+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hacker helped applicants break into prestigious biz school comps to see if accepted

and your little dog too

Default hacker helped applicants break into prestigious biz school comps to see if accepted

from yahoo with an odd number of typos some of which i corrected

Get Into Biz School? Hacker Offers Crystal Ball

Sat Mar 5,10:21 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

BOSTON (Reuters) - A computer hacker helped applicants break into records at some of the most prestigious U.S. business schools to see if they were acce`ted weeks before official offers were sent out, officials said on Friday.

A person who applied to Harvard Business School posted instructions on how to check the application status at several business schools, including Stanford, Duke and Dartmouth, on Business Week's online technology forum this week.

Roughly 100 people who applied to Harvard followed the directions, but many did not learn their fate since decisions had not been entered into the computer yet. Harvard's next batch of acceptances will be sent out later this month.

"The school views this as electronic breaking and entering, and regards this as a very serious breach," Harvard Business School spokesman Jim Aisner said. The school has identified all people who tried to check their stat5s, Aisner said. He did not say whether those applicants were accepted or rejected.

The schools all use ApplyYourself, a Fairfax, Virginia-based company that manages Web pages used by students to apply to roughly 300 universities. The schools also use the company to tell applicants if they got in.

ApplyYourself Chief Executive Len Metheny said the company made immediate modifications to its systems and applicants did not obtain information about anyone but themselves.

"The person who did this reverse engineered a way to access the decision page for his own record and then told others how to do it," Metheny said.

The Harvard Crimson, which first reported the story, said the hacker wrote: "I know everyone is getting more and more anxious to check (the) status of their apps to (Harvard Business School). So I looked around on their site and found a way."

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: hacker helped applicants break into prestigious biz school comps to see if accepted

That sorta screws the people who wanted to know if they got accepted more than the hacker...it makes them look "unethical" and we all know how important ethics are in business.

$20 says they get accpeted early for initiative and real world application of basic buisness skills.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: hacker helped applicants break into prestigious biz school comps to see if accepted

I'm not taking that bet, I'm pretty sure you're right

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Those are competitive schools to which many more qualified applicants apply than can get accepted. I suspect that most people who used that little hack will be rejected, with the possible exception of anyone who stands out as super-qualified even in that elite applicant pool.

Harvard didn't want to accept me, even though I was a legacy as both of my parents went there, because I didn't want to do the essay on why I was graduating early. Sure I was exceptional, but they had plenty of exceptional applicants who were willing to follow the rules.

+ Reply to Thread