+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seal Slaughter

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Seal Slaughter

seeing killerkats thread about animal abuse reminded me of something else I found sickening which happened much closer to home recently.

The worst is that nobody helped the police find the people that did it.....no one said a word.

Fishermen blamed for seal pup slaughter
    November 6, 2004
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/Environme...?oneclick=true

About 60 grey seals, most of them pups, have been slaughtered on a western Irish island, wildlife officials reported today.

Activists from a group called the Irish Seal Sanctuary blamed local fishermen for killing the animals because they eat fish. Grey seals are supposed to be a protected species under Ireland's Wildlife Act of 1976.

...the grey seals killed were mostly "whitecoats" - pups about 3 weeks old.

He said the attackers appeared to have used several methods, including gun shots, beating the animals with rocks and driving nails into their skulls. "They ripped some of these seals open from the nape of the neck," he said.

..."The cruel and barbaric slaughter of these seals has a dehumanising effect on society. The sight of seals being bludgeoned to death is repugnant," said Roche, who appealed to the public to tip off police about the people responsible.

Fishermen have been blamed for occasional slaughters of seals on the islands that dot the western and southern coasts of Ireland. Nobody has ever faced charges.

Beginish is part of the Blasket Islands, Ireland's largest haven for grey seals. The Irish Seal Sanctuary estimates that fewer than 400 grey seals live in the islands, down from about 2,000 a half-century ago.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Seal Slaughter

Oh no! Seals eat fish! Heaven forbid they do what they were meant to do!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

greedy basterds,i say if they can swim better than a seal,than they should get there fish,.......BUT they can't there dumb fisherman and for that the seals need to blugin them with all there seal goodness.............

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    greedy basterds,i say if they can swim better than a seal,than they should get there fish,.......BUT they can't there dumb fisherman and for that the seals need to blugin them with all there seal goodness.............

actually me and some friends contemplated getting seal costumes and a couple of baseball bats and hurting those motherfuckers......but its real difficult to get a seal costume over here!

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

wow what emotion! A zest for justice, grab the picthfork were going to town and you my friends can carry some torches were out fer justice with out looking at the real problem. that causes this absurd slaughter. First of I totally agree that what occured was wrong but just like numerous other problems no one looks at the source. Cod Stock are low in Canada as well as in the North east US our fisherman, especially in Canada are suffering becasue of the lack of Cod. In Canada especialy, our governemt is doing little to assist the out of work New Fouland, Nova Scotia and other East coast fisherman. They are frustrated beyond all reproach and I am sure if not deffinet the same is the case in Ireland. It's not the poor seals Fault it's the lack of Governmental and coastal patrols of the oceans. HUGE and I mean FUCKING HUGE factory fishing fleets from Russia and China as well as other European country's litterally net the oceasn empty( killing whales and dolphins and destroying natural habitats for all marine life) leaving the 4th 5th 6th and even 8th generation small catch fisherman poor. So they go out and kill seals. Why? cause they are so poor they have to work and can't afford to go to school so any sense of what is right in wrong is lost in the struggle to mearley survive hand to mouth so they kill baby seals thinking that will stop it. What needs to be done is people need to say to thier governements is the need better control of your National waters. Which in itself is difficult due to INTERNATIONAL AND GLOBAL RELATIONS. Brittania doesn't rule the waves any longer and you cant just sink a Russian factory fish ship for sitting of the Grand Banks in NewFoundlandm Canada, Moors Head in NorthEast Engalnd and The Green Isles' in Ireland. it would cause Major problems....or would it? I wish some politicain would have the ganoughs to let a British or Canadain Destroyer sink one of those bastards I doubt anything would happen and maybe the cod stock would replenish and then maybe they poor fisherman could afford to educate thier kids so they weren't full of anger and ignorance of being so poor cause there was no living to be made of cod. Oh sure I am sure you city folk who never new what it was like to be a 4th or even 8th generation fishing family can not understand what is like, and could easily say "well they could always find another job" it's like telling a lawyer to go flip burgers after being on the bar for 20 odd years. but even worse most of these places don't have many other ways to create income. What needs to be done is a sense of standing up for our fellow citizens who are being made poor by the lack of our governments abilty to make strict regulations of national waters and more conrol and agreement on internationa water laws...OH fien for the poor baby seal for I do too, but FOR SHAME realize the whole picture and the shame of governments not looking out for it's cictzens financial well being as well as our natrual resources.

