+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should nyc be made the 51st state?

and your little dog too

Default should nyc be made the 51st state?

from nypost

A bill that would create a commission to study whether the city should secede from New York state will get another hearing soon — after sitting in the City Council for nearly two years

The bill was introduced on Feb. 26, 2003. A hearing was held shortly after, but no action has been taken on the bill since then.

"I expected delays and opposition when we got to the state level, but I never thought it would be held up for two years trying to get out of a City Council committee," said Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. (D-Queens), who introduced the bill.

But Councilman Bill Perkins (D-Manhattan) — the chair of the Government Operations committee, where the bill has been held up since May 2003 — told The Post that he plans to hold another hearing on the bill "sometime this year."

After a disappointing "State of the State" speech two weeks ago, Vallone said this was the perfect time to look at whether the city should secede.

"Ten years of long political speeches and empty promising while New York City residents pay for his mistakes, Gov. Pataki is slapping us on the back with one hand while lifting our wallets with the other," Vallone said. "We cannot raise taxes any more, nor can we make any further cuts. This may be our only viable option."

A spokesman for Mayor Bloomberg declined to comment.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: should nyc be made the 51st state?

Absolutely not. That would be a dangerous precedent if any city seceded from a state.

OEC

and your little dog too

i see the issue in terms of there being such different sizes in states and different concerns in different parts but it seemed creepy to me anyway

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

This is probably bad information but, I heard that they were going to make south eastern Washington, and North North Eastern Oregon a new state...

Anyways back to the topic of the hour.... I don't think NYC should be another state. Its just one city. What're they going to do - divide the city into more cities???

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

That's just stupid. I got a bill, how about combining North Dakota and South Dakota into Dakota, no one would notice. Or getting rid of Wyoming, has anyone ever been there? Does anyone know someone from Wyoming? I think it doesn't really exist.

"I'de like to visit this Long Island someday....If only it were real"

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Washington DC deserves that honor well before NYC...in fact, I find the idea reprehensible and as much as I dont want to stereotype new yorkers, this sort of elitism seems pretty typical.

what would be the point of secession?

+ Reply to Thread