+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For those of you who play 40K

Default For those of you who play 40K

I noticed that more people around here play 40K, and this could be the thread for it, sort of , maybe, perhaps. :P

Anyways, While we are at it, Maybe somebody could help Me pick a Chapter. I have literally painted , stripped, and re-painted the same Marines over 50 times at least, in trying to decide!

Feel free to chat about other GW stuff here in this thread like Mordheim, WHFB, Necromunda, etc.

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

Default Re: For those of you who play 40K

getting into 40k now but i dont have the cash so my friends are letting me use their models so i love my friends and plus it givs me a reason to get out of the house more often that and give me paint and i am a happy boy !!!!

What army are you going with?

I am with Imperial Marines, but am not sure which chapter to go with.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Just make up you're own chapter...it's more original, interesting, and creative that way. The only time you should use the high profile ones are when you either A. Want to prove you can paint the best rendition of that chapter. B. Enjoythe play mechanics of that chapter. C. Are a fan of that chapter.

The best stuff in all truth comes from those who embrace the fact this is a geeks hobby...they pull off sculpting and painting jobs that are real masterworks of craft and form. That's how I approach my stuff and it keeps it from looking like anyone elses along with being pretty diverse. Lately I've been messing around the the army painter in Dawn of War since it allows you to custom paint your digital armies...comes in handy when looking for that right combination and for experiments.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i just got into the 40k stuff because brightstar is always talkin about it so i decided to give it a try. i dont realy play the game but im collecting the figurines

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i just got into the 40k stuff because brightstar is always talkin about it so i decided to give it a try. i dont realy play the game but im collecting the figurines
    That's how it starts...the game was always secondary to me...but that's it's own addiction entirely. The reason it's so popular is how personal you can make the game...it may have more rules than an IRS tax guide but at least you can play around with them till they work for you without fear of jailtime.

I decided on My own chapter btw. The BeastHunters

Their Color Scheme is Pool/Poole Blue, with Antique White Weaponry, and Red Eyes.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I am the same TZ....but I was alwasy partial to the Drak Angels becasue of their special units abilites, The legion of the Damned's Sonsare supposed to be getting a codex there are quite a few...I hae such little time for any type of model building or figure paiting....and I miss it.

I used to like Dark Angels, until the end of the Novel: Angels Of Darkness. (Not spoiling the ending.)

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    I decided on My own chapter btw. The BeastHunters

Their Color Scheme is Pool/Poole Blue, with Antique White Weaponry, and Red Eyes.
    Scratch that. World Eaters it is.
    Or a World Eaters Variant.

PaulCat's Avatar 3 Of My Nine Lives Left

Oooo! i used to play that!
    I always liked the odd games rather than 40K, Necromunda was cool, and then Inquisitor!!!

Inq got me into roleplay gaming too, since i got into that i haven't really played any GW games, although i have ripped it off a fair bit for my RPG!

SFB! (Sci-Fi Bollox!)
    The damage system and weapons in Inq are hard to improve on, and running everything off percentages is a very quick and easy to understand system.

Paul Cat.

Deciding on a group is so difficult though.
    I like them all so much.
    You should see the land raider that used to have over 50 coats of paint on it. Lol.

'Magnarrr...,' the voice of the daemon was low and purring.

'My Lord,' Magnar bowed his head low and the eyes of the daemon quivered with consideration.

'Magnar, favourite of all my conspirators... have you come o tell me of the treachery of Meitrich Von Tolermann?' The words that Magnar had reheared so carefully clung to his palette. How could he know? Yet if he knew this what else did he know?

The daemon laughed and its laughter was a cawing mockery of innocence like the distant call of crows. Magnar felt as if his flesh were being sheared from his bones by that sound.

'Magnarrr...,' the voice purred as the daemon scrutinised its Champion, 'you must remember there is nothing I do not know, no-one I do not suspect! No-one, no-one.'

The daemon laughed its mocking laugh once more and Magnar turned his face from that unforgiving stare.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

Anyone remember the Tyranid Attack board game? That was cool.

I remember it, but never played that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane316
    Anyone remember the Tyranid Attack board game? That was cool.
    Im still trying to figure out which Chaos God fits Me most.

You play 40K still? If so, what army? Tyranids?

Rippers just seem so cuddly. *Sarcastic Undertone*

Azazel's Avatar Junior Member

Imperial fists all the way!! if it aint for the emperor its heresy!!
    nah i like my fists but im a hardcore necron player they flay like no other archeotech has nothing on the 60 million year old cogitators we have mwahahahah

Im still deciding on a God, but I used to be with Imperial Fists. They are amazing!
    Btw, Lysander became a captain now.

Azazel, the name of a WHFB Demon Prince of Slaanesh.

