just wouldn't have worked. again, you don't want to kill the guy before you can string him up to set an example.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    not really. i've seen a crucifixition. it's actaully pretty tame,
    Well there's something that needs explanation...

Though "modern" versions of ancient acts tend to be tame for a variety of reasons...so I can't really buy into using modern variations for definative proof...

I see it like lynching...some are more brutal than others depending on the person being lynched...you can see that in how white criminals were lynched as opposed to black men...the act CAN be simple and tame...but the crowd, events, and case can make it far more excessive and brutal that it should be.

+ Reply to Thread