+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I the only fucking person who likes to sound halfway intellegent on the Internet?

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

Default Am I the only fucking person who likes to sound halfway intellegent on the Internet?

I have given up all hope in this current generation. If I have one more fucktard message me in a chat room and go "u no u can sp33k how3v3r u wnt its not high skool lolololololololol!!!1!1" I will very violently hurt someone. Unlike most asswipes with a computer and at least half a brain, I like having everything I type instantly legible and coherent to every sawed-off pisscloth who thinks he can read because he graduated from an American Education Cast System.

This is a rant, please excuse me. I don't normally do this.

Default Re: Am I the only fucking person who likes to sound halfway intellegent on the Internet?

Dont be sorry. I entirely concur.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Am I the only fucking person who likes to sound halfway intellegent on the Internet?

no, but there's a difference between sounding, and being. I sometimes use abbreviations when talking to people online because people are often in a rush and I want to get in a freindly greeting in the few seconds of free time they have, and not distract them from doing work. But I do feel that it is used rather excessively in most instances. a message board really isn't the place for it, because you are given a much more informal ( in some aspects) area of conversation, in which you have time to adequetly voice what it is that you want to say, and can consentrate more on getting your point across than just chit-chat. I do however, feel that it's not really peoples place to judge someones intelligence by thier typing. I really disgust those internet nazis that will critisize your writing because you didn't take the time to spell every single word right, even if your words and meanings are clear except for a few minor misplaced letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    no, but there's a difference between sounding, and being. I sometimes use abbreviations when talking to people online because people are often in a rush and I want to get in a freindly greeting in the few seconds of free time they have, and not distract them from doing work. But I do feel that it is used rather excessively in most instances. a message board really isn't the place for it, because you are given a much more informal ( in some aspects) area of conversation, in which you have time to adequetly voice what it is that you want to say, and can consentrate more on getting your point across than just chit-chat. I do however, feel that it's not really peoples place to judge someones intelligence by thier typing. I really disgust those internet nazis that will critisize your writing because you didn't take the time to spell every single word right, even if your words and meanings are clear except for a few minor misplaced letters.

I also agree with that. :P

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i actually hardly ever use abbreviations stupid people who dont know how to type use abbreviations but i can type real fast so i dont bother when i was a kid i beat the living shit out of meavis meacon (that stupid typing game)

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Well, I must first say that I agree with you Pandafist.....HOWEVER, I must also defend the computer nerd culture. I hate trying to read all of the abbreviations, but it is incorrect to label people who use them as stupid. My friend is a computer engineer, smartest guy I know, uses abbreviations etc because it is simply part of his "culture". The "stupid" people are the ones that rush into conversations swearing, trying to sound like gangsters (or whatever), mis-using computer slang and abbreviations...etc. I think if you pay close attention, it is easy to tell the difference between the computer nerd (I.E. the computer engineer type) and the stupid loser!

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

I know my spelling is crap but I also hate computer slang and text message slang as it sometimes takes me ages to decifer it and the phrase lol I despise
    dont know if you have them but when mobile phones became a big craze about 4 years ago and text messaging was popularised they actually sold mini dictionaries on the slang most commonly used

The problems you run into using the "H4xor" script is that there are people in the rooms from other countries and they might not understand what the hell you are trying to say...I am in agreement with Pandafist...Use english you dumb shits......Its not that hard...And it doesnt make you look like a dumbass...

I shall remain Neutral in the matter.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

yo g! RoXXr my soxrs all the way fo shur!
    NooBs need to speeek right g

Doesn't really bother that much I just don't pay attention to what they say.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

It annoys the hell out of me. True, some might do it to save time, during a real-time conversation, but that's hardly a reason to do it in places like, say, a message board.
    I also find no point in changing the letters "e", "t" or "s" for the numbers "3", "7" and "5", respectively. And I so despise the words (and I use the term with too much freedom) "l33t", "n00b", "phr33k" and their variations, amonga many others of the sort, as well as the people (and I use this term with even more freedom!) who use them. L337 phr33k my a55!

... or 50me7h1n6.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I read many, many, many posts all over the place everyday. Whenever I come across any of this Kool big letter little letter stuff, or insertion of numbers for letters, or silly abbreviations (often with an explanation behind it and the obligatory *I just make this one up cus im KoOl*) I skip on. It may be the most interesting post of the day; it may be the one that changes my life, but I am not going to bother straining my eyes to read something like that. And if someone complains that no one listens to them or reads their works, well, tough.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: Am I the only fucking person who likes to sound halfway intellegent on the Intern

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Well spoken, I HIGHLY agree with that.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i dont care how i type when im talking online informally. its kind of like when you are in a professional setting you speak professionally and type professionally, but when you are relaxing with your friends you can speak however you want, same goes for typing.

If I were to type professionally on a message board I think I would shoot myself. I am taking a break from writing a literary analysis paper for christ sake!

i type like a wild man at 120 wpm fuck mistakes use context clues im just talking to people here not writeing a novel

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

People are of course entitled to communicate in any fashion they see fit. Having said that, in the same way that when someone uses caps the voice in your head interprets it as SHOUTING, so anybody who exclusively uses txtspch kind of sounds like Rain Man to me...

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

This is pretty much the extent (aside from e-mails) of my online social life. I don't chat, and the only one that ever texts me using 4 (for) and 2(to, too) instead of words is my mother, so I don't criticize her on it.

GasmaskGirl's Avatar Senior Member
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada (actually born in Saskatchewan Canada)

Default Re: Am I the only fucking person who likes to sound halfway intellegent on the Intern

hm, well, all i have to say is.. when I see someone typing like that, I automatically assume they must be about twelve years old.

I used to get mad at my younger sister, who was 13 at the time, because ShE WuD TyPE Me NTiRe EmAILZ RiTTEN LyKE DiS. She doesn't do that anymore. Thank fuck.

Weblogger

I find it takes me longer to work out what the abbreviations are for particular sentences than it does for me to type them out; so I type them out and hope that the texters understand the old language still.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by GasmaskGirl
    hm, well, all i have to say is.. when I see someone typing like that, I automatically assume they must be about twelve years old..
    We had that on the newsgroups for a while. You could always tell which kiddie had just got webtv.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Mekahoel The Pandafist
    I have given up all hope in this current generation. If I have one more fucktard message me in a chat room and go "u no u can sp33k how3v3r u wnt its not high skool lolololololololol!!!1!1" I will very violently hurt someone. Unlike most asswipes with a computer and at least half a brain, I like having everything I type instantly legible and coherent to every sawed-off pisscloth who thinks he can read because he graduated from an American Education Cast System.

This is a rant, please excuse me. I don't normally do this.
    Surely you can find some satisfaction the fact these g33k sp33k net nerds will never have sex. Let's face it.. when the basis behind ones armory of insult is 'OMFGx0Rz j00 n00b'?

+ Reply to Thread