+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Agents, Managers and Lawyers

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Agents, Managers and Lawyers

Have any of you ever had any dealings with the above? I used to date (well, ahem, had sleazy sordid affair with) a very bigtime entertainment biz lawyer, and went to a few parties with certain famous blah blah producers, and my gut instinct is to STAY AWAY FROM THESE SLEAZY PEOPLE.

I mean, I know I should or might be able to get some kind of agent at this point, but I just don't trust any of them....

And then, they always tell you that you "can't" do this.

What do you think of agents?

Default Re: Agents, Managers and Lawyers

Oh god, I posted this in Erotica again. Well if you had been to this party I guess this belongs here....

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Met a few of them dont like them at least they are better than A&R people

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Apparently I've been told I'd make one hell of a lawyer. Too bad I think they're subhuman.

mr_d's Avatar rock star/internet geek
    everywhere and anywhere. I was a nomad till I was old enough to live on my own. I now consider Denver to be my hometown even thought I'm a New Yorker now.

I think at least 80-90% of the people in the entertainment industry are this way.

They really disgust me but what's worse is that I still have to deal with them in order to get ahead.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

If I could find a good agent for photography who understood my stuff, I would happily give them a cut.

I love good lawyers and loathe bad ones. There are people who got into the law because they like misery and want an excuse to yell at people. There are people who got into the law because they like justice and a reason to protect people. A smart lawyer can really help and a dumb one can ruin your existence. My daddy is a lawyer and I have friends who are lawyers, so perhaps I am biased.

But Jennifer, you know you don't have to sleep with the agent, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    If I could find a good agent for photography who understood my stuff, I would happily give them a cut.

I love good lawyers and loathe bad ones. There are people who got into the law because they like misery and want an excuse to yell at people. There are people who got into the law because they like justice and a reason to protect people. A smart lawyer can really help and a dumb one can ruin your existence. My daddy is a lawyer and I have friends who are lawyers, so perhaps I am biased.

But Jennifer, you know you don't have to sleep with the agent, right?
    OH, and thank you for moving the post to the right section! I didn't know that your dad is a lawyer.

I actually like lawyers better than agents or managers. At least they are better at pretending to be nice...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Yup, dad's a lawyer and mom's a diplomat. Now imagine the horror of having to debate people like that if I wanted my curfew a couple hours later.

Yup, dad's a lawyer and mom's a diplomat. Now imagine the horror of having to debate people like that if I wanted my curfew a couple hours later.
    Was it really like that? That's kind of funny really! Are you close with them now?

I swear, I keep trying to get the inspiration to contact some agents or managers or lawyers, but I just don't want to. Maybe I should just go with my gut feeling and just not do it. At least not yet... Lately that seems to be working for me, just kind of going with what feels right.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

My best friend's mom teaches legal studies here. He couldn't argue with her on her worst day.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Actually I have had a near experience of that when iwas small our drive way, which is quite long, was where I did my evil kanievel practice had one rule there was apoint to where I could not go beyond for fear that I way get struck by an motorized vehicle. I decided to abort the rule and found myself being lifted by one hand and seing the bike in the other hand of my mother. Bike privelages were removed till I had it figured out.....(like hell) so I decided to consult my uncle who was a really good lawyer and a kind human being. He told me that I had not much of a chance since mom was the boss. I was bout 4 at the time. My uncle died many years ago from cancer from the cause of way to much drinking and smoking caused by depression of watchin' divorced couples use thier chidlren as pawns and other vile acts of humanity...he wanted to do justice not harm...and often becuas of law he had no choice...

as far as agents lawyers and managers go I would suggest getting some book pertaining to the art and entertainment industry..one thing that is chaning it in the music industry is my space 'cause you by pass all three of the aformentioned parties and get yer music out there. Unfortuneatley for photgraphers and commercial artist the only way to go is copyright....and it costs alot of money....which brings to mind a curiosity. How much Amelia does it cost per picture to copyright a shoot of one of your models? is it done by set or per frame? I just was wondering....

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I also find it absurd to get notice you need an agent....shouldn't your work be able to stand on it's own with out an agent? I mean I dunno how many times I have heard" oh to do a shwo you need an agent who knows his stuff" like WTF ever uh uh I can do the whole buisness end too thankyou very much. I dunno where this whole agent thing came from but I am guessin' from the world of bottom feeder and other sorded perversisties. It's amazing how trhey just appear and thik they know what's best...which I find in most cases they don't.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    OH, and thank you for moving the post to the right section! I didn't know that your dad is a lawyer.

I actually like lawyers better than agents or managers. At least they are better at pretending to be nice...
    1/2 of my family are lawyers. I think it really depends on what type of law they practice. It can be a noble profession or a bunch of shitheads sucking cash out of entertainers.

OEC

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

You are one of the strongest debaters I've seen online (including a number of bigshots in the blogosphere) I don't think it hurt you any I think you probably should get an agent if you continue in this pursuit. If you have prints going for over $1000, both you and Forrest could easily branch out. It's not selling out And no, I don't say that to all the zinesters.

OEC

Bedlamite

It may not be necessary to get an agent or manager, I've known of but now blank on a handful of successful people that have made it without. However, that means you have to learn to be your own agent and manager. Depends on how determined you are to not depend upon other people. However, I think a good lawyer can be really important. There are things that you can do to try and protect yourself, such as retaining power of attorney, and making sure that you are the only one who signs the cheques.

I think you can make it without. At least, I hope you can. Mostly so that I can prove my point that one can become successful on one's own steam.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

yea i lived with my dad for a few years,he was/is, i think he still is,a huge salesmen,the worst scum,he would always use his buisness talking stategies with me,to talk me down and shit,basterd,luckly we didn't see each other much,like once a week until i got the hell! outta there..........

+ Reply to Thread