+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speak your mind.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Speak your mind.

In the US, millions of letters fly across from one household to another each day - I'm one of those people who contributes to that number of letters in my small way. Many letters are directed to the leaders and policy makers of the nation, but how many of them are read and how many of them are actioned?

I recently read a letter addressed to President Bush which asked him, simply and directly, if he was awake. I don't know of a reply.

Similarly, with the following letter, I don't know whether the person who originally wrote it will ever receive an answer, or whether President Bush will ever see the letter.

Some observations

To:
    President George Bush

January 22, 2005

Once, I asked my friend if she believed in the existence of Satan. She said not in a literal sense, but that the concept embodies social chaos and destruction - lies, deceit, harm. I was reminded of a conversation I had 25 years ago with a close friend, a professor of developmental psychology, after I had finished a clinical practicum working with inmates in a federal penitentiary. He asked me if I thought anyone was truly evil, and in my callow and idealistic youth I said no; that everyone has some redeeming positive quality.

Over the last few months, I've considered the promises, rhetoric and actions that have emanated from your 'administration', and it gave me thought to review that old question. I got out the notes I have been keeping on you for some years and went over them, which led me to question my friend.

I decline to proffer a diagnosis of your mental state. That would be unethical. Without slander or libel I am free to call you a liar and a cheat. The evidence exists at literally thousands of locations around the world and is available with little effort.

Most people are acquainted with pain. You enjoy it vicariously in myself and others. Undoubtedly there are some who simply pity you. I do not. I despise you. I find no worth in you as a human being whatsoever, and whatever qualities are lumped together to construct the mythical figure of Satan are all found in yourself.

I will continue to expose you because as Edmond Burke said, "Evil triumphs when good men say nothing." So I shall continue from a sense of duty to humankind, just as years ago I separated the body parts of small, dead children from wrecked autos after some drunk had whimsically declared himself capable of driving. Please do not think for one second that I am exposing you for any other reason. Not one word or action I have ever seen from you contains a grain of truth or honesty.

I shall fulfill my promise to have my children and friends read history textbooks because I want them to find out now that there are people like yourself that would strip them of their intellect and innocent desire to learn truth, and then **** them with the perverted seed of fascism, disguised as "compassionate conservatism."

I want them to know that beyond the humour in your self-ridicule there is a depth of evil that is unsurpassed in the most hardened criminal.

I care not whether you seek mental help. You are there; I am here. As long as you continue to spew crass and arrogant lies in public (who knows what craven notions you espouse in private) and decimate the soul of America I will be there to show the dishonesty that oozes from every pore of your wretched body.

You have fooled, cajoled, or intimidated a fair portion of the electorate. But your scam is coming unraveled...every day, thousands of Americans are willing to admit they have been victimized by a superb con job and we are not going to take it any more. What you have done to the country, the Presidency, the Constitution and the world is obscene and disgusting.

Not all of us are willing fools, Mr. Bush.

(removed contact details of the writer)
    Wagoner , OK

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Speak your mind.

haha. No, he'll never see that. I've received responses from Senators on some timely issues. How would Bush take action on that letter? Kill himself?

OEC

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    haha. No, he'll never see that. I've received responses from Senators on some timely issues. How would Bush take action on that letter? Kill himself?

OEC
    Funnily enough, the company involved with delivering such letters (it's a special service, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to find a copy) claims that it delivers the letters personally and by hand ... but doesn't say that they demand a receipt over the delivery to the real addressee.

How many letters do you think Bush receives?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale
    Funnily enough, the company involved with delivering such letters (it's a special service, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to find a copy) claims that it delivers the letters personally and by hand ... but doesn't say that they demand a receipt over the delivery to the real addressee.

How many letters do you think Bush receives?
    Thousands per day I would imagine. I seriously doubt they hand deliver anything to Bush. Most likely, it is to one of the many people who read and answer his mail for him.

OEC

Weblogger

Do letters to Bush and other elected officials get answered? I've been writing letters to people since the mid-Eighties (bored in Northern Ireland, what can I say?) and reckon with upwards of 80% not getting answered, even when they are sensible and pose questions.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Well he certainly doesn't read his e-mails. From http://www.rawilson.com/main.shtml

8 Ramadan, 1425 a.H.

Dear President Bush,

I've been looking at TV news a lot lately, and have noted that the drug commercials seem full of 'liberal' [Jeffersonian/Kerryan] propaganda. They all tell me to consult my DOCTOR before choosing a medicine -- NONE OF THEM TELL ME TO CONSULT THE TSAR!!!

