+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My own comic

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

Default My own comic

I always wanted to create my own comic. However, with the future looking like it is, and my own talents in question, not to mention an already oversaturated market, I feel a little less then compitent. Outright fucking pipe dream even. Everything I did before was always more then satisfactory, but now, everything I want to do turns to shit before my eyes. This makes mealtime quite interesting indeed.
    My family is either dying, being jailed, or being ridiculed and backstabbed at work right and left, and nearly everyone I thought was a friend is turning out to be nothing more than a rat bastard. Why should I try to make friends when all they will do is dust a spot off my back and take aim? Why should I even trust? Every person I meet now is just another I wish would either leave me alone or die.
    And yet, the foolishness of youth keeps giving me false hope. Maybe this person will be different. Maybe you won't totally fuck up this little bit of pretty you're trying to make. And every time I get empty words and another broken pencil to show for my effort. Maybe I should just sweep floors.

The little frog Bubbles's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: My own comic

I Love you , don't give up your pipe dream.it's all we have.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

If you wan tto do a comic...do a web comic. You may not see $$$ but exposure is easier than print these days (it's sill a major challenge). But if you put together something worthwhile I am sure you'll get it off the ground. I'm planning to do a web comic this year after pretty much having my fill with the print world and current comic book market...the only good thing is that the insane amount of shit that was produced is finally dying off...unfortunately it's taken publishers with it.

Still it's the best time for a comic...it's anyones game at the moment.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

If you want to do a print comic check out your independent booksellers and the market first and see whether it is likely to be accepted. Planning is everything; the comic is, in the end, a secondary product. The main thing is to ensure that you don't lose money on the product so that you can carry on. Many independent, small run comics make it into the big time or get to be collector's objects and that often makes it all worthwhile.

I've done it with small books, maybe thirty pages long, hand bound, smaller than A5. Two hundred copies with a market that I know and trust and, should I do another set (I've done roughly two hundred and fifty titles) I know that I can sell more than 200 copies without any problems. Some of the books I produced for other people are handled on the collector's market and for much more money than the cover price.

+ Reply to Thread