View Poll Results: Do you think recreational cannabis should be legalised?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell YEAh!

29 85.29%
  • Shit No!

4 11.76%
  • Who cares?!

1 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think recreational cannabis should be legalised??

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Do you think recreational cannabis should be legalised??

I do.

Default Re: Do you think recreational cannabis should be legalised??

Yes. Making it legal would probably cut down on usage by I'd say a good 10% by the people that already use it anyway. Not only that, but then they could openly research its medical value, and the government could make money from the taxation on it (even though they're probably making HUGE amounts of money from it anyway.)

And I'd be able to smoke it when I have a cup of coffee in the morning.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm not a fan of being around most stoners, but I think it should all be legalized. My body, my choice.

Although there are exceptions to any rule of this sort, I find that people who smoke an excess of pot tend to have decreased ambition and decreased ability to realize the goals of what ambition they do have remaining.

Of course, plenty of people are just fine smoking in moderation.

Plus pot smokers often think they are not really doing a drug and get all peer pressurey if there is anyone in the room not doing it. In my experience, people ingesting other sorts of chemistry tend not to do this, with the exception of alcohol which people are even worse about.

But I absolutely 100% think marajuana and hashish should be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I'm not a fan of being around most stoners, but I think it should all be legalized. My body, my choice.

Although there are exceptions to any rule of this sort, I find that people who smoke an excess of pot tend to have decreased ambition and decreased ability to realize the goals of what ambition they do have remaining.

Of course, plenty of people are just fine smoking in moderation.

Plus pot smokers often think they are not really doing a drug and get all peer pressurey if there is anyone in the room not doing it. In my experience, people ingesting other sorts of chemistry tend not to do this, with the exception of alcohol which people are even worse about.

But I absolutely 100% think marajuana and hashish should be legal.
    What's the difference between marijuana and hashish?

spdstsposeo's Avatar Member

Well...personally I don't use it...but i don't see a thing wrong with it...and don't see why they don't...if alcohol can be legal...why can't weed...

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

No, because some people have REALLY intense reactions to it, LIKE ME!! Dangerous reactions, like LSD or worse. People that have a history of mental illness/split personalities should not take it.

You would not believe how frightening and scary it is for me when I just take one hit of it! I thought I was going to lose my mind.

My brother almost jumped off a cliff on it. I swear, I know this sounds strange, but some people just reacte to it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    No, because some people have REALLY intense reactions to it, LIKE ME!! Dangerous reactions, like LSD or worse. People that have a history of mental illness/split personalities should not take it.

You would not believe how frightening and scary it is for me when I just take one hit of it! I thought I was going to lose my mind.

My brother almost jumped off a cliff on it. I swear, I know this sounds strange, but some people just reacte to it differently.
    ...that's why i don't do it...i did it once with my brother and had like...a panic attack...got really sick...I dont have a split personality but do have a handfull of mental problems

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

altho i dont do drugs i see nothing wrong with it marijuana seems prety tame comparedt to other drugs out there

Quote Originally Posted by spdstsposeo
    ...that's why i don't do it...i did it once with my brother and had like...a panic attack...got really sick...I dont have a split personality but do have a handfull of mental problems
    I know, that's what happens to me, I get crazy and scared, and then I get sick. It is SO horrible!! Some people just love it!!!

I know, that's what happens to me, I get crazy and scared, and then I get sick. It is SO horrible!! Some people just love it!!!
    oh god..my brother sometimes spent entire paychecks on one night of.."fun" all i got out of it is the feeling that everything is closing in on me and sickness lol...so much fun.

yeah....i've noticed this too, some people just don't seem to be able to handle it.....maybe it goes to deep for some people?

Quote Originally Posted by spdstsposeo
    oh god..my brother sometimes spent entire paychecks on one night of.."fun" all i got out of it is the feeling that everything is closing in on me and sickness lol...so much fun.
    Love your Nosferatu picture!! So cute!!!!! Very Vampire!!!