My doctor disagrees with the Tsar about which pain killer will best treat my postpolio symptoms. The commmercials are trying to lure me into following research-based ideas rather than faith-based ideas!

Are you going to allow this heresy to continue?

Worriedly,

Robert Wilson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for e-mailing President Bush. Your ideas and comments are very important to him.

Because of the large volume of e-mail received, the President cannot personally respond to each message. However, the White House staff considers and reports citizen ideas and concerns.

In addition to President@WhiteHouse.gov, we have developed White House Web Mail, an automated e-mail response system. Please access http://www.whitehouse.gov/webmail to submit comments on a specific issue.

Additionally, we welcome you to visit our website for the most up-to-date information on current events and topics of interest to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear President Bush,

Forgive my mental slowness,but I don't understand your answer.

Should I follow the research-based opinions of my doctor or the faith-based opinions of the Tsar?

And: if we should follow faith instead of research, why don't you stop those ads that tell us to consult our doctors and make them tell us to consult the Tsar?

Your obedient serf,

Robert Anton Wilson

Thank you for e-mailing President Bush. Your ideas and comments are very important to him.

Because of the large volume of e-mail received, the President cannot personally respond to each message. However, the White House staff considers and reports citizen ideas and concerns.

In addition to President@WhiteHouse.gov, we have developed White House Web Mail, an automated e-mail response system. Please access http://www.whitehouse.gov/webmail to submit comments on a specific issue.

Additionally, we welcome you to visit our website for the most up-to-date information on current events and topics of interest to you.

Weblogger

Well yes, but fortunately I still rely on the old pen (well, computer) and paper in the hope that there will be a reply from his office at the very least.

To be honest, I expect it to take a while before I'll say there isn't going to be an answer, since my letter to him is waiting for tomorrow's post. I'd have caught today's post but for the lack of a stamp!

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

When Prime Minister Chretien first came into office in Canada I was 8 and wrote him a letter. I don't really remember what i wrote, something about hoping he did a good job and made the country a better place. I was pretty sure I'd just get back some pre-made letter with a stamped signature on it. But to my suprise I got a personalized letter back, with an actual signature, an autographed photo and brief biography of him, and a bunch of Canadian geography and history games.

I still can't believe anyone would have taken the time to write back an 8 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady
    When Prime Minister Chretien first came into office in Canada I was 8 and wrote him a letter. I don't really remember what i wrote, something about hoping he did a good job and made the country a better place. I was pretty sure I'd just get back some pre-made letter with a stamped signature on it. But to my suprise I got a personalized letter back, with an actual signature, an autographed photo and brief biography of him, and a bunch of Canadian geography and history games.

I still can't believe anyone would have taken the time to write back an 8 yr old.

santa clause used to write back to me when i lived in england, that was sweet of the postal service guys huh?!

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by morbid_lady

To be honest, I think it more likely that a child will receive a reply than an adult.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    santa clause used to write back to me when i lived in england, that was sweet of the postal service guys huh?!
    If you're good he'll write again this year.

Anyone know whether Sherlock Holmes still answers his mail? Anyone prepared to try?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I get letters from my senators and representative. And because of that I hate one of my senators and my representative. But then again I'm talking about Sam Brownback and Jim Ryun. For the most part I have nothing against Republicans, but this new breed of the religious right has to get the fuck out of office.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Do you know why Bush doesn't read his mail? Because he doesn't want to know what the people are saying. He doesn't care unless it's putting money in his pocket. He is heartless enough to ruin the lives of so many, so why should he bother to read mail from simple people like us? He just DOESN'T CARE!!!!

Sad isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Do you know why Bush doesn't read his mail? Because he doesn't want to know what the people are saying. He doesn't care unless it's putting money in his pocket. He is heartless enough to ruin the lives of so many, so why should he bother to read mail from simple people like us? He just DOESN'T CARE!!!!

