+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wuthering Heights/Jane Eyre Fans?

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Wuthering Heights/Jane Eyre Fans?

Has anyone read these books, or seen these films? They are classic gothic romances.

I really like both the books, because they were written by women and they have a really timeless quality.

Also, the Wuthering Heights films are really great, I like the version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche just as much as the Laurence Olivier/Merle Oberon version.

My favorite Jane Eyre film was a sort of obscure TV film starring Timothy Dalton. I swear, that was his best role. Also the one with Ciarin Hinds is pretty good.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Wuthering Heights/Jane Eyre Fans?

liked jane eyre didnt like wurthering heights. I liked the Orson Welles version of Jane Eyre

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

'Wuthering Heights' is an amazing book. I can't think of anything quite like it. A romance that captures the demonic, destructive intensity of passion, it's a fierce antitode to those asinine Austen novels of the same era.

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

Loved both.

I loved them both too. My favorite quote from Wuthering Heights is from Heathcliff:

"Why did you betray your own heart? You loved me, but what right had you to leave me for the poor fancy you felt for Linton? Nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us. You of your own free will did it. I have not broken your heart, you have broken it. And it breaking it, you have broken mine"

Oh, and the other famous line from Cathy:

"My love for Heathcliff is like the eternal rocks beneath, a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Helen, I am Heathcliff"

Gets me all choked up every time...

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Never seen the films, love the books.

wuthering heights is one of my alltime favorite books.i've had it since i was in 6th grade.then my ex took it with him when i gave him a big black boot up his ass.

I know I love that book. I read it over and over. You can get it used pretty inexpensively.

these are books you talk about when you want to sound pretentious. no one actually enjoys them.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by laurasbeenbad
    these are books you talk about when you want to sound pretentious. no one actually enjoys them.
    I guess I must be incredibly pretentious, then. Not only did I read them during school, college and university but in my free time too. I have many, many different titles which I have enjoyed from my first reading days onwards and many of them are over one hundred years old.

Oh, but no one wants to sound pretentious, they may well widh to sound well read or highly educated, but not pretentious. More likely someone else would say a person is pretentious as a result of what they talk about, but that is totally different.

poison's Avatar Senior Member

"wuthering heights" was the book i had to studyd in AS literature last year, having had to read it three times and re-sit my test twice..i now HATE the book! but that's what exams do..ruin everything!

as for the film with ralph finnes and juliette binoche, i enjoyed that...ralph was gorgeous as heathcliff, however it was confusing that juliette played both catherine "cathy" earnshaw AND her daughter catherine linton! dying her hair blonde did not give her the capacity to play two characters with a huge age difference!

i must say though...me being able to talk in depth about Wuthering heights does make me feel pretentious!
    oh! and you know the chapter in which heathcliff opens catherine earnshaw's grave...i read it in such a way that necrophilia took place..do you agreeor disagree with this?!

Macabre_Dreams's Avatar Morbid Freak

Quote Originally Posted by laurasbeenbad
    Untrue. That's like saying you like a band and then not knowing anything about them. Here, there's no need to sound pretentious.

-MD

Quote Originally Posted by poison
    "wuthering heights" was the book i had to studyd in AS literature last year, having had to read it three times and re-sit my test twice..i now HATE the book! but that's what exams do..ruin everything!

as for the film with ralph finnes and juliette binoche, i enjoyed that...ralph was gorgeous as heathcliff, however it was confusing that juliette played both catherine "cathy" earnshaw AND her daughter catherine linton! dying her hair blonde did not give her the capacity to play two characters with a huge age difference!

i must say though...me being able to talk in depth about Wuthering heights does make me feel pretentious!
    oh! and you know the chapter in which heathcliff opens catherine earnshaw's grave...i read it in such a way that necrophilia took place..do you agreeor disagree with this?!
    Isn't Ralph Fiennes just SO GORGEOUS in that movie!!! Oh my god!!! Those eyes, that voice, that face!! Ah!!!!!

I know what you mean about Juliette Binoche playing both parts, that was a bit off putting at first. Juliette has some incredible moments though, the speach that end with "I am Heathcliff", is really good. But other times she is a bit annoying in it.

Wow, the necrophelia issue, maybe... I wouldn't put it past that Ralph seems a bit twisted.... (Heh! Heh!)

I loved the Jane Eyre film. I started reading the book, but had to return it to the library before I finished it. I should check it out again.

mamathirteen's Avatar Junior Member

for buddhas sake.. talking about books is pretentious now?
    there was a time before the internet was everyones source of amusement.
    i remembering reading about wuthering heights.. the wind swept moors.. the book really was captivating.
    as for movie adaptations i have yet to see any for wh.. 1984 the book was forever ruined for me by the film

I know what you mean about movies ruining the books. Actually the movies are a bit different from the books, but there are some good moments. I guess that's the best that you can hope for in a film.

+ Reply to Thread