Love your Nosferatu picture!! So cute!!!!! Very Vampire!!!
    Oh I LOVE silent horror films

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I think it should be legalized. I'm just glad I have friends from Amsterdam.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

People should be able to do what they want to do as long as it does not hurt other people.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

ok, as weird as it is ,the guy on here that did drugs and smoked weed for over a decade constently,ME, said not to legalize,think about it ,do you really think people will be responsible with it.............NO........people don't know how to control, limit,ect,ect............if people could just be fuckin' responsible than i'd be the first to say hell yea, but it's like fucking communism, it just won't work becuse people are people............fucking people

i'd say AT LEAST 90% would be stuipidly iresponsible with it..............

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    ok, as weird as it is ,the guy on here that did drugs and smoked weed for over a decade constently,ME, said not to legalize,think about it ,do you really think people will be responsible with it.............NO........people don't know how to control, limit,ect,ect............if people could just be fuckin' responsible than i'd be the first to say hell yea, but it's like fucking communism, it just won't work becuse people are people............fucking people

Yeah, but stupid irresponsible people will always find a way to screw up. If it is not one thing, it will be another. I oppose any legislation to protect us from ourselves.

I don't want my taxes paying to track, prosecute, and imprison stupid irresponsible people.

Should you be unable to get a decent job now because you have a criminal record for having gone through an irresponsible phase?

can't agree with you here at all. they'll be doing stupid shit either way, only at the moment they're putting money into the hands of criminals.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I dont smoke pot, I actually hate it. The smell alone makes me sick to my stomache. My finace smokes in moderation, but nothing thats super creepy as far as quantity. I cant stand hanging around with stoners. They bore the hell out of me. Last time I smoked pot was a few years ago, only two hits, and I passed out and threw up everywhere. I couldnt move. It was defineately NOT fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Yeah, but stupid irresponsible people will always find a way to screw up. If it is not one thing, it will be another. I oppose any legislation to protect us from ourselves.

I don't want my taxes paying to track, prosecute, and imprison stupid irresponsible people.

Should you be unable to get a decent job now because you have a criminal record for having gone through an irresponsible phase?

yea,good point..........probalby ,me ,just ,not wanting people to be able to get such ,things...........there not just weed,pot,whatever,but mind altering,substances,that , ithink, should be used by the people that use it for that,self-exploration,ect,ect........

therefore im sure theres some part in the back of my head that just doesn't it becoming even more of a "party" substance............you and 23* have good points............

No. Keeping mans natural inclination to rebel in mind, I believe that there is something to be said for the thrill found when doing something slightly unlawful such as purchasing and using weed. No one get's hurt, well rarely I'd imagine, and people've been smoking illegally for decades anyway. I’d rather killers smoke pot, feel satiated, and not kill than the alternative. The only thing legalizing alcohol has done was produce more alcoholics. Die hard weed connoisseurs are an evolved sub-culture in their own right. High Times is a much more popular read because of it’s illegal platform and when was the last time you picked up a copy of “Wino Weekly” or “Booze Today”. Now that pot smokers have finally managed to manipulate "the system" to meet their needs with medicinal marijuana and cannabis clubs, legalizing it for recreational use would be seen as more of a middle finger to pot smokers at this point. The only reason the state would completely legalize marijuana would be to produce it in the U.S., cut Canada out of the HUGE profit they're currently reaping, and tax pot like tobacco and alcohol. Put simply, I don't know anyone that has got in legal trouble for smoking pot and those that have should lace their weed with some common sense. [B]

yea,good point..........probalby ,me ,just ,not wanting people to be able to get such ,things...........there not just weed,pot,whatever,but mind altering,substances,that , ithink, should be used by the people that use it for that,self-exploration,ect,ect........

therefore im sure theres some part in the back of my head that just doesn't it becoming even more of a "party" substance............you and 23* have good points............

Honestly, I think pot is a bad drug. I would way rather be around people doing almost any other drug if they are going for the chemical thang, except like crack and PCP.

But I think the person any drug hurts the most (if it causes any damage at all) is the person doing it. And I don't think we can legislate people into taking better care of themselves. I'm recovering from a slow-healing broken ankle. I don't have insurance and I'm paying for high end physical therapy out of my own pocket and I do the excersizes and icing in between sessions. But I don't do them as often as I'm supposed to. I don't think I'm getting as much calcium in my diet as I should to maintain the healed bone. But I would hate to have to pay a lawyer or go to jail because I didn't do the excersize and ice every single day. I think legislating against people doing something which is not 100% good for them just doesn't make sense.

