+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Life In The New York Goth Scene

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Life In The New York Goth Scene

I wonder if it is the same all over the world. I have noticed that having friends and lovers in the club scene is very impermanent, and fast. They seem to come and go very quickly, everything is fast, fast, fast. Every couple of years I seem to have new friends. Some of them self destruct on drugs and disappear, some of them go to jail!!!! It's all about tonight, what drugs do they take? What club do they go to? There is no tomorrow, it's all about now...

But that is the most difficult thing I have found about "show biz", is that nothing is permanent. And it is show biz in a way, everyone is a fetish model, or in a band, or promoting shows in a club, etc.

Sometimes I try to go back to my old friends, but there is nothing there, I can't go back. My best girlfriend literally disappeared and no one can find her....

Have you found this type of thing to be true in other parts of the country or do you think this is just typical wild New York club life?

Default Re: Life In The New York Goth Scene

I think its common all over, I have lost friends and no trace over here in London as well.

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Same in Toronto. But not over the same time span. more like 5-6 years.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    I wonder if it is the same all over the world. I have noticed that having friends and lovers in the club scene is very impermanent, and fast. They seem to come and go very quickly, everything is fast, fast, fast. Every couple of years I seem to have new friends. Some of them self destruct on drugs and disappear, some of them go to jail!!!! It's all about tonight, what drugs do they take? What club do they go to? There is no tomorrow, it's all about now...

But that is the most difficult thing I have found about "show biz", is that nothing is permanent. And it is show biz in a way, everyone is a fetish model, or in a band, or promoting shows in a club, etc.

Sometimes I try to go back to my old friends, but there is nothing there, I can't go back. My best girlfriend literally disappeared and no one can find her....

Have you found this type of thing to be true in other parts of the country or do you think this is just typical wild New York club life?
    It was true in the Bay Area certainly. I know the end of the tales a little better than what you are mentioning, that only makes it worse. If you are ever in Petaluma with me, I'll show you where they often end up.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    It was true in the Bay Area certainly. I know the end of the tales a little better than what you are mentioning, that only makes it worse. If you are ever in Petaluma with me, I'll show you where they often end up.

OEC

Petaluma!!!! But I love Petaluma, it's like this creepy old farm town, perfect for a horror film....

Petaluma!!!! But I love Petaluma, it's like this creepy old farm town, perfect for a horror film....
    Petaluma is famous for it's eggs... Isn't it the egg capitol of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by synthetikdemon
    I think its common all over, I have lost friends and no trace over here in London as well.

Really? I am afraid to go looking for this girl....

I love Petaluma too. I'm thinking of the photo shoot we'd do at the cemetery. Sadly, I know all too many names there. Eggyweggs? Yeah, 'Luma is king.

OEC

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

Happens around here from time to time too, though far less often. And like OEC said, it really doesn't help that I know what happened to most of them.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i lose a lot of freinds quickly but thats more because im never in the same place for more than two years im hoping to stablize now that im in college though

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Would you want it to be permanent and constant? Isn't the fun of it all the fact change is so rapid and their is no long term understandaing that what is here today will be there tomorrow? While the need for some permanence IS important in life...I don't think that applies at all to a particular scene with a heavy influence on and important to nightlife in an urban megalopolis...it's ALL about change and new things to break us from the dull monotany of the 9 to 5 mainstream world.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Looking back over the years, I see that all my friends from when I first arrived in Germany have disappeared gradually or simply moved on to new things. Most of my *friends* now are connected to business or acquaintances made during various projects in the region. Of course, moving out here in the first place cut a deep swathe through all my previous friendships anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Would you want it to be permanent and constant? Isn't the fun of it all the fact change is so rapid and their is no long term understandaing that what is here today will be there tomorrow? While the need for some permanence IS important in life...I don't think that applies at all to a particular scene with a heavy influence on and important to nightlife in an urban megalopolis...it's ALL about change and new things to break us from the dull monotany of the 9 to 5 mainstream world.
    That's a good point... I mean maybe we don't really want anything permanent... Maybe I don't... But sometimes you think you do, like at Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    Looking back over the years, I see that all my friends from when I first arrived in Germany have disappeared gradually or simply moved on to new things. Most of my *friends* now are connected to business or acquaintances made during various projects in the region. Of course, moving out here in the first place cut a deep swathe through all my previous friendships anyway.

I want to go to Germany... That's one place I really should go. Yes, I guess you just make new friends along the way...

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat

OEC
    it does make it worse when u know what happened to them.

down here, when some one dissapears and they dont end up in jail, they generally are found face down in the trent river.

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady
    it does make it worse when u know what happened to them.

down here, when some one dissapears and they dont end up in jail, they generally are found face down in the trent river.
    It sucks to watch people fall. Ultimately, you cannot let it hinder your own journey thru life.

OEC

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

i think its the same anywhere you go. people usually want to do what they want right then and they dont stop to think about the consequences. its pretty sad when you have to just sit there and watch people self-destruct and not have any say in it because they wouldnt listen to you anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_tendencies
    i think its the same anywhere you go. people usually want to do what they want right then and they dont stop to think about the consequences. its pretty sad when you have to just sit there and watch people self-destruct and not have any say in it because they wouldnt listen to you anyways.

Oh I know... I watch them self destruct, try to get them to stop, and then they get mad at ME!! And they hate me! And then they go away.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

people like to blame other people for their problems.

I've had friends come and go my whole life but im lucky to the fact that a few have been with me for a very long time. Its is always good to have a few that know you well enough to know what you think how you tick. They help me sort shit out alot. As for the self destructors. I've been down that road before also. In the end i was tring to help my friend of 2 years and he crossed a line with me and i had to punch him in the side of the head. No matter who tries to help him they never do. So I don't bother anymore. If i friend self destucts i don't fuck with them anymore. Its not worth the headache or a busted knuckle. So yea its the same everywhere. The goth sceane here is non existant tho.

Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_tendencies
    people like to blame other people for their problems.
    It is so true. It's really good to hear that other people that have gone through the same thing. Better than a therapist. I swear I need a therapist after hanging around with my crazy friends for a few years...

+ Reply to Thread