Azazel is in ancient hebrew custom the scapegoat,they cast the villages sins unto a goat and set it out to the desert. that is about the whole of it , i just feel that way sometimes so i adopted the name , didnt know it was a whfb demon though kinda fitting.

later

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    Azazel is in ancient hebrew custom the scapegoat,they cast the villages sins unto a goat and set it out to the desert. that is about the whole of it , i just feel that way sometimes so i adopted the name , didnt know it was a whfb demon though kinda fitting.

later
    Yep, Azazel is a Slaaneshi Demon Prince.

I am going to either make My Marines for Tzeentch or Nurgle, but here is info on Azazel. This guy is amazing!

Here is his story.

AZAZEL
    Prince of Damnation
    Azazel sees into the very hearts and souls of
    men, and even their deepest desires and
    hidden passions are plain to him. With his
    silvery voice Azazel whispers to his opponents,
    promising them all they have ever desired if
    they abandon the folly of opposing Slaanesh
    and embrace the Prince of Chaos instead.
    And there are very few that can resist his
    temptations. All who know of him dread to
    face him in battle, for the cost of losing to
    Azazel is not only the death of the body, but
    the damnation of the soul as well.
    At the Battle of the Moors a force of zealous
    Templars of Ulric had made vows before the
    Flame of Ulric in Middenheim that they
    would banish Azazel or perish trying. But
    before the battle ended the Templars had been
    reduced to gibbering imbeciles, slaves to the
    slightest whim of Azazel. He set collars
    around their necks and made them walk on
    all fours like dogs to amuse his patron
    Slaanesh. The Questing Knight, Guido de
    Brionne, sought out Azazel, intending to
    challenge him to single combat to fulfil his
    grail quest, but instead he kneeled before the
    Daemon Prince, begging him to accept his
    undying devotion. Laughing, Azazel severed
    the head of the Bretonnian Knight, who stood
    unmoving, convinced in the justification of
    the act. Woe to those who face Azazel, the right
    hand of Slaanesh.

thanks for the back ground cool stuff, if i played chaos it would be nurgle or my favorite of all the khorne devoted,all factions, like Kharn now he is my man! damn, killing his regiment because they were not totally in for the battle he hosed em all with a flamer and assaulted the city himself, and i also read a story with him having a body count kill meter in his helm, now how cool is that? plus the khorne berserkers are cool too. My fists are still in development, playable by all means but im not satisfied with my list yet.So my necrons stay my main force, and on a final note does anyone here like reading fluff too?

later
    Azazel

I love the Fluff. That is part of why I am trying to decide.

The Black Legion

The Black Legion (originally the Luna Wolves) were the 16th Legion of become Space Marines. Their armour was black with white trim before the Heresy and black with gold trim after. Their Primarch was the great Warmaster Horus, who was killed aboard his battle barge to conclude the Heresy. During the Heresy the Sons of Horus developed the unpleasent habit of subsisting only on the livers, kidneys and brains of their slain enemies. Their homeworld was Cthonia, which was later destroyed.

The Black Legion is the only one of the Traitor Legions to have changed its name in its ten thousand years of exile. The Legion was originally created in the first founding as the Luna Wolves. The Emperor subsequently bestowed a new name on the Legion in recognition of its accomplishments in the Ullanor Crusade, renaming it in honour of its Primarch - so the Legion became the Sons of Horus (circa 125M30).

It was as the Sons of Horus that the Legion fought in the Horus Heresy, serving as his praetorians throughout his campaigns. They were the first to remove the symbol of the Imperial eagle from their armour and banners and replace it with the eye of Horus symbol which became such a dread icon of Chaos to the Imperium. They fought with pride and unthinkable ferocity, knowing that they were the chosen amongst the Warmaster's new order. When Horus was defeated by the Emperor the Legion's morale was shattered; their patron, their father, was gone.

Factions in the other Traitor Legions later blamed the Sons of Horus for beginning the rout from Earth by retreating into warp space with the body of their beloved Warmaster, leaving the horde leaderless below. But the battle for Earth had been lost when Horus fell, and no power in the universe could have brought victory to the forces of Chaos. In the Eye of Terror the Sons of Horus fought ferocious battles with the other Legions for possession of key worlds and resources, fighting to re-establish themselves as the prime Legion.

The Sons of Horus worshipped one Chaos Power after another and each time more of their number gave themselves up to possession by daemons. Over centuries they were also bled white in a succession of bloody conflicts with different Legions. These internecine conflicts eventually culminated in the destruction of the Sons' final fortress by a combined force of Traitor Legions. To add to the ignominy the Warmaster's body was removed and cloned, much to the disgust of the remaining Sons. Denied their Warmaster, the Sons of Horus swore allegiance to Abaddon, captain of the 1st Company, as their new Warmaster.

