+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Devils Rejects

SerialLover's Avatar Member

Default Devils Rejects

Anyone else besides me looking forward to the upcoming sequal to Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses?

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: Devils Rejects

me me me.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

not really - i didn't think house of a thousand corpses was that great

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i like house of 1000 corpses ok (even though it was a blatant Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoff) i didnt know this was a sequel it looked tottaly different but ill probably see it

ok upon reading the plot synopsis of this film it looks like an even more blatant ripoff of TCM 2 with revenge crazed brother and the abandoned amusement park

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

tcm2?.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

oohhh,yea hyat sucked,i coun't even watch teh whole thign....

I liked it i mean it wasnt as good as the first one but it had some really good over the top gore courtesy of Tom Savini at the end which awas fucking awesome

you know what pises me of,that new land of the adead....

what was goerge thinking....man...shitty....

and i love fuking Zombies....

Land of the Dead can be summed up like this.....

Take Night of the Living Dead and Helen Kellers:The Miracle Worker
    toss them into a blender and you have Land of the Dead...
    STUPID....Thats all I could say about that movie...

I love Romero's movies but that one stunk...I laughed damn near the whole movie long....The one black zombie who learned reminded me of Annie Sullivan in the Miracle Worker...
    Total Dissapointment

im working on getting my preveiw @ midnight of the 21st in a private showing... hopefully, well see but im in chicago

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

<--------------desperate for a good movie

Yeah, I was good with "House of 1000 Corpses" for about the first half hour. That was brilliant. Then, it just kept getting more and more ridiculous, until they were finally battling with a subterranean nazi robot doctor. WTF.

Hopefully this movie will make up for the last one.

I liked House of 1000 Corpses. I didn't go into it thinking it was going to be this monumental piece of cinematography either.
    The scene where that pig get blown away was the most memorable for me. I'm stoked for Devils Rejects the previews looked cool. I hope it's a gory blood-bath.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

it's a way to kill time but i doubt i'd watch the movie more than once.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

ive been waiting for that movie since i saw the first one. fyi: otis is so fine.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know if it's amusing or just stupid that the whole time even before the movie was made rob zombie always said the entire point House of a thousand corpses was a homage to 70's horror movies... that being said, the majority of the critizism was 'the special fx sucked', ' it looked too much like a movie from the 70's', 'it was a rip off (insert movie from the 70's here)'

ps. why is it that rob zombie is the only one that get's critized for making a ridiculous horror movie? have you ever seen a horror movie before? there was about 2 that were intellectual, masterpeices of writing. so why is it that people will glady watch 150 movies about serial killers that return from the dead over and over again but it's suddenly low brow when zombie does it?

It wasn't that it was hat-tipping, it's that it didn't seem to have a fixed context. For instance, in a Halloween or Friday the 13th sequel, you more or less know what the characters are about. Sure, they might get a little tougher over time, but Jason doesn't spontaneously turn into a dragon and summon an army of skeletons, either.

In House of 1000 Corpses, you had a scenario that looked like it was about a murderous TCM kinda family, and then it expanded without warning into nazi cyberzombie experiments.

Sometimes the "WTF, mang" plot can work; From Dusk 'Til Dawn pulled it off nicely. In this case, it wasn't developed very well once they trotted it out, and it just seemed like they were throwing out any old thing to try to add spice to it all.

Absurdity does not necessarily equal art.

i think your putting to much thought into comparing house of 1000 to other movies... i watched it to watch a rob zombie movie, not a horror movie or anything... a rob zombie movie... if you liked it cool... if not hey everyone has thier oponion but all in all its still a rob zombie movie cult classic... if you compare it to TCM thats rediculous because for one its different all around the charecters have more detail in there lives then TCM... and if you know anything about TCM it its self is a rip off of the story of Ed Gein of Wisconsin... so my point is just watch it to watch it, dont sit and over impose the movie because then why watch it... everything has been done, origional concepts are far and long to find and get everything can be thought as stolen of impressed upon some were along the lines... just watch it for what it is...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I think he was just trying to cram as much wild and crazy horror into his movie as possible.

It was a homage to too many horror movies, instead of doing something new, or sticking to a set formula. I think he would have been better off to just do the first movie about the sick family of murderers, and then go on to explore more of what lies beneath, in the second movie... But instead, he tried to cram it all into one movie, and it became overdone.

