+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Get off my 'Hawk!!

Default Get off my 'Hawk!!

Ok, I know this is my first post and all so I'm walking on murky waters but I've been reading these forms for a long time and i feel that there is something i want to rant about.

Punk is cool. I love punk music, clothing, style, asthetics, all of it. But lately an uninvited friend has moved in to town. His name? Emo. Emo, is getting WAY too big. A few years ago it was all just something you made fun of someone for admitting to. Now its HUGE! And my least favorite part? Most of these Emo kids think they're punk. And trust me they're kids, if they're not then something is wrong with them. I'll say straight up I'm too young to go to the club I called my favorite in my profile but i wish people would stop conforming to the new "nonconformist" ways. Now...I dont consider myself punk at all. I'm more in the cyber/industrial/rivet category but i do however have a mohawk not one of these big punk mohawks but a wide shorter mohawk that fades out in the back and is what i call "The Cyberhawk." I dont know where i'm going with this but today i saw some Emo kid with his mohawk, and I just wish this whole thing would pass. I apologize if I've offended anyone for bashing Emo, some Emo kids are cooler than the music they listen to and the style they choose. I just needed to get it off my chest to some of the counter-culture. I wanna know what you think...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Get off my 'Hawk!!

i hate emo sepecially the super whiny variety where they try to dress like goths. That pisses me off to no end.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

All I can say is this.... if you love punk then your ok. Anyone you don't like, kick them.. it's the punk thing to do.

Oh !! and Welcome to the BBB.....just don't scuff my Corcorans.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

punk is just a shallow marketing tool. you need to get over yourself. if you think there is a difference between kids that shop at the mall that wear mohawks and kids that shop at the mall that wear plastic framed glasses, there's not.

sorry for that rude awakening, but sheesh. people should just be themselves and do shit because they like it not because they must fit into categories A, B or C.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    ... people should just be themselves and do shit because they like it not because they must fit into categories A, B or C.
    That's why I hang in D. "D is for lots of things."

...if you think there is a difference between kids that shop at the mall that wear mohawks and kids that shop at the mall that wear plastic framed glasses, there's not.
    What's with you and Malls? You bring them up as though it's the center of all society. They are our modern day "market square". The young hang out, the old walk about, and those in between buy pants, pretzels, and pretty things in pink. It's mainly for women and the under 18 set anyhow...or a place to work in retail if that's ones ambition.

punk is just a shallow marketing tool.
    Anything can be a marketing tool. You say it as though it's a bad thing. It's more than just a certain style of clothes or even music...it's an attitude that you can either take in large doses or small. Things change from their intitial inception...nothing stands around staying the same in any culture or sub culture. If punk stayed as it was in the 70's it'd simply be campy and silly...each generation adds to it, re-defines it, and then moves on leaving what's left for those still in diapers.

All while those getting on in years act like bitter old men how it was much more "pure" and "hardcore". Memories can make one quite dillusional. Add in a bit of sentimentality and elitism and you have the vision of something that never really existed as one likes to remember them.

Punk is alive and well for those who wish to live with it...for those who want to dismiss it and see it as another abused and mainstream profit making device...well...does it matter? Those enjoying it will continue too and those who do not don't really much care since it won't appeal to them anyhow.

It's like the original post complaining about Emo...if it does not appeal to you then move on and enjoy what it is holds your interest. Truth of the matter is anyone can be a mind numbing bore when they define themselves by their scene. Emo may be the current big trend but each has had its day and move on...Emo is just grunge with cleaner clothes, safer bands, and radio friendly tunes. Grunge was simply punk drenched with seattle water and sound that lasted for far less time than its credited with and birthed the terms "Alternative" that applied to SO MANY genres and styles it was head spinning. Punk was just (Fill in the blank). It's all fun none the less.

Besides...who defines themselves by one style of music or scene anymore? That's like a one trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Emo is just grunge with cleaner clothes, safer bands, and radio friendly tunes. Grunge was simply punk drenched with seattle water and sound that lasted for far less time than its credited with and birthed the terms "Alternative" that applied to SO MANY genres and styles it was head spinning. Punk was just (Fill in the blank). It's all fun none the less.
    Thats good shit right there. I guess you're right. I prolly just take my life too seriously. I still hate those emo kids tho. I'm seriously waiting for the next big fad to come...so i can piss on that too....

