+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minidisc

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Minidisc

anyone else here a big fan of the minidisc format? i just got a new minidisc player (for free actually which is quite nice) adn i find them much better than Mp3 players not only because they tend to be smaller but also because the sound quality is much better they are also a lot cheaper than i-pods and comperable products what do you guys think

Default Re: Minidisc

i like regular cds...i hate mp3s..they sound so chirpy...but ive never owned/used a minidisc

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I'm a big fan...used them for years due to the price/quality advantages. However I use an iPod now. Mp3's vary in quality and if you encode them properly you get solid sound...it's the same with any audio format. Do the the job right and you get what you're looking for. CD's are great and all for home use but on the road they are just too bulky for me. MD's are great but once you factor in price per gig of an iPod and the amount of music you store on it...it does come out on top...though ironicly you need to buy the 40gig version to see the advantage.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I never liked I-Pods i like the MD because its tiny and you have an unlimited amout of sorage space because you can go buy more MDs and they are really cheap plus they are small and very durable so in my opinion MD still beats I-Pod (plus my MD recorder has a radio with weather and TV band)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I never liked I-Pods i like the MD because its tiny and you have an unlimited amout of sorage space because you can go buy more MDs and they are really cheap plus they are small and very durable so in my opinion MD still beats I-Pod (plus my MD recorder has a radio with weather and TV band)
    iPods aren't exactly all that bulky...damned things barely weigh much. Plus 40gigs of storage is quite a lot when you factor in what you want to put on and the files sizes. Plus it has a lot of great build in software & features (calander, alarm clock, games, backlight, contact list, equalizer, etc.) Navigation is simple as sin...even with thousands of songs. Playlists are easy to do, itunes is smooth and sleek, plus it works without hassle.

MD's are great and I used them since they came out till late last year...but once you start using an iPod there is little reason to go back. As far as radio goes...that would be a nice touch but personally I don't really enjoythat feature on any portable device but that's personal taste. I had a stack of MD's when I would travel and not having to use them is a nice feeling given I can carry around so much more now with none of the hassle. It's one of those things that if you own and use one on a regular basis you really wonder how you lived without it...but if you don't it's no big deal. I know it sounds odd but it's true. It's like any apple product...you don't NEED a Mac but if you have and use one you wonder how ANYONE could live without it.

It's why I love it...it's just a fun peice of technology that really lives up to it's hype and has a personality all its own.

Plus is looks cool.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Mini Disc are awesome especially for saving stuff for computers..theyare super popular in Europe....when it comes to MD and stereo systems eruopes is way ahead of the US and Canada

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    Mini Disc are awesome especially for saving stuff for computers..theyare super popular in Europe....when it comes to MD and stereo systems eruopes is way ahead of the US and Canada
    Yeah that's always been the case...MD's are quite popular there. Not here though...at all. From the day they came out till now they have always been a VERY niche' technology...and are not even used to save info for computers. It's one of these technologies that never found a home here due to the fact it never had a solid use for people. Once CD burners became so cheap it pretty much killed the MD a viable option...Sony recently made an admission that it made a mistake in favoring MD over other technologies like the MP3 and various other forms of compression. The CD was simply too dominant for the MD to make an impact...plus Car Stereo companies didn't really support it here...and no real reason too. The U.S. is the leader in terms of auto sales and those companies are not about to take a chance on screwing up their bottom line in an insanely competative arena...especially with a new format. On the plus side their has been a push for quite a while to place computers in cars specificly to mimic what a PC does in terms of everything from navigation to music...that began in Japan and North America at a pretty early time...as soon as tech junkies saw the potential of the MP3 and similar formats you saw many seeing what they could do with it for their car stereo's.

Add in flash memory sticks similar devices and you have a further deathnail for the MD...it was never popular enough to overtake CD's and never small enough for tech junkies...kind of a shame really. Had Sony listened to many of their engineers about having MD support compression technologies (basicly to get the kind of milage you get out of a MD now) back when it was in it's 2nd and 3rd generation models I think the MD would have been MUCH more popular and dominant. Damned shame really...always felt it was technology with vastly untapped potential.

+ Reply to Thread