+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Website Development

Default Website Development

I have a question as to how to make a website. I'm in the process of purchasing some HTML books as well as some Java. Does anyone have any tips for me because I'm not too sure about what I'm doing.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Website Development

Some of the Learn HTML in 21 Days or Less books by Laura Lemay from SAMS are a good start. I'd learn the style sheet stuff before you got too deep into java, just as far as priorities go. You certainly probably could get some help, but it's more fun to learn it yourself.

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Unless you've got cash to spare I would personally advise against buying any books on the subject; there's certainly more than enough informative stuff on the internet for free. This site has a pretty good tutorial on most common uses of HTML, and the parent site has a lot of other useful information as well.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    I have a question as to how to make a website. I'm in the process of purchasing some HTML books as well as some Java. Does anyone have any tips for me because I'm not too sure about what I'm doing.
    Did you get your bridal pics yet?? I got my film, the pics look great!!

Are you going to design a website of your own pictures? You should.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Did you get your bridal pics yet?? I got my film, the pics look great!!

Are you going to design a website of your own pictures? You should.

I'm trying to make my own modeling site. I used to have one but the guy who ran it didn't run it right and it never got updated. I haven't had a site in almost a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Some of the Learn HTML in 21 Days or Less books by Laura Lemay from SAMS are a good start. I'd learn the style sheet stuff before you got too deep into java, just as far as priorities go. You certainly probably could get some help, but it's more fun to learn it yourself.
    thanks Forrests you are very helpfull!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkingGlitch
    Unless you've got cash to spare I would personally advise against buying any books on the subject; there's certainly more than enough informative stuff on the internet for free. This site has a pretty good tutorial on most common uses of HTML, and the parent site has a lot of other useful information as well.

Thanks! This site is helping me a lot.

Thanks! This site is helping me a lot.
    Glad to be of service.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

something i found helpful when starting out was to look at the way other people did their pages. that was quite a while ago, though; since then people have integrated macromedia flash and java and frames and Xiombarg alone knows what else. the source HTML is often program-generated and looks like something the dog threw up after it got into the alphabet soup.

using the "view source" option in your browser can reveal some interesting things, though.
    Last edited by sheramil; 12-06-2004 at 06:06 PM. Reason: i'm anal-retentive. so sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    using the "view source" option in your browser can reveal some interesting things, though.
    That's how I taught myself HTML back in the day, way back when there was very little behind the scenes scripting to worry about so you could pretty much just peek at the source code of a page and know from that how it all worked. Now, of course, you've got PHP, CSS, Flash, and other similar stuff to contend with.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i used to know HTML i prefer Flash you should learn it Flash lets you do so much more than HTML or Java if you want good flash tutorials go to www.newgrounds.com most of the stuff there is geared to making games and cartoons but its basic enough to be slightly reworked to making kick ass websites

Flash sites are very difficult to keep up to date though. I mean popup books are fun and nice, but you wouldn't want to use them to tell a story of any substance. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a great site with flash, just a lot more rare. I think it's a good element to use to spice things up, but not a good foundation for a site.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Flash sites are very difficult to keep up to date though. I mean popup books are fun and nice, but you wouldn't want to use them to tell a story of any substance. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a great site with flash, just a lot more rare. I think it's a good element to use to spice things up, but not a good foundation for a site.
    Good point i still think flash can be taken a lot further that it is now in terms of being used in websites though

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Good point i still think flash can be taken a lot further that it is now in terms of being used in websites though
    It can be, though it's often a whole lot easier to use some Flash and some non-Flash in a site. As an example, Flash and SQL don't tend to get along too nicely in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I agree. I just think it's important to use it for the right stuff. If folks can do that, it's great.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

There are also some really good authoring tutorials here I don't think they are still updating but there is a ton of stuff there. I've been doing my own sites for about 3 years now and I agree that Flash is pretty but a pain in the ass to take care of and keep updating.

I also really like html help for lots of simple help. Once you've got the basics down there are a whole bunch of different resources you can use to integrate graphics design along with your code.

I have a ton more links at home and if you want any of them just ask.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Flash can be nice, but I've seen waaaaaaay too many sites where people just have no clue, just as some have no sense of colour schemes either. Flash can also be such a pain in the ass too, but I found SWiSH is a bit easier to use and produces some really nice effects. If nothing else download the trial software and give it a try... although I recommend checking out some tutorials first to make the most of your 15 days of free software.

Well, I want to learn flash. I think it could really fancy my site up, but I hear it is really difficult to learn.

i started with one of Laura Lemay's first books. i still hand-code HTML in Notepad... and i do web design for a living.

Well, I want to learn flash. I think it could really fancy my site up, but I hear it is really difficult to learn.
    It's not really that bad. It can be fairly confusing at first, but once you get the hang of the basics it's not too hard to keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by acelightning
    i still hand-code HTML in Notepad
    As it should be!

+ Reply to Thread