+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Scares You?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default What Scares You?

Is it a particular movie? chapter in a book? part of town you refuse to pass through? or is it something broader like a certain type of home, weather, or person?

Before it was easy to guage what freaked people out by what the most popular scary movie or book was at the time (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Blob, The Exorcist, Serpent & the Rainbow, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining, Carrie, Hellraiser etc.)

But these days scary movies...well they suck. The Japanese still churn out a good scary movie but even those don't pack the punch of horror films of yesteryear. Either scary things today try so hard they miss the point and simply become long winded atmospheric peices or don't try hard enough so that they don't make the under 16 set pee their beds.

I loved watching old 70's horror flicks when I was a kid...scared the ever loving hell out of me in ways that still do if I think on them long enough. I'm sure each of us have something similar...so please share if you can...I'm curious how many of us will have similar fears.

For me it was some horror film about a guy who turns off a main highway and into a foggy road that leads into a town stuck in perpetual twilight. That "blue" light where the sun is down but it's not night yet. The guy gets stuck there and eventually befriends a pretty young gal who tells him how the town has survived through wonderful "boxes" that give them food and clothes.

That pretty much did it for me cause it let to weeks of wondering how many odd lil town existed off highways that used the dead for food and clothing. I'd freak out everytime parents or family members would take an exit I didn't recognize or say we were going to a town I didn't know. I always looked at people wondering if they well...ate people.

I think deep down I still wonder that. It does not scare me as it use too but it does make me uneasy.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What Scares You?

I think it all boils down to a fear of the unknown. 70s horror movies usually involve leaving the environment you are familiar with. You know, as a strange aside, I generally feel very comfortable with *spooky* people. I think what scares me most is what often lies behind the appearance of normality. You go a bit off the beaten track and you become an alien. People's eccentricities make you more uneasy. For a movie to scare me, it would have to be a major psychological thriller: a *mindfuck* if u will. As u mention, gore just becomes campy and trite. A key element to gothic literature is the externalization of the deepest of inner fears. I think a lot of what scares us ultimately lies dormant in all of us.

I guess what scares me most of all is what people are often capable of. Fringe players suddenly become rapists and murderers. Kids get picked on and shoot up a school. Are people what they seem? Or do appearances just mask brutality? Do we control our environment or is it actually controlling us, driving us to some bizarre *fate* we cannot truly escape? These are elements I see inherent in the movies u mention. "All work and no play makes Johnny a dull dull boy". Dracula, the mysterious outsider sucking the blood out of "polite society". Frankenstein as an externalized alter-ego. Serpent and The Rainbow - Unknown forces which ultimately control. The rest are illusions of normality shattered by the events in the story.

All of these things may make us uneasy at a given point of time. I think the only answer is to realize they are elements of our "dark side". Unresolved elements of our past and psyche. By embracing this, the fear may go away.

OEC

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

nothing to fear but fear it'self

Being...alone.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Empty dark hallways always give me the creeps, especially in older buildings.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

President Bush.

darki's Avatar darki must die

Achim Mentzel

La_ExotiQue's Avatar Nigga plz

I tend to laugh at scary movies , i love watching old horror movies for the fact that their special effects include glued on rubber and foil, the cheesier the better!! I love violent , weird movies that make NO sense at all - no movies scare me nor books , only thing that scares me is the dark , monsters ,puppets & the truth. I'm a very paranoid person, but idon't let the media run my life.

what scares me is being alone in my house and being isolated....

dani

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

being paralyzed!!!

Bedlamite

Once again, there is a special scary quality to the woods where Deliverance was filmed. Being alone in these woods is really terrifying at times.

I also have a strange phobia of Zombies. I used to have recurring nightmares about them.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Once again, there is a special scary quality to the woods where Deliverance was filmed. Being alone in these woods is really terrifying at times.

I also have a strange phobia of Zombies. I used to have recurring nightmares about them.

shit those woods are scary...saw that film on tv. again last night.....makes the blair witch project look like the telly tubbies

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    shit those woods are scary...saw that film on tv. again last night.....makes the blair witch project look like the telly tubbies
    It really does. It also dosen't help all the creepy story that people tell you once they warm up. The Cherokee love to take you aside and tell you about their spooky ledgends. Its enough to make me stay in the house.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

tequila zaire scares me.

ha ha only serious

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

TONY FUCKING ROBBINS
    Need I say more?!?!

Bedlamite

Tony Robbins HUNGRY!!!

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

only myself

I_bleed_a_tear's Avatar Junior Member

fear of drowning, and spiders scare me...Being alone in houses that are big old that make noises...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

that white place of nothingness I'd go to when I'd taken way too much acid

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I love Tony Robbins. He amuses me to no end.

OEC

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    Being...alone.
    I'm with you on that...

I'm also scared that....when I try to express myself... I'll be rejected....

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

I am scared of robots, adn the eventualy apocolyps that they will unfurl. Every time I read the news and see the newest in robotic engineering, I get violently paranoid and stay that way until I can think up an effective counter-measure to the new development in robo-evil.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I'm with you on that...

I'm also scared that....when I try to express myself... I'll be rejected....
    *high five*

what scares me is threats or harrassment from people i don't know if there are online or in my city of calgary.......

dani!!!!

+ Reply to Thread