I don't know what the discrepancy is here TZ, since I agree with everything that you said, and that was exactly what my intention was.
    but to answer your question about my fixation with malls... you said it yourself that they are our market square. to argue that they are not the center of our society you may need to consider the very nature of our society. the fact is that commerce is the center of our society and large scale urban shopping centers are the personification of capitalism and our societies values (in more ways then one. even the term "value" itself has come to mean a good deal on a piece of merchandise) . as to whether or not I think this is a good thing, well that would require a lenghthier discussion about economics which isn't really the topic here. but I will say that I do find it lacking as a cultural representitive because it is whitewashed and superficial and may to some be an ideal, but to me I think it undermines our true culture. for instance it is a place of very much work, but your don't see the work that goes on behind the scenes. it wants to project everything as flawless and autonomous, and hides the fact that work is indeed hard and not always pretty, but to me that's what makes it more rewarding, and I think that's what the mall culture is lacking.

Welcome, and don't be afraid to start more threads. We love conversation around here.

Anyway, Emo-schemo. Who cares? I listen to a wiiiiide variety of music. Anything from opera/classical to punk, industrial, alternative (loose term, there), gothic, and so forth. Hell, I even like a few 80's songs. Wanna know how I dress? Comfortably. T-shirt and jeans, that's how I am. When I'm able to, I like to dress up in costumes and wreak havoc at Denny's, but it makes me no more different than anyone else, no matter what music I listen to.

Also, when I say "t-shirt and jeans", I mean "black and deadly + katana". So...yeah.

Welcome TheLegionnaire.

Emo. Kids today.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

to argue that they are not the center of our society you may need to consider the very nature of our society. the fact is that commerce is the center of our society and large scale urban shopping centers are the personification of capitalism and our societies values (in more ways then one. even the term "value" itself has come to mean a good deal on a piece of merchandise) .
    Totally wrong. Everyone knows the center of our society is the Television. That lil box of light and moving pictures is our mother, father, and lover. I think I'll go kiss it right now.

EDIT: Never kiss a TV with wet lips. All I will say is...OWWWWWWW!

Thats exactly how I feel, watch, emo will be gone when the tv/mall says something different is cool. Tv is the key tho, the mall follows that, not the other way around. ever since good charolette brought goth/punk onto mtv everything has gone to shit. it wasnt the first thing on mtv to be goth/punk but watered down enough for the masses. fucking people......

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

What the fuck is Emo exactly?

Best answers I've gotten are greasy boys in ugly sweaters. But that could apply to anything really.

As for mohawks I think the people those are most fabulous on are chubby babies. But that's just me.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I miss the days when industrial and metal were the top shit on the radios. emo sounds like a flashback of the 80's crap they played in rbeakfast at tiffanys and cheap preppy teen flicks. Mohawks are cool. i used to ahve one before I started going all chrome domed whats funny is people used to call me a skin head even back then. lol
    welcome to the bloods.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Hula Hoop Supervisor

You gotta admit it's pretty fucking funny when metal junkies tell emo junkies to cut their hair.

lol I shaved my hawk off cuz I used to bic it and would end up taking chunks of it out in the back. it was around seven to eight inches erect but so thin (first time having one) that i had toa ctually go out and buy tresseme mousse to fly it high which didnt work cuz I worked as an emergency road service op. at the time and had to wear a head set.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack

that's fucking awesome.....

but then again i still got my long "metal locks".....so i quess i can't talk .....

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    that's fucking awesome.....

but then again i still got my long "metal locks".....so i quess i can't talk .....
    I am with you MIND YOU having just got in from two hours of football(it isn't played with a sock people!) I AM SO TEMPTED TO HACK IT OFF!

Bath time as I am way too hot and sweaty and my dog looks worried!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by darknessfalls
    Bath time as I am way too hot and sweaty and my dog looks worried!

yeaaa,i kinda got outta that habit,i pull it up when i take a shower....

BUT in my defence,it smells fine,it's clean(kinda),& it not greasy....

maybe i'll get my dreads back with out knowing ..........

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Thanks for one of the best laughs I've had in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    yeaaa,i kinda got outta that habit,i pull it up when i take a shower....

BUT in my defence,it smells fine,it's clean(kinda),& it not greasy....

maybe i'll get my dreads back with out knowing ..........
    thats the benefit of having a shaved head. sopa and water every other day and youre 8X10 baby!

and your little dog too

i hate emo so much.

+ Reply to Thread