Sad isn't it?
    Whose lives has Bush ruined? I could answer that as I generally see it answered. I did not vote for the guy, but is it really as hyperbolic as the rhetoric? I know of Tsars, of Hitler and of Stalin. He isn't even close. Such comparisons are odious (not that you are making them)

OEC

Whose lives has Bush ruined? I could answer that as I generally see it answered. I did not vote for the guy, but is it really as hyperbolic as the rhetoric? I know of Tsars, of Hitler and of Stalin. He isn't even close. Such comparisons are odious (not that you are making them)

OEC
    nah, i find those comparisons sometimes warranted and always humorous. I often make them.

nah, i find those comparisons sometimes warranted and always humorous. I often make them.
    I immediately dismiss them. They are disrespectful to the victims of Tsars, Hitler, and Stalin. It adds nothing to political discourse. Why not make a reasoned argument? Hyperbole achieves nothing.

OEC

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

When I refer to the ruining of lives, I'm thinking in a more overall way...
    The money he spends on the "pointless" war (meaning the big search for the Iraq weapons)...could be used to aid healthcare, education, welfare....
    The soldiers who died, their lives were ruined, for what?
    The innocent people that died as a result of his bad decision, their lives were ruined!

I immediately dismiss them. They are disrespectful to the victims of Tsars, Hitler, and Stalin. It adds nothing to political discourse. Why not make a reasoned argument? Hyperbole achieves nothing.

OEC
    hmm.....i think that i have never done it in a disrespectful manner.

anyway, what do you think of this?, its from http://www.idleworm.com/index.shtml .

"I'm sometimes amused (and puzzled) by the occasional email from disbelieving Bush-babies. They don't know if I'm serious when I describe Bush as a fascist, or (when I'm really grumpy) a nazi. Funny how his government displays all 14 characteristics of Fascism ( http://www.secularhumanism.org/libra...britt_23_2.htm ) . I guess that's just a coincidence, then. He is after all, a man of God, as are his followers. Yup, indeedy. Good, Godfearing souls, who would bring back concentration camps ( http://www.juancole.com/2004/12/pipe...amps-that.html ) , then pray for the souls of all us inmates"

hmm.....i think that i have never done it in a disrespectful manner.

anyway, what do you think of this?, its from http://www.idleworm.com/index.shtml .

"I'm sometimes amused (and puzzled) by the occasional email from disbelieving Bush-babies. They don't know if I'm serious when I describe Bush as a fascist, or (when I'm really grumpy) a nazi. Funny how his government displays all 14 characteristics of Fascism ( http://www.secularhumanism.org/libra...britt_23_2.htm ) . I guess that's just a coincidence, then. He is after all, a man of God, as are his followers. Yup, indeedy. Good, Godfearing souls, who would bring back concentration camps ( http://www.juancole.com/2004/12/pipe...amps-that.html ) , then pray for the souls of all us inmates"
    Looks like somebody needs to read up on what fascism really was. I see a few valid points, but fascism is a specific form of corporatism. As to Pipes, that's just bullshit. I note the hint of anti-semitism in equating a zionist with nazism.

OEC

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i knew someone that wrote him a letter loving him,just to see if he'd do somthing, and he got some thing back with a letter on some pretty nice paper and a pictureof Bush.....so maybe it's just because there question

ohh and he immediatly burned the paper and put the picture half burnt on the wal with darts in it...........

Looks like somebody needs to read up on what fascism really was. I see a few valid points, but fascism is a specific form of corporatism. As to Pipes, that's just bullshit. I note the hint of anti-semitism in equating a zionist with nazism.

OEC

anyway, just to say that i was only interested in your opinion. The article does not express my thoughts or sentiments.

anyway, just to say that i was only interested in your opinion. The article does not express my thoughts or sentiments.
    Oh, I know. Most arguments to the contrary are equally hyperbolic. 'tis sad.

OEC

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    When I refer to the ruining of lives, I'm thinking in a more overall way...
    The money he spends on the "pointless" war (meaning the big search for the Iraq weapons)...could be used to aid healthcare, education, welfare....
    The soldiers who died, their lives were ruined, for what?
    The innocent people that died as a result of his bad decision, their lives were ruined!
    Watch the upcoming debates. There is a move to cut Medicaid further according to the Senate debate listings.

Weblogger

Anyone can make the comparisons - and some people obviously believe in them - but there are no comparisons in reality. Hitler doesn't even come close to Stalin - no matter what some groups may claim - and no one in modern history comes close to Hitler. Saddam is but a peanut in a cage full of elephants in comparison.

+ Reply to Thread