+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastic Surgery & Piercings.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Plastic Surgery & Piercings.

Is it contradictory to have acute distain for this obsession with plastic surgery and its roll in society but to be fond of other body mods such as piercings and tattoos?

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Re: Plastic Surgery & Piercings.

Two completely different things. With surgury you're trying to create something that you're not, with tattoos and piercings you're enhancing what you are.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    Two completely different things. With surgury you're trying to create something that you're not, with tattoos and piercings you're enhancing what you are.
    wouldnt getting bigger breasts be enhancing what you have ?

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Agreed. I personally have an aversion to both, but a piercing draws attention to features that ARE your own. (ie you have nice lips, and you have a shiny piece of metal in it people will look. Like eyeliner on eyes.)

Makeup is kinda a grey area though.. you can totaly reshape someones face with makeup.. *thinks*

seems a very thin line...

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    wouldnt getting bigger breasts be enhancing what you have ?
    Certainly, and for some people it is indeed enhancing what they are, which is my emphasis.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    Agreed. I personally have an aversion to both, but a piercing draws attention to features that ARE your own. (ie you have nice lips, and you have a shiny piece of metal in it people will look. Like eyeliner on eyes.)

Makeup is kinda a grey area though.. you can totaly reshape someones face with makeup.. *thinks*
    And through make-up properly and carefully applied you can also re-create yourself or bring your innerself out, enhancing what you are too.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    seems a very thin line...
    Between what you are and what you have (or have not). But I suppose that some people honestly believe that they are their appearance and there's nothing behind ...

Between what you are and what you have (or have not). But I suppose that some people honestly believe that they are their appearance and there's nothing behind ...
    i'm not sure I understand the distinction. Can you elaborate please?
    Aren't you simply editing your appearance in both circumstances?

are & have?? You aren't a pierced tongue or a plastic nose.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i think plastic surgery and tatoos/peircings are totally different. plastic surgery is something people use to change themselves in order to gain confidence and compensate for what they were not blessed with genetically, while tatoos and peircings are body accessories used for self-expression and individuality. i personally don't have a problem with either plastic surgery or tatoos/peircings because i think that if it makes you happy then go for it... i have peircings, im planning on getting tatoos, and plastic surgery... you only have one life to live so if you have a disgusting nose that has plagued you your whole life, then fix it so that you're happy. on the other end of the spectrum people argue that plastic surgery goes agaisnt who you are and what you were born to be and if you get plastic surgery you are conforming to the superficialness of our society- but face it, that's how society is, its sad but looks matter, and nobody wants to look like an ogar and feel like shit their whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by bre.star
    if you have a disgusting nose that has plagued you your whole life, then fix it so that you're happy.
    What is an ugly nose?

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    What is an ugly nose?
    hehe now you're getting all philosophical on me!

an ugly nose is the nose that prevented the person who was born with the nose from living a normal childhood because all the children laughed and pointed and stared!

ok you won... no wait:

an ugly nose is the nose that the person who was born with the nose thinks is ugly...

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by bre.star
    hehe now you're getting all philosophical on me!

an ugly nose is the nose that prevented the person who was born with the nose from living a normal childhood because all the children laughed and pointed and stared!

ok you won... no wait:

an ugly nose is the nose that the person who was born with the nose thinks is ugly...
    But children need someone they can pojnt to an laugh at. Even the children with the ugly nose do it to other children ... It's the adults who tend to take it more seriously and it often isn't because someone has said they've got an ugly nose, it's because they've seen a better nose on the model of the day in their favourite monthly.

Am I alone in having never paid any attention to noses as a child?...No really?

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

WOW!, oh my this subject ebs and fades like crazy on here. I dunno when people are going to start facing the truth about both and the REAL reasons behind them. Both Can dramatically change a person appearance. Does it makea person better or worse? That's tough to say. I do think society is more synical towards people that get either platsic surgery or piercings and tattoos. Both seem more common now, then ever, and I don't think they(tattoo's and piercings, especially) signify ant type of individuality or improvement of a person either a person is attractive, beautiful as a human or they are not. I sometimes think..ok I often think and believe that tattoos and peircings at this time in the world are nothing more then a pissing contest and not a way of expressing oneself considering the commonality of it. It makes me think not "oh cool interesting person" but..."HMMM what are they so insecure with that they have to try so hard to fit in and be accepted?" it makes me alot more weary of people. I myself have one tattoo and may if I get my shit together get one more but THAT'S it. Also tattoo's and piercings seem to have a mystique to them especially if you have ever got one or are into the art of that culture you know that some of those tattoos aren't cheep. It seems now the marque thing to say is "oh my friend is a tattoist and I got it for free or a discount" it's like alternative cultures version of rolling in a nice car. Any half intelligent person knows it cost a ton of money and isn't fooled by it. Chances are the person may be paying it in installments the chances are maybe they have a friend that does tattoo. Either way it's comes down to the haves and have nots and the person have something I don't and therefore the persons inferoirty becomes a superority. I could also assume that person feels very insecure 24/7 and needs alot of convincing things aren't so bad. I honestley can not take anyone seriously with tattoos or piercings or plastic surgery talking about the state of the world and the underprevilaged, abused, picked on or minority. It's and insult to my intelligence and my heart. it's like a rich person picking thier ass and talking about African children with HIV/AIDS... and thier suffering. The person use to be stared at? That person used to be picked on? oh so now they are the Abuser and the picker....Think about it folks...a coin has two sides. What iy comes down to is the time of the world to much to fast and we all feel at times vulnerable and unaccepted. It's the human condition and it is not going to change. Anyhow uhmm that's 'bout that.

It falls on personal choice in my opinion. I believe that you will definitely be judged based on your appearance by * some. But its not for anyone to say whether its right or wrong. " socially acceptable" is another story...but who really cares if you are being acceptible to society??

+ Reply to Thread