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

Quote *23: Activists from a group called the Irish Seal Sanctuary blamed local fishermen for killing the animals because they eat fish. Grey seals are supposed to be a protected species under Ireland's Wildlife Act of 1976.
    End Quote

Meaning they have no idea if the Fishermen did anything. The fucktard environmentalists just blame whomever they feel responsible, and they get innocent people killed in their thirst for blood and *coughnazigeneticcleansingcough* "justice." I know a dude back home to brags about kicking puppies to death, and it isn't because he eats dogfood and is worries about not getting enough. He is what we call "possible future convict of America." Now, why wouldn't Ireland have something like that too? Why is it the fishermans' fault? Maybe we should target cripples too? Or how about anyone who's different from us? Maybe we could put them all into camps and burn them in ovens! Yeah, that's the ticket!

It's just going to get worse and worse, as population increases.

We humans need and want more than nature can provide.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

If we really want to tackle these global problems,
    the best answer would be population control.

Then there would be plenty of fish to go around,
    for both us, and the seals...

spdstsposeo's Avatar Member

Yeah, lets blame the seals for trying to survive in what's left of their natural habitat.

what ever happened to an eye for an eye??

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Primarily Norway, Russia and China still engage in these despicable acts. Japan has a penchant for slaughtering dolphins, but I do not believe they poach seals.

For some noble piracy Check out
    http://www.seashepherd.org

OEC

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Primarily Norway, Russia and China still engage in these despicable acts. Japan has a penchant for slaughtering dolphins, but I do not believe they poach seals.

For some noble piracy Check out
    http://www.seashepherd.org

OEC

being a go-uuu-ood pirate, AVAST! i'll sign up

aparently the word good isn't in the pirate vocab. haha.......

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Fully agreed with TheDeathKnight, "If we really want to tackle these global problems,
    the best answer would be population control." and lets give him a rousing cheer.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

While I feel sorry for the seals as a tree hugger. I also believe that these guys should be able to do their job. Ireland isn't exactly the richest nation in Europe. And for a fisherman, it's a survival thing. Their catches determine whether or not they can support their family. Not to mention it's one of the most dangerous jobs anyone can have.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    being a go-uuu-ood pirate, AVAST! i'll sign up

aparently the word good isn't in the pirate vocab. haha.......
    Noble, never good I need to reup my membership come to think of it. Thanks for the reminder.

OEC

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I will miss the seals. (no sarcasim, I really think seals are cool)

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    I also believe that these guys should be able to do their job. Ireland isn't exactly the richest nation in Europe.

actually Ireland is the now the most expensive country in Europe. We are very wealthy thankyou, the days of the potatoe famine are over...

Quote Originally Posted by Mekahoel The Pandafist
    Meaning they have no idea if the Fishermen did anything. The fucktard environmentalists just blame whomever they feel responsible, and they get innocent people killed in their thirst for blood and *coughnazigeneticcleansingcough* "justice." I know a dude back home to brags about kicking puppies to death, and it isn't because he eats dogfood and is worries about not getting enough. He is what we call "possible future convict of America." Now, why wouldn't Ireland have something like that too? Why is it the fishermans' fault? Maybe we should target cripples too? Or how about anyone who's different from us? Maybe we could put them all into camps and burn them in ovens! Yeah, that's the ticket!

actually this happens on a fairly regular basis. there is no question whether or not it was the fisherman who did it. No innocent people were killed, only seals.

Why is what the fishermans's fault? It is there fault for killing 80 or so seal pups in some of the most barbaric and brutal methods possible. These particular fisherman recieve no sympathy on my part anyway.

The real question is: Did they eat the seals?

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    The real question is: Did they eat the seals?

NO....thats the point, some poor fuck was out taking a stroll near the beach and came across a fleshy bloodbath....they just left them there.

It's really a similar reaction that loggers in Northern California had against the anti-logging people. The loggers cut down most of the trees, and so the lumber mills shut down, and they lose their jobs. So rather than blame their own over-logging, they blame the hippie environmentalists who are protesting the logging, and beat them up, etc... They are bitter and unhappy because they lost their jobs, but they have no one to blame but themselves, and their business practices. It is very simple. Cut the trees, plant new ones. Wait 20-30 years for them to grow, and then cut them down again. That is a nice renewable cycle. But we want more than nature can provide. Same with the seals. I'm sure the fish are not as abundant, because of people overfishing them, not because of the seals eating them... Even if you killed all the seals in the world, we would still overfish the oceans, and some fishermen would be out of work, just like the loggers who cut down all the trees. If you cut down all the trees, or catch all the fish, somone is going to be out of work. That's the way it is...

+ Reply to Thread