Abaddon's first edicts rejected the name of Horus and their ancient Legion title. He ordered the remaining Chaos Space Marines to repaint their armour black in eternal memory of their shame and then led them in a lightning raid which destroyed the Warmaster's body and his clones. The Legion's remaining battle barge disappeared into the gigantic dust nebulae at the edge of the Eye of Terror to serve as a hidden base for Abaddon and his "Black Legion". The Black Legion has raided into the Imperium and the Eye of Terror ever since. Their battle barge has been seen in many parts of the galaxy. only to disappear as mysteriously as it arrived.

Abaddon has fought to rebuild the pride and reputation of the Black Legion, always leading his forces into the most dangerous conflicts personally. At first Abaddon won the grudging respect of the other Traitor Legions, but as his deeds have grown mightier he has succeeded in winning their support too. His impassioned words have rekindled the Traitor Legions' smouldering hatred of the Imperium and warriors of all the Legions have fought beneath his banner.

Abaddon has marshalled his strength with care and now commands the loyalty of captains from all of the other Traitor Legions. Those who oppose him are crushed, those who join him add their strength to the greatest army ever assembled in the Eye of Terror. Abaddon has tested the strength of the Imperium many times in the Long War, and with each victory his power grows. One day the Imperium will show a weakness, a chink in its armour. On that day Abaddon will lead his Black Legion and his hordes of the lost and the damned back to the material universe once and for all.
    Taken from Codex: Chaos v2

The Black Legion is the only Traitor Legion to have changed its name in its ten thousand years of exile. The legion was originally created in the first founding as the Luna Wolves, but it was as the Sons of Horus that the legion fought in the Horus Heresy, serving as praetorians throughout his campaigns. They were the first to remove the symbol of the Imperial eagle from their armour and banners and replace it with the Eye of Horus symbol which became such a dread icon of Chaos to the Imperium. When Horus was defeated, factions in the other Traitor Legions later blamed the Sons of Horus for beginning the rout from Earth by retreating into warp space with the body of their beloved Warmaster, leaving the horde leaderless below.

Although it is very difficult to be sure, it appears that once in the Eye of Terror the Sons of Horus fought ferocious battles with the other legions for possession of key worlds and resources, fighting to re-establish themselves as the prime legion. Although evidence is fragmentary at best, it seems that these internecine conflicts eventually culminated in the destruction of the Sons' final fortress by a combined force of Traitor Legions. To add to the ignominity the Warmaster's body was removed and cloned, much to the disgust of the remaining Sons. Denied their Warmaster, the Sons of Horus swore allegiance to Abaddon, captian of the first company, as their new Warmaster.
    Taken from Codex: Chaos Space Marines v3

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I like 40K and all but dude is their really a need to bring up dead threads like this one? I commend you for trying to promote the game and yeah given the general interest here you'd think it'd be a perfect fit...but it's not. The beauty of the game IS the fluff and mythology but you're not gonna get anyone to try the game by posting stuff from a codex (plus GW frowns on that as numerous sites and forums will attest to).

Really your best bet is to take some time and explain what the game is...and why it's so interesting from YOUR point of view...not some PR stuff or GW material.

I say this not to be mean but as a very hard person to convert to the game. Many tried similar tactics and to be honest I saw it as lame and juvinile for YEARS...even when I was shown the codexs and game mechanics. It was not till I got personal views on what the game was about that my opinion changed.

You could post the entire history of the space marines dude...it's not gonna work...trust me. Gotta make people see it through your eyes...cause from the outside I can honestly say it does not look all that interesting and feels cliche'.

was just trying to share the stories, wasnt trying to convert people to join.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    was just trying to share the stories, wasnt trying to convert people to join.
    May not have been the intention but you gotta admit the stories are not as engaging without at least some knowledge of the game it's based on...ever wonder why you won't find may of the books they seel in places outside of GW stores and hobby shops?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire

Really your best bet is to take some time and explain what the game is...and why it's so interesting from YOUR point of view...not some PR stuff or GW material.

Well, for Me , it is from Aesthetics, Story, etc. Each group has their own languages, civilizations and cultures. Even in the space marines, there are different chapters with backgrounds reminiscent of each part of Earth's history.

The White Scars are Mongolians, and the Space Wolves are Vikings, for example. The Dark Angels used to be Native American, but their them moved into Dark Monk type stuff.

It was not till I got personal views on what the game was about that my opinion changed.

How so, what personal views were those?

Gotta make people see it through your eyes
    I am not sure how to explain stuff from My point of view, but am better at stating My view , then explaining why I have that view on the subject.

Also, another reason I find it interesting is that I can identify with many of the different groups in their views on stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    May not have been the intention but you gotta admit the stories are not as engaging without at least some knowledge of the game it's based on...ever wonder why you won't find may of the books they seel in places outside of GW stores and hobby shops?
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Borders has tons of them, but they dont have the better books from the series, so much as the leftover garbage books.

+ Reply to Thread