+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I know this is personal but i need advice

Default I know this is personal but i need advice

well I am tryin to stop cutting but I can everytime i think I have I wake up with a knew one I should also tell you I am scitsofrantic so sometime i dont know that i am doing it well what do you think??

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: I know this is personal but i need advice

Throw away anything sharp, knives, razor blades, throw them in the garbage.

yeah i have tried that but that dosent work anything can be used really

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Do you have any extra stressers in your life right now? Anything you can either address or cut out?

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

You said "cut out" ...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Ok, on a serious note, most things like cutting, are more of a symptom, than a "bad habit". Yes, there is something there about breaking the habit, and willpower. But generally cutting is a way of relieving stress or emotions. So my guess is that if you can deal with fixing the emotional problems and issues, it will be a lot easier to stop cutting. If you can get your life to be a lot happier, a lot more mellow, and more relaxing, you will probably find it easier to stop.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    yeah i have tried that but that dosent work anything can be used really
    Therapy? I mean, a lot of my friends go to therapists just because they are stressed out about love affairs. I think you have a really legitimate reason to see a shrink.

Or move to a different state. Change your situation somehow. Fast.

And throw out anything sharp. I mean, ANYTHING.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Therapy? I mean, a lot of my friends go to therapists just because they are stressed out about love affairs. I think you have a really legitimate reason to see a shrink.

Or move to a different state. Change your situation somehow. Fast.

And throw out anything sharp. I mean, ANYTHING.
    u need to find the real reason u r cutting, and a therapist maybe a really good way to find the cause of the problem.

i used to burn myself, and i stopped it by writting poetry, it was a different outlet for the problems, maybe try something like that.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    You said "cut out" ...

Ouch, so I did.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I kind of doubt that you are schizophrenic. if you were really diagnosed that by a real medical professional then you would already be undergoing treatments, and when your doctor noticed self-inflicted wounds all over your body, you would be hospitalized and submitted to psychological evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I kind of doubt that you are schizophrenic. if you were really diagnosed that by a real medical professional then you would already be undergoing treatments, and when your doctor noticed self-inflicted wounds all over your body, you would be hospitalized and submitted to psychological evaluation.
    That isn't necessarily true. It all depends on where you live and what doctor you are seeing. A lot of doctors now days, don't know what the hell they are doing and some of them really don't give a shit about you. They just want money.

My mother had surgery the 24th, she had gall stones. She was in and out in one day. She had to be rushed back to the ER two days later with a horrible infection caused by something the hospital failed to do and make sure was fine before she left. They are charging her a visit to the ER for something they failed to do. That seems very illogical to me.

My father is a schitzophrenic and he's never been diagnosed with it. He suffers from multiple personalites. My mother and everyone else in my family has seen it. He has different voices and different names and it's really scary. He's never been to a doctor about it because he doesn't believe he has a problem. His father had it and further up the line as well.

What I'm saying is therepy would be much better than just a doctor, because doctors tend to jump to conclusions . A therepist actually has to sit down with you and decide what is wrong with you. A doctor doesn't have the time to do that.

My advice for ceasing the mutalation is to not go to a doctor unless you are prepared to be put into a rehab center or possibly a mental institution. If you feel that is what you may need to quit, you should go to a doctor. I would start writing down how I feel or illustrating it instead of cutting. Writing is a great way to release your emotions/problems. It's kept me alive for years. If that isn't enough find someone close to share your problems with, sometimes talking can help. Get out of your house, take a walk. If all this fails and you're still cutting. You should probably go to a therepist and make certain you make it known that you are aware you have a problem and you don't want to be institutionalized (unless you want to), but want to go other routes. They will most likely help someone who is aware and willing to take advice, than someone who thinks they don't have a problem.

Sorry, that didn't come out quite right. I might have sound totally contradicting to myself. I just know a lot of people who have had bad experiences with doctors especially when it comes to physcological treatments. Shop around for therepists that have your best interests in mind before you jump to the first one that comes along.

cutting isnt easy to stop it like an adiction evne if you arnt sad you do it.. its just like drugs or alcohol what happens is your body get adicted to the indorphins its like a pain killer that your body produces... Im not sayin that I do it because I like the way it feels it just the only way I feel alive sometimes
    but thats in your minde now your body is a different story thats what gets adicted thats why it is so hard to quit maybe if I had more happieness and was more perductive it wouldnt be so bad but I always feel trapt and alone...

