+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For People who play white wolf games

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default For People who play white wolf games

Anybody played the new Vampire game if so what do you thing of it i still like VTM better but im considering switching to VTR but ill have to go out and buy the new book i was just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on this

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: For People who play white wolf games

I've heard some pretty good stuff about them, I'm broke so I don't have the books. Although personally, my game is Orpheus.

My boyfriend is a White Wolf fanatic. He's played it for years and has tons of books on the games. He said the new Vampire is pure and utter shit. He hasn't purchased a book since they published the Time of Thin Blood. He's flatly refused to buy anything after that. All their artists left and went to Wizards of the Coast and almost all the writers left. The new people didn't bother to read the old stuff before writing the new stuff and in his opinion they ruined it all. The new bloodlines game for PC is pretty fun though. You just have to disassociate some things from White Wolf to enjoy it.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    My boyfriend is a White Wolf fanatic. He's played it for years and has tons of books on the games. He said the new Vampire is pure and utter shit. He hasn't purchased a book since they published the Time of Thin Blood. He's flatly refused to buy anything after that. All their artists left and went to Wizards of the Coast and almost all the writers left. The new people didn't bother to read the old stuff before writing the new stuff and in his opinion they ruined it all. The new bloodlines game for PC is pretty fun though. You just have to disassociate some things from White Wolf to enjoy it.
    Yeah, neither Forrest nor I has written anything for them since like 1995ish. The old guard there was a lot of fun. We used to hang out with a bunch of them a lot. Some of their parties were partly responsible for us briefly moving to Atlanta. I actually almost accepted the job of Vampire Developer when Andrew Greenberg left.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

They used to have really fun parties too!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Why did they create a new game exactly? I remember when it was being announced and never got the impression anyone WANTED a new game...kinda sad givin it always felt like the full potential of the now old game was never fully realized. Mediocre PC games and bad TV show aside...it could have been an amazing property to use in other properties...they never even did a proper movie yet many films have taken ideas they put together and made it their own (Blade, Underworld, etc.).

I'll admit I never saw their core ideas as totally original but it was a nice spin on it all and kept the vampire and werewolf genre fun and interesting.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Why did they create a new game exactly? I remember when it was being announced and never got the impression anyone WANTED a new game...kinda sad givin it always felt like the full potential of the now old game was never fully realized. Mediocre PC games and bad TV show aside...it could have been an amazing property to use in other properties...they never even did a proper movie yet many films have taken ideas they put together and made it their own (Blade, Underworld, etc.).

I'll admit I never saw their core ideas as totally original but it was a nice spin on it all and kept the vampire and werewolf genre fun and interesting.
    The reason why they changed the game is mostly for cash. The original developer of the game Mark Rein Hagen was kicked out in a hostile takeover of the company. He sued to get credit for creating the Storyteller system and won. After that they changed it to the StorytellING system and now they don't have to pay Rein Hagen.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    The reason why they changed the game is mostly for cash. The original developer of the game Mark Rein Hagen was kicked out in a hostile takeover of the company. He sued to get credit for creating the Storyteller system and won. After that they changed it to the StorytellING system and now they don't have to pay Rein Hagen.
    Mark Rein*Hagen was a really great guy, talented and generous, and he made that company and the long slow way they worked to push him out was really not cool. I don't know the details of what grisly fight took place after I left Atlanta, but they had largely pushed him out by the time I moved from there and the company was never the same. Fuckers would never give me his new number either. Link to something about the suit?

VampBoi's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    and bad TV show aside...
    I loved that show. I was very upset it didn't come back for a second season.

VampBoi's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Mark Rein*Hagen was a really great guy, talented and generous,
    I would have to agree. I met him once and we had talked for hours. He and Josh had even signed my VtM 2nd ed. for me. It just really sucks that it got stolen from me. I've always wondered what happened to him and the company with all the changes, now after reading these posts all has been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    That sounds like a really awful thing to do to a creative person. I would be interested in hearing more about the details of what happened with this.

PaulCat's Avatar 3 Of My Nine Lives Left

I've played the old Vampire, and the new one... It really depend on what you want out of the game as to which one you'll prefer.

I'm not really a fan of the old game, it takes a lot of dice and it's very slow.
    The new version is a little more combat orientated in my opinion, attacking a large group of people is a lot more cinimatic with the new system!

I've not bought any white wolf books, and to be honest i'm not planning on doing.

If anyone out there has played exhalted (Hidiously complicated, but fun once you've got the hang of it,) it's a lot like that, but with vampires in it!

Paul Cat.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCat

I've played the old Vampire, and the new one... It really depend on what you want out of the game as to which one you'll prefer.

I'm not really a fan of the old game, it takes a lot of dice and it's very slow.
    The new version is a little more combat orientated in my opinion, attacking a large group of people is a lot more cinimatic with the new system!

I've not bought any white wolf books, and to be honest i'm not planning on doing.

If anyone out there has played exhalted (Hidiously complicated, but fun once you've got the hang of it,) it's a lot like that, but with vampires in it!

Paul Cat.
    Its like exhalted with vampires? god i hated exhalted but then again maybe thats because the storyteller i played with sucked

+ Reply to Thread