+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "The Natashas"

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default "The Natashas"

Author: Global sex trade "biggest human rights crisis facing women today'

By Jessica Sidman
    September 21, 2004

Each year, 800,000 to 900,000 girls and women are bought and sold worldwide in the global sex market. They are ordered through Internet sites, given as birthday gifts to soldiers and stripped of their dignity and identity.

Victor Malarek, author of the new book The Natashas: The New Global Sex Trade, spoke at the Penn Bookstore yesterday about the trafficking of women -- the black market's third most profitable commodity -- and the blind eye that governments and world organizations have turned to the flesh trade.

"It's a brutal book about a brutal trade," Malarek said. "The Natashas is a call to action."

The event, which drew a crowd of around 30 people, was hosted by the Ukrainian Society at Penn in conjunction with the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures and the Women's Studies Program.

"I've lived in the Ukraine and Eastern Europe, and I've seen prostitutes," said Wharton junior Mark Kindrachuk, who is also one of the founders of the Ukrainian Society. "And walking down the street you don't even think about it, because you see even more people who are so impoverished. ... I knew [prostitution] existed, but I didn't know to what capacity."

Most people dismiss these women as "whores" who have chosen their own lifestyle, Malarek said. In reality, they are duped into lives of sexual slavery with false promises of real jobs and are beaten into submission and often killed if they protest, he added.

"Prostitution is not the world's oldest profession," Malarek said. "It's the world's oldest oppression."

Malarek further condemned the lack of intervention by local, national and international authorities. Immigration officials, police officers and so-called peacekeepers are often the aggressors, leaving the women with the impression that there is no one to turn to for help.

"He seems very knowledgeable and very passionate about the issue," West Philadelphia resident Laurie Burras said of Malarek. "I want to know why nobody is doing anything."

Other students, professors and community members in attendance said they were also chilled by Malarek's account of "the biggest human rights crisis facing women today."

"It was a powerful speech," Kindrachuk said. "I hope he sells a lot of books."

Malarek hopes that his book will raise awareness and foster discussion that will lead to change. "I just think we've got to do something," Malarek said. "We can't allow these girls and women to be continually ***** and demoralized."

Default Re: "The Natashas"

Ugh. Posted twice trying to insert amazon html tag.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Can't say this is new news to me but it's good to see it getting some exposure. I'm not of the hopeful thinking anyone can stop it though. The trade is far to well connected, funded, and organized for it to be broken. It's international dealins make it a near impossibility to effectively combat...plus you have high powered members of foreign governments involved that can allow their borders to function as they wish...on the lower end of the spectrum these situations occure far to regular. L.A. county alone has had recent cases involving brothels made up of women bought and sold from south of the border.

A sad reality that I don't see ending any time soon. The view of women in many cultures simply allows for their easy exploitation to be blunt. Look at the massive influx of asian women on the sex slavery trade...from preteen to adults...it's sad as all hell but their is no shortage of women to replace the small percentage rescued or taken out of such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Can't say this is new news to me but it's good to see it getting some exposure. I'm not of the hopeful thinking anyone can stop it though. The trade is far to well connected, funded, and organized for it to be broken. It's international dealins make it a near impossibility to effectively combat...plus you have high powered members of foreign governments involved that can allow their borders to function as they wish...on the lower end of the spectrum these situations occure far to regular. L.A. county alone has had recent cases involving brothels made up of women bought and sold from south of the border.

A sad reality that I don't see ending any time soon. The view of women in many cultures simply allows for their easy exploitation to be blunt. Look at the massive influx of asian women on the sex slavery trade...from preteen to adults...it's sad as all hell but their is no shortage of women to replace the small percentage rescued or taken out of such situations.
    It may be culture in part, but I think a lot of it has to do with poverty in the post SSR countries. I think the US has actually contributed to it by our actions in the Balkans.
    Major points of trade have been Kosovo and Bosnia, often times by Albanian Heroin smugglers. Personally, I think more can be done. I would agree that it will not be ending any time soon

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

In terms ot the Balakans it's not just the U.S. who has their hand their though. Can't really lay this problem on the U.S. doorstep...the place and people have a lot of blame to carry as well. Poverty aside some things should not and cannot be tolorated. Stuff like that will only end or deminish when the PEOPLE themselves rise to condem it. Wealthy nations have the same problem so it's not just poverty that causes this...it is very much a case of the strong exploiting the weak though.

I think a lot of factors, primarily having to do with the collapse of the USSR and Yugoslavia, are to blame. Here's a link to the book.

Exiled

how much is it that these girls get paid? Like just for a suck? i guess it would be less than the full bit. I just want to know because of the curiousity.

HI TO ALL THE HOT LADIES ON THE BOARD!

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

God I HATE girls named "Natasha"!! They are always really mean and controlling and manipulative. And they try to make everyone into a slave!!! Just the word "Natasha" makes me cringe.

Zombie_Fatale's Avatar Senior Member

well, it's normal regualr very typical Russian name.. got used to it ssince my childhood.. my grandma, several friends, my aunt bear this name. and they are nice people...

I'm neutral to it.. do not like, but do not hate too

about sex trade
    yup, it's quite bifg problem with our girls leaving their town in search for better fortune. many end-up as sex-slaves - some are willingly...

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    God I HATE girls named "Natasha"!! They are always really mean and controlling and manipulative. And they try to make everyone into a slave!!! Just the word "Natasha" makes me cringe.
    "Natashas" is code for the girls being forced into slavery.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_Fatale
    about sex trade
    yup, it's quite bifg problem with our girls leaving their town in search for better fortune. many end-up as sex-slaves - some are willingly...
    Are you from Russia?

OEC

this is topic on which i have to say a lot... but not now... too stoned and tired from work...
    I had to see it with my eyes... such was life there

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    God I HATE girls named "Natasha"!! They are always really mean and controlling and manipulative.

alternatively, there was a "Tash" at an engineering course i did recently. she was rather outspoken seventeen-year-old proto-punk. she wasn't in my group, but that didn't stop her wandering in and drawing diagrams of how to do anal sex on the whiteboard.

which surprised the instructor, who was trying to teach us about drill bits at the time.

misstayva's Avatar Professional Nose-Picker

Lifetime just did a movie on this.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Are you from Russia?

OEC
    Ukraine..

+ Reply to Thread