If someone overeats, they get fat, but I don't think overeating should be illegal. If someone smokes too much pot, they accomplish less and smell funny and may be a little slow on things like decisions, but I don't think it should be illegal. I just think people should be told frankly about what the dangers are.

Quote Originally Posted by StantonLaVey
    Put simply, I don't know anyone that has got in legal trouble for smoking pot and those that have should lace their weed with some common sense. [B]
    ....You've never met someone that's gotten arrested for smoking pot? I know several people that were arrested for having "contraband" in their vehicle, or being found with a bag on them.

Then again, the cops pull over almost everyone that isn't 60 around here. (Even though it's the 60 year olds in the next county that's growing it.)

"Everybody's got their bag, baby" Sammy Davis Jr.

I propose varying degrees of freedom and legal rights for varying degrees of intellect. Stupid people should be strictly limited legally in every way. Pot smoking, child rearing and any and all other resource depleting human pleasures should be made available only to those intelligent enough to enjoy them. Social evolution starts with rewarding the strong and punishing the weak.

Hail Satan!

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

Oh dear i am only the second to vote no!
    I just despise pot. I used to smoke then i quit and havnt touched it in over 5 years, the smell alone makes me want to puke then punch people. All we need is a society filled with people who wanna sit down on the couch all day and eat pogos and fuckin poutines! (those were my munchie foods) Wait this seems to be a problem that is already here.

Quote Originally Posted by adorn_shadow
    I just despise pot. I used to smoke then i quit and havnt touched it in over 5 years, the smell alone makes me want to puke then punch people. All we need is a society filled with people who wanna sit down on the couch all day and eat pogos and fuckin poutines! (those were my munchie foods) Wait this seems to be a problem that is already here.
    no really, if you don't like it thats fine but what about everyone else?....if more people sat on couches instead of shooting lead at one another we'd all be better off.

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    no really, if you don't like it thats fine but what about everyone else?....if more people sat on couches instead of shooting lead at one another we'd all be better off.

it really does make sense, i just can't trust the general population,could limit themselves, and eventualy things that might actually be kinda important ,might not get done...........i can't quite say what im thinking ,but hopefully you get my point.........

shit ,i wish we could all just embrace in a nice bowl, but there's times to enjoy a bowl,and times to take care of your people,do you really think they could do it..........?.........

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

My point is that instead of spending all kinds of money on "the war on drugs", they should spend all that money on education, programs to help people, etc... Considering how much money they spend on law-enforcement, prisons, etc, if they used that on education, we would have a society more capable of making good decisions. What I dislike, is government attempting to regulate people's personal lives. If someone wants to smoke a bowl, and be lazy at home, so what? If someone wants to sniff glue or paint, and destroy their brain, it's their choice. It should not be illegal. The government does too much controling of people's personal freedoms in these areas. As long as it's at home, in private, let people do what they want. I am all for HARSH penalties for doing drugs and driving, etc... But not for use and posession. Who are we to tell people what to do with their own bodies and minds? We focus too much on the symptoms of a fucked up society, rather than fixing the root problems.

no... never.... it will ruin me :/

But the question was not should you smoke pot. The question was should it be legal.

Should you have a criminal record for the rest of your life because you used to smoke it?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

What benefits would result from having it legalized? Look at the Tobacco industry...is that what pot heads want? I'd be more in support of having the legal issues associated with them less severe than full on legalization. It is silly as hell to see peopl ein jail for smoking pot or having such small quantities it's almost laughable. The day pot goes legal would not magically change the way it's regulated anyhow...all those illegal groweres would not get a free ride since they would be under federal eyes to grow it as the laws for it state...and tobacco companies would probably swoop on in to kill em off as competition anyhow.

Many keep mentinoning amsterdamn as some sort of example...the place would DIE OFF super fast if pot was legalized in a major country. The copycat disctricts would push to not only out do it but undercut it in cost and variety...basicly what you see when any industry is legalized and made open to competition.

Personally if pot is your thing then deal with the reality asssociated with it and go to places like amsterdamn if you can...the real world legalization of it would probably leave a bad taste in your mouths anyhow.

