+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting Quotes to discuss.

Default Interesting Quotes to discuss.

"Death is Inevitable, but so too is Rebirth."- Unknown.

"Death is Inevitable, but only to those who accept it as such."- Unknown

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: Interesting Quotes to discuss.

Don't concentrate on the finger or you miss all of that heavenly glory - Bruce Lee

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. " Malcolm X

"America is the land of wide lawns and narrow minds." Ernest Hemingway

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I thought this was about the discussion of qoutes, as opposed to the "list your favorite qoutes" thread. oh well, here goes.

Death is Inevitable, but so too is Rebirth."- Unknown.
    In the broad sense, i'd say for the most part this is true. in the individualistic sense, i'd disagree. Although if you are speaking metaphorically, and this is meant to imply perhaps a change in human characteristics and spirirt throughout the course of living, i'd agree. but an other-worldly speculation beyond death is the result of a feeble mind that cannot comprehend let alone manage the task of making the most out of existence as it is, so they create a futile explanation to denounce life and the present as only being a secondary clause to thier fictional alter-reality, which they view as the absolute reality.

guess this one's true. if you don't beleive in death, no one can convince you otherwise, and after you are dead, you won't be able to argue it.

Don't concentrate on the finger or you miss all of that heavenly glory - Bruce Lee
    no doubt this would be impossible. he was one fast motherfucker.

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. " Malcolm X
    wrong. malcolm x was an idiot, he simply used a vieled attempt at proclaiming to want freedom as a justification for using violence, and subsequently as a means to tell other people what to do, and what to think, even if it was that they should want freedom, which is the opposite of real freedom. if you belive in freedom then you have to accept someone elses right to be free even if it is contest with your own sense of freedom, and to be violent and hate you if that's what they wish. that's real freedom, otherwise it's just swapping one form of control for another.

"America is the land of wide lawns and narrow minds." Ernest Hemingway
    I can't disagree.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    "Death is Inevitable, but so too is Rebirth."- Unknown.

As previously mentioned, agreed, but only in the grand scheme of things. Individuals die, but are not reborn, however species both die and are reborn (the circle of life baby). Unless you are talking about a seriously endangered species. For the last Dodo, death was inevitable, but not rebirth, because now they are extinct and none were ever reborn again!

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Well, this is fairly challenging to discuss. Death is going to happen, no matter what you do to delay it, it will happen. People can avoid the subject of death and pretend that it will never happen to them, but that does not change the fact that death will occur. BUT this quote can be viewed as addressing those in immediate danger of death.

For example, an elderly person who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and given a month to live. To this person, attitude is everything.

If they accept death as inevitable, well, that might not be too bad, because they are being honest with themselves. If they accept death as inevitable, and use that inevitability to end their life prematurely (by this I mean quitting any enjoyable activites and sitting around waiting for death) then acceptance can lead straight to death.

If the person denies that death is inevitable, and goes on living as if nothing is wrong, they are likely to beat death a little bit longer than the above mentioned person.
    Last edited by Forestghost; 11-14-2004 at 03:21 PM. Reason: messed up the quote

I think the quotes I listed were talking about souls more than about bodies. The first was , anyway. *

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

I don't believe in the existance of a soul. I'm an evolutionist....

After suffering so much, at least there is the recompense of dying like dogs.
    ~~Cesare Pavese

I love this quote.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Oksana Zabuzhko

"Take help when and where it is offered."- Various People.

Response :" Help offered when help is not needed, is usually no help at all."- Kain VonCoorhagen

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I thought this was about the discussion of qoutes, as opposed to the "list your favorite qoutes" thread. oh well, here goes.

wrong. malcolm x was an idiot, he simply used a vieled attempt at proclaiming to want freedom as a justification for using violence, and subsequently as a means to tell other people what to do, and what to think, even if it was that they should want freedom, which is the opposite of real freedom. if you belive in freedom then you have to accept someone elses right to be free even if it is contest with your own sense of freedom, and to be violent and hate you if that's what they wish. that's real freedom, otherwise it's just swapping one form of control for another.

Now for the discussion. I have a question for you. Would you call any radicalist stupid? Does that apply to Che Guevara? Do you take offense that as a means to his ends Malcolm X employed and encouraged violence (however if you read up on it, he advocated armed self defense rather than attack.) Or do you take issue with the idea that a man cannot be at peace without freedom? Also towards the end of his life his views changed quite a bit. After his visit to Mecca he changed his hateful views. At that point what his vision was one of brotherhood rather than of seperatism. Which in case anyone is wondering why that is one of my favorite quotes. Malcolm X spent a lot of years being a hateful human being blinded by a single minded vision. He made a big change and was killed before that change could overtake the legacy of his past hatred.

Before you call someone an idiot I highly suggest you read past the myth and hype of who they are/were and look at what they were actually doing and the changes they make/made as a human being. You might learn something.

A very good short biography.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i've pondered this in many states of mind with many different people (manly my sister when we lived in the same state):

"when you see the buddha,kill him"-Confusious

i love how his sayings can seem to have no meaning or thousands ,i think we figred this out once wilst in the deep depths of a high ,but i was a few years ago....

"Also towards the end of his life his views changed quite a bit. After his visit to Mecca he changed his hateful views."
    When I was in high school, I had an assignment to write a report on any American leader, and I chose Malcolm X. I was the only one who wasn't allowed to finish their report. I don't know if it was because people stop listening who are turned off by the "violent" aspects of his early adulthood, or if my teacher was simply a racist redneck moron, but I find it strange that everyone but me was allowed to finish giving their report......

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by macabrette
    "Also towards the end of his life his views changed quite a bit. After his visit to Mecca he changed his hateful views."
    When I was in high school, I had an assignment to write a report on any American leader, and I chose Malcolm X. I was the only one who wasn't allowed to finish their report. I don't know if it was because people stop listening who are turned off by the "violent" aspects of his early adulthood, or if my teacher was simply a racist redneck moron, but I find it strange that everyone but me was allowed to finish giving their report......
    Malcolm was a heroic man and one of the greatest orators of the 20th Century. Those who defile him generally have not read his later works in which he became a universalist as opposed to simply a black nationalist. I'd say your teacher was listening to too many right wing crackpots and unwilling to hear your perspective.

OEC

I would not call every radical stupid, no. I am just in favor of honesty. If he admitted his violence was justified toward a better end, then I would have respect for him, at least in standing by his principals. to exclaim that he wanted peace, and then used violence as a means, that is just contradictory. but my review of the qoute wasn't so much directed at x's personal charcter, just the flaw that I found of his logic in the supposition that peace and freedom are one in the same. as I exclaimed true freedom must allow for unpeacefulness, and I think that if we were given freedom it would create a vast conflict at first, but over time it would lead to peace because the peaceful would band together, and the violent would eradicate each other. but since I don't see us becoming a liberatarian society anytime in the near future, we'll have to wait a long time to see how the realisation of that ideal plays out.

I think that the kill buddha qoute by confuscious was saying that we should abandon supernatural thinking for logical reasoning. that is also my problem with buddhism, which I think works well in most every other aspect. however, if we are to suppose that in place of what could be assumed to be supernatural, and instead apply it as superhuman, that is a course of thought which in itself is logical reasoning, but only of a higher logic employed by a learned man, then his spirituality becomes simply a measure of his own human spirit, instead of the ignorant mob's mentality as a whole rather than as individual part.
    I also think if we are to revere buddha we should reject him as a spiritual or even an authorty figure and view his enlightenment as a step on a path to be eclisped by our own personal learning experience of self.

+ Reply to Thread