+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lestat: The Musical!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Lestat: The Musical!

So, anyone excited about it? I'm on the west coast so I know I won't see it and it's hard for me to get excited about Broadway...but it's an interesting idea...fitting really.

Skavian's Avatar Member

Default Re: Lestat: The Musical!

I never liked Lestat. I can't get excited over that because I liked Louis more.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I have this nagging feeling that a lestat musical would suck

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Not a fan in anyway, so not looking forward to it myself.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I have this nagging feeling that a lestat musical would suck
    It should be out late this year from what I'm hearing...it has some serious talent behind it...so it could turn out quite good. It's being put together by Elton John and his long-time lyricist Bernie Taupin. They've pulled off some amazing productions in past years and it has Anne Rice's support.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    It should be out late this year from what I'm hearing...it has some serious talent behind it...so it could turn out quite good. It's being put together by Elton John and his long-time lyricist Bernie Taupin. They've pulled off some amazing productions in past years and it has Anne Rice's support.
    OK reading Elton Johns name attached to something like that makes even worse i mean im sorry but that idea just seems doomed to be horrible i hate most of the musicals they have been coming out with lately

Hula Hoop Supervisor

OK reading Elton Johns name attached to something like that makes even worse i mean im sorry but that idea just seems doomed to be horrible i hate most of the musicals they have been coming out with lately
    Well think about it really...who would understand Lestat more than a guy like Elton John? Or really anyone of that sort of lifestyle...Lestat is not exactly an everyman...even when he was human he wasn't human.

It's the only thing that has me feeling it's in good hands cause look what happened to The Queen of The Damned...they went all cliche goth and it was a fucking disaster. I had to walk out of the screening cause the opening was so horrendous I couldn't stop laughing...it got worse from then on.

The more I read about it the more I see how it can work much better than a film.

Bedlamite

I can see it being entertaining, like Hedwig and the Angry Inch meets Dracula 2000....Hee....it tickles me....

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I can see it being entertaining, like Hedwig and the Angry Inch meets Dracula 2000....Hee....it tickles me....
    I can't see this as good, not if it becomes another queen of the damned fieasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Well think about it really...who would understand Lestat more than a guy like Elton John? Or really anyone of that sort of lifestyle...Lestat is not exactly an everyman...even when he was human he wasn't human.

It's the only thing that has me feeling it's in good hands cause look what happened to The Queen of The Damned...they went all cliche goth and it was a fucking disaster. I had to walk out of the screening cause the opening was so horrendous I couldn't stop laughing...it got worse from then on.

The more I read about it the more I see how it can work much better than a film.
    What I liked about that Movie: Outfits, and the Actresses, except for Aleah(Spelling)

What I hated about the Movie: Almost all the other stuff. **

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    What I liked about that Movie: Outfits, and the Actresses, except for Aleah(Spelling)

What I hated about the Movie: Almost all the other stuff. **
    Yeah exacly i want them to make a movie of the second book although that would be difficult seeing as that queen of the damned(movie) contradicts alot of the stuff in the book but the vampire lestat would make a great 3 hour epic movie i think and they need to get tom cruise to play Lestat again

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

exactly... love lestat...but elton john and dark?...seems like oil and water..

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    exactly... love lestat...but elton john and dark?...seems like oil and water..
    That's the thing...Lestat was never all that "dark" when you think about it...he became the extreme example of arrogance, rock star attitude taken to the extreme, and lived an almost unreal life...

You take a guy like Elton John who...lets face it has had a "colorful" life to say the least...and you at least have the story in the hands of people who understand it. I mean the guy gave rembrandt's as gifts...so at least the excesses in the Lestat story will be done justice. Plus at the end of the day it's not so much him as it is the group of people he works with...they laughed at the idea of The Lion King as a musical...that did "pretty good" on all fronts. Honestly can't think of anyone else who would do it justice as a musical...

As a film...well the list would be near endless but few actors can pull off the role without it being a cartoon...like that fuckwit in Queen of the Damned.

i think andrew lloyd webber could do a better job

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by Skavian
    I never liked Lestat. I can't get excited over that because I liked Louis more.
    me too, i always thought lestat was a bit more of a brut, than a smooth,more difined character......

Hula Hoop Supervisor

i think andrew lloyd webber could do a better job
    I dunno...for every project that name has been attached to their are a few that still make me cringe...like Cats, Evita, and Starlight Express...It'd probably go too extreme with the material and turn it into some over the top showcase that would bee TOO much like an expected Broadway show. I just like how surprised I was with how The Lion King turned out even from just an artistic standpoint...having that sort of team and enviornment for Lestat could prove interesting. Though The Lion King had an AMAZING director...and she would be my first choice to bring the Anne Rice vampire stories to the screen after her Film work has proven just as intense and amazing....Frida was prime example of that.

I just think Webber would be much better and pulling of the dark elements of course some of the novels about Lestat are darker than others so that would also come into play if they are doing the nove The Vampire Lestat that is the darkest and i dot hink elton john could nessecarily pull that of

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Oh my god, this seems like retardation waiting to happen.

poison's Avatar Senior Member

methinks that lestat needs another chance to shine after Q.O.T.D...hopefully the musical will be good and will show exactly how crap the film was! when i actually watched the film i just couldn't believe how much the director had chosen to ignore..i mean, Q.O.T.D without mekare? she's the heroine....

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I just think Webber would be much better and pulling of the dark elements of course some of the novels about Lestat are darker than others so that would also come into play if they are doing the nove The Vampire Lestat that is the darkest and i dot hink elton john could nessecarily pull that of
    Well it's not like he's doing it alone...just one part of the overall production effort...guess it's just me but I never say the book as all that dark...wouldn't say it was light hearted by any means...just never felt it was dark...it just felt right. Like it made sense and it just couldn't be any other way.

Is there a link for this? I'd like to check this out further if possible.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    Is there a link for this? I'd like to check this out further if possible.
    Just google it...information has been floating around about it since 2003 it seems...barely heard about it this weekend (I don't follow broadway all that close)

My goodness...that long! I apologise, silly me. I'll go do that.

ok i read on some site that they plan to incorporate the first three novels into one musical i think that is way to much stuff to put into one show and will most likely make it a mediocre show at best

Hula Hoop Supervisor

ok i read on some site that they plan to incorporate the first three novels into one musical i think that is way to much stuff to put into one show and will most likely make it a mediocre show at best
    You never know how final plans work out...plus you gotta remember broadway shows can get pretty lengthy...it wouldn't be odd to make Lestat the focus...take the best of the series he was directly part of and make a tale from that...It's all about the execution of the idea...not the idea itself. We've all seen good ideas fucked up and bad ideas made brilliant.

true but since lestat is the primary focus of all the novels especially the second two that would mean a lot of stuff would be cut and im a huge fan of the book i think a musical of the second book would work well f properly executed but with all three they would just be working with way to much material which can kill adaptations almost completely

+ Reply to Thread