I personally think it should be legalized. Alcohol has been legal forever, some abuse it, some moderate it, some don't drink at all. Pot being legal would have about the same result. Some people would use far too much and sit around and veg all day long, others would use it moderately, others wouldn't touch it.

I smoked for about 7 years. Pretty much every day, all day. For a good chunk of the time I was selling it so I smoked a lot. I can tell you first hand that it's not good for teenagers. It retards emotional growth, as well as destroys motivation at a time when you need it most. It also really affects the memory. Imo, legalization would cut down on teens using it. Maybe not alot but some because the rebelious nature of it wouldn't be as great. Yeah some teens smoke cigarettes (though that is at an all time low now) and some drink both are legal at a certain age, but I believe that with the proper propoganda (not refer madness) it could be toned down.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

I can't believe you guys started this one without me!!!
    first off- if you said no - you must be high!!
    please!!
    alchol and tobacco are legal- and they don't do shit for society!! we all know about the great things tobacco does, and alchol kills more people every year than all drugs combined !!! fuck- and thats like our national pasttime!! so much we do revolves around that piss!!!
    I won't go into the rant about all the positive benefits of marijuana(although there are plenty)- look it up- Im sure theres a few hundred sites that can give you more than enough info- e me if you must take that route. And no- I don't give a shit about the "medicinal" uses- I feel thats kinda stretching it- but it does help aids and cancer patients-whatever- Just the fact that it has so many positive benefits should be enough- its just a nice side line that we can get high too- what the fuck is wrong with that.
    First- If you don't like it don't do it- (I forget who said something about people trying to peer-presure you smoking but- those people need to grow the fuck up- )
    Second- don't lump us all into the same "stoner" bag- mankind is overflowing with morons and thats just the way it will always be- regardless if drugs of any kind are around- man will fuck up anything good- any social group, clique, whatever- will have a majority of morons!!
    I've said this before in another thread- I know plenty of people who've been smokin looooong time, and are still bright, intelligent, resposible individuals, and then I know several idiots who smoked for a while and ended up being- guess what- a bigger idiot- go figure-
    Most who die on drugs are doing us a favor- weeding thier weak seed out of our gene pool!!!! I hate runnin into those morons from high school now who wanna show me all there half-retarded cracker spawns!!!

ok- maybe Iam ranting- sorry- just really passionate about this subject- some of you brought up good points- simply put- YES

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I think it should be decriminalized. You wouldnt have a criminal record however a hefty fine.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i would vote for it to be legalized

I think it should be decriminalized. You wouldnt have a criminal record however a hefty fine.
    Do you mean you think it should still be a crime, but one with a punishment of a financial nature rather than jail time?

So far I have not seen a good reason to keep it illegal. Sure it's bad for you, intoxicants are, it's right there in the name. The purpose of law is to protect us from eachother, not ourselves. I mean, if they really wanted to protect us from ourselves, private ownershop of cars would go right out the window. Hell skiing would be right out.

I think huffing is definitive proof that we always have access to some form of intoxicant. And real freedom has to include the right to make the wrong choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Sure it's bad for you,
    0 people die from cannibas use every year.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I'd legalize it. Let life sort people out. I don't like pot personally. You have to be fairly inept to get caught for something like weed, I don't think it should be on your PERMANENT RECORD (Violent Femmes)
    The need to rebel can be satiated in a myriad of ways. If you get bored just rebel against rebellion itself.
    Obviously, I'd make it a serious offense to drive, operate machinery etc while stoned. Also, I believe employers should be able to discriminate in an environment where drugs are legal. This would optimize the level of personal responsibility. If you can do drugs, earn a living, and not hurt anyone in the process: more power to you. The rest of us do not owe them anything tho.

OEC

Threads like this are great. Brings out everyone's passion and ability to make cool references to obscure things that only certain people can dig. Generally, I am all for personal responsibility. I find pot to be boring and if I were to do any more drugs in my life, it would certainly be something more interesting than weed. If other people want to rot away their ambition and live like hillbillies in the swamp, be my guest...

My issue with legalization is that I don't want my (as yet, non-existent) children to feel that it is something they can do for fun and relaxation. I hope, when I do get around to it, to raise kids who aren't really into drugs at all - or anything else that takes them away from experiencing the power and beauty of life as it really is, not as a drug would make you believe.

+ Reply to Thread