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I have to agree with the others here. You must search inside yourself and find the cause not the symptom. I would think it is much like any other addiction/habit. Alot of people cut to mask or ease inner turmoil and pain. I honestly cannot relate for I have never done it or even contemplated it. I will keep my feelings about cutting to myself out of respect for all here. It is good you realize you have a problem and want to stop. Try looking at the good things in your life and not the bad...maybe the pain will subside or you can find another way to *vent* . We all hurt, it is part of living and being human, we just all deal with it in our own ways..Good luck! *hugs*

I used to cut... I used to burn myself too. Making up your mind that you want to stop is really good, it's the only way you'll ever stop. Sometimes, going to talk to someone, like a therapist or even a friend, helps too. If you feel like you want to cut yourself, call a friend, or e-mail them, something to distract you. Or get one of those hourglasses that come in games, that run for only 2 or 3 minutes. For those two or three minutes, just try to clear your mind. See how many times you can turn the hourglass over without hurting yourself, just focusing on something that makes you happy, or go to your happy place... the feelings might go away. Getting a blog or a diary helps too. Whatever happens to piss you off, you can just write it down.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

If you could fix this yourself, you already would have.

Seek professional help immediately.

Mother Superior

From what I have read in Psychology texts on cutting, you feel a sense of relief when you do this. We all medicate ourselves in some way for the psychological traumas we have experienced in our lives. Whether it's food, booze,drugs, sex, smoking, fucked relationships... we find a way to feel better if just for the moment.
    Try to go under the problems in your life not over them. What I mean by that is, tackle them one by one. Chances are if you don't relieve the stressors in your life, you may stop cutting but then you will find something else to do that is not productive, if you already don't.
    You are cutting from stress, anxiety and habit. Did you ever think of seeing a doctor for an obsessive compulsive disorder medication? I don't know how you feel about psychoactive drugs, they work for some, and destroy others and make them have a crutch for the rest of their lives. Doctors won't tell you what it may be like coming off of these medications, so be aware, and inform yourself. No one is going to look for answers like you will. And it seems to me that you really want to stop cutting. A psychiatrist can't put you in a mental hospital or even suggest something like this unless you tell them you want to kill yourself. I doubt you want that. There is such a thing called a patient /doctor privilege, that means they can't say anything about your discussions. It may vary from state to state, that I don't know. You'd have to look into it but you need professional help. I would think you would be more of a possible manic depressive than a schizophrenic. You are aware there is a problem, a schizophrenic I doubt would be able to see that. I wish you the best in trying to have a semblence of a content life. I know what it is like to have issues. *hugs* Mirren

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

been there done that. i just relapsed after over a year of not cutting. im on meds and shit but it doesnt work. best thing to do is find someone to help you through your probs and never ever ever be alone. i got so down one day and i cut, too deep. i almost bled to death on the bathroom floor.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

never really understood cutting but I've had a few 'things of my own' . I just turned them into artforms so at least if I do them I do them very carefully

Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_tendencies
    been there done that. i just relapsed after over a year of not cutting. im on meds and shit but it doesnt work. best thing to do is find someone to help you through your probs and never ever ever be alone. i got so down one day and i cut, too deep. i almost bled to death on the bathroom floor.
    thats the problem Im always alone or I feel alone thats my worst fear is being alone....

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Have you tried changing the behaviour? I've had a few friends who cut for years and started themselves on behaviour modification. one of them I knew in high school started carrying a bright red marker and wrote the 'cuts' instead of using a blade. I've also read about (sorry can't recall where) people writing down every instance of the urge to cut until they could narrow down what was triggering it and eventually be able to recognize the urge and do something else.

There are also in many places things like anonymous groups for cutters (Not like AA exactly but more on the support group idea) that way you might meet others who have the same sort of problem. A sense of community is good for that I believe. If you are very shy there are probably forums and groups on the net for support if you aren't up to face to face meetings with people or can't for whatever reason.

I know of some decent literature on stopping self injury. If I can find it or remember where to get it I'll let you know Shadow.

I hope this helped a little bit. Remember that you aren't alone in it.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    well I am tryin to stop cutting but I can everytime i think I have I wake up with a new one

most good art supply shops will stock gum erasers. they're pretty cheap, and squishy like modelling clay, or blu-tack without the sticky.

buy a couple, smoosh them together, make small models of body parts (er, well, yes) and cut those instead.

i know, it sounds trite. but it helped me, up to where i decided more scars didn't matter.
    Last edited by sheramil; 12-05-2004 at 05:45 PM. Reason: adverb trouble.

+ Reply to Thread