+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attention Span

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Attention Span

Have you noticed that people's attention span seems to be getting shorter and shorter. Maybe it's just my brain dead friends.... But I have to say something within 5 words or they hang up or have to do something else. Everything has to be said in sound bites.... It's OK if you talk about THEM, but if you start to talk about yourself, they just hang up.....

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Default Re: Attention Span

I noticed this too. If you look at media, you'll see how some of the more "mainstream" movies, commercials, and MTV programs have just been epileptic-fit inducing-- i.e. moving so fast it's like you're watching a strobe light. I can't watch some of the stuff without getting dizzy. What's up with that? Maybe they're either trying to keep up with today's shorter attention span, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    I noticed this too. If you look at media, you'll see how some of the more "mainstream" movies, commercials, and MTV programs have just been epileptic-fit inducing-- i.e. moving so fast it's like you're watching a strobe light. I can't watch some of the stuff without getting dizzy. What's up with that? Maybe they're either trying to keep up with today's shorter attention span, or vice versa.
    Exactly! I guess it's just too much information, so it has to be fast, fast fast fast!!!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    Exactly! I guess it's just too much information, so it has to be fast, fast fast fast!!!
    Soundbite media. Images flashing at a million miles a minute. I have a rhetoric class where you cannot use "like" in colloquial. A lot of people struggle not to. What was the question again? Wasn't paying attention.

OEC

ha I know how that is Im kinda the same way but I just do it to get off the phone with some one I dont like so I try and make it so I dont hurt anyones feelings Same when Im some ware I dont want to be.
    Shadow~

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Society is getting faster. Everyone feels that they have to complete things quicker because there is something else that must be done. Nothing but stress and less friendly, one-on-one communication. A recent poll in Singapore showed that women aged group 16 - 24 talked more on their mobiles than to one another face-to-face. Sad.

And then everyone has so many forms of commication, cell phones, e-mail addresses, IM's, telephones, faxes, and then when you talk to someone on their cell phone, they have call waiting, so they have to get the other line, then they have to answer their regular phone, which has call waiting, so they have to put them on hold.... AHHH!!!!

I swear, the other day I tried to talk to my friend and not only did he have to put me on hold because he had call waiting, but he had to answer his cell phone, then his sister kept yelling in the background plus his daughter. I guess I just will not call him anymore!!!

And it was an important call about some papers he needed to fill out for a big hearing that is coming up!!!

And then everyone has so many forms of commication, cell phones, e-mail addresses, IM's, telephones, faxes, and then when you talk to someone on their cell phone, they have call waiting, so they have to get the other line, then they have to answer their regular phone, which has call waiting, so they have to put them on hold.... AHHH!!!!

I swear, the other day I tried to talk to my friend and not only did he have to put me on hold because he had call waiting, but he had to answer his cell phone, then his sister kept yelling in the background plus his daughter. I guess I just will not call him anymore!!!

And it was an important call about some papers he needed to fill out for a big hearing that is coming up!!!
    I can go online on my cell phone even

OEC

Everything now is all about interruption, even TV shows will have a benner on the bottom of the screen telling you what is coming up next!!! You can interrupt a cell phone call with call waiting, a TV show with another TV show, an IM with someone else's IM.

That is why in my apartment there is NO computer, no cell phone, nothing, no equipment, just a TV/DVD and normal phone and I SCREEN all my calls..

Just candles and red velvet and my chandelier on dim...

So peaceful..

Everything now is all about interruption, even TV shows will have a benner on the bottom of the screen telling you what is coming up next!!! You can interrupt a cell phone call with call waiting, a TV show with another TV show, an IM with someone else's IM.

That is why in my apartment there is NO computer, no cell phone, nothing, no equipment, just a TV/DVD and normal phone and I SCREEN all my calls..

Just candles and red velvet and my chandelier on dim...

So peaceful..
    I do feel way too accessible sometimes

OEC

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Have you noticed that people's attention spans seems to be getting

uh, sorry, i lost you about there.

if you start to think the world's going around faster than before (which it is, slightly, thanks to that tsunami), turn off the TV and PC and unplug the phone, get a book that's more than an inch thick and pretend to read it. i recommend Clive Barker's Galilee; it reads like Jackie Collins on opium.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    uh, sorry, i lost you about there.

if you start to think the world's going around faster than before (which it is, slightly, thanks to that tsunami), turn off the TV and PC and unplug the phone, get a book that's more than an inch thick and pretend to read it. i recommend Clive Barker's Galilee; it reads like Jackie Collins on opium.
    If you're worrying about the world going faster then you should also worry that the air is getting thinner, since Europe is reckoned to be one centimetre higher now than before the Tsunami.

Getting a book which is more than an inch thick and really reading it, rather than pretending, is something I every single day. It makes for wonderful relaxation and makes me glad that my telephone number(s) are unlisted.

+ Reply to Thread