+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you think it makes sense for creative people to go to school?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you think it makes sense for creative people to go to school?

Does it make sense to go to school for creative work such as writing, photography, film, makeup, acting, painting, design, illustration, etc.?

Default Re: Do you think it makes sense for creative people to go to school?

ide haft to say that school helped me alot with drawing singing ect. so yes. I was always a good artist but school helped me think outside of the box improved my drawing skill and taught me how to read/write sheet music.

Well, I love art, but from all the years at college and school, No teacher has ever taught Me anything. In fact, they even stifled Me, and I have a lot of writer's block, or the expression, since they kept telling Me not to draw stuff that I like.

Each case is different for each person though.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

I've always thout that in art, there's two kinds of people who make it: those who have talent and those who don't, but are willing to go through any length to make it anyway. Art school is for the latter, even if having a paper that says "this person went to art school" might be useful for either.

... I guess.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I went to school it only helped me get my foot in the door and give me some ideas, most of it cam form just drawing and painting and practicing. also told me things I already knew like colour and stuff....but it helped me get my foot in the door...but I know alot of good artist that never did go to school.....

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Does it make sense to go to school for creative work such as writing, photography, film, makeup, acting, painting, design, illustration, etc.?
    I think it only helps where technical skills are involved. I went back to school for specific skills such as language and an obscure field (russian and eastern european studies) I do not believe college is necessary for any creative pursuits. It can help in some instances, but I do not believe artistic output can truly be taught.

OEC

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

it helps to learn technical skills used to enhance creativity and is a good way to meet various connections and whatnot but it can only take you so far and isnt really necesary

Hula Hoop Supervisor

You need to learn some technical skill...but you can do that on your own if you have enough desire too. It's a harder road but even schooled artists find it just as hard to find work and an original voice....creativity cannot be taught.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I don't think school or college necessarily helps with the personal creativity, but is good to expand the personal knowledge base so that a creative person sees more possibilkities for their talents. And there are the connections, of course.

I wonder if what somebody said is true, that Schools even though they help with connections , stifle creativity, by channeling the imagination in a certain manner, to fit a certain form, while those who dont, create anything that they desire.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

I'm currently on a game design school, mostly for the contacts. Can't say that I learned very much new, considering the creative process. But on the other hand, I learned something about the business part of selling your creativity, which I probably wouldn't have learned on my own.

Dark Z's Avatar Anime or Guns? Hmmm......

and it depends if you want to manage yourself. Managerial skills can be self taught, but for most people, a college education can strongly improve a person's ability to make business decisions. (that and a wide general education can allow you a wider breadth than not going to school)

Then there's specific field-only schools. Those tend not to increase your breadth, but at the same time they do improve your In-genre networking. and your technical skills.

But can a person learn everything outside of school that they learn in school? yes. It depends on how well a person self learns for that decision to be made well.

+ Reply to Thread