But realistically, if you saw that movie back in the 80's when you were young, you probably would have thought it was pretty cool. We are just jaded by having seen so many of those kinds of movies already... So it seems like we've seen it all before...

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    It wasn't that it was hat-tipping, it's that it didn't seem to have a fixed context. For instance, in a Halloween or Friday the 13th sequel, you more or less know what the characters are about. Sure, they might get a little tougher over time, but Jason doesn't spontaneously turn into a dragon and summon an army of skeletons, either.

In House of 1000 Corpses, you had a scenario that looked like it was about a murderous TCM kinda family, and then it expanded without warning into nazi cyberzombie experiments.

Sometimes the "WTF, mang" plot can work; From Dusk 'Til Dawn pulled it off nicely. In this case, it wasn't developed very well once they trotted it out, and it just seemed like they were throwing out any old thing to try to add spice to it all.

Absurdity does not necessarily equal art.
    sorry to spoil it if you haven't seen the movie.. but yeah, here's the deal. it's really not that complicated. there's the family of crazy hillbilly murderors: grandpa, the dad, Earl AKA the professor,the mom, and the kids, Baby and Tiny. then there is Otis who it never really reveals what his relationship to the family is. Underneath the house is where the professor ( the guy in the gas mask) and Dr. Satan the evil serial killer perform gruesome experiments on poor victims. Originally it was meant to be that grandma was actually Dr. Satan and there's clues in the movie that seem to point to that, but for several reasons toward the end of filming rob zombie decided to make him a differnt character. Since they talk about Dr. Satan throughout the whole entire movie, it shouldn't come as a surprise when he shows up at the end. oh yeah and as far as the character of Captain Spalding goes, it's pretty obvious what he's all about.

I was able to ascertain all of this from watching one interview with rob zombie about the movie and watching the actual movie twice. it's not that hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    I think he was just trying to cram as much wild and crazy horror into his movie as possible.
    he kind of had to, for one it took him like years to sell the script and once it started to get made it was way underbudget and they pretty much ran out of money halfway through filming. most of the scenes were filmed on a single take, as well as locations and sets that were built by zombie himself and the other actors without the assistance of real techs and studeo equipment.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

This was one of the worst movies Ive ever seen. We had a preview a month or so ago.
    THeres a cop that really ruins the whole movie. And who the kids father is should have been mentioned in the first film. It seems they threw him in real quick as the dad to have an excuse to make a sequel staring those characters.
    Thumbs down.
    Rob Zombies wife being as hot as she is still doesnt make up for the rest.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

I would love to see it on the 22nd when it's released but, Rob Zombie is playing here that day and I happen to be going to that show instead...

I had no problem House of 1000 corpses and i liked it but it just had too much excessive crap that shouldnt have been there (like those shots of the naked chick and Baby inserted at random points in the movie) Zombie had a chance to something creative with the film and had a decent concept (even though it is an exact carbon copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre) but he ruined it with a bunch of tottaly pointless shit that i guess was supposed to be artistic or something but i didnt buy it even though i did enjoy the movie somewhat it lacked creativity big time. (and like i said earlier the concept for the second one seems eerily identical to the one used in TCM 2)

I haven't seen Rejects, but I thought Corpses was pretty horrid. I didn't know what to expect, i had no real preconceptions, but I really disliked it. The acting was horrid, and it was overall premature. That said, the cinematography was quite nice at points, and there were a few nice scenes.

I'll probably see Rejects, if only because it has the dude fron the hills have eyes.

I loved house of 1000 corpses. After seeing it, I got the dvd asap. Watched it well over 100 times. Some horror movie fans I know say it is to much to TCM. That doesn't bother me. I liked that as well. It's great to see a film that goes back to the origional ideas. Please list any modern popular horror flicks that even compare. What, Scream? The Ring? etc......
    My friends and I cannot wait to see the devils rejects. We will be there opening day.
    Rob Zombie to us at least, brought back the art in horror filmmaking.

I can name two modern horror flicks that came out the same year that kicked corpses ass and were far more in touch with the essence and aesthetic of the classics; May and Cabin Fever.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

you all seem to be taking rob zombie far to seriously and critially ive never seen the film (so i cant really comment) but ive seen clips off it and i think that it was exactly what should be expected after listenning to his music and i mean this as nicely as possible because i like his music but isnt alot of his music is based on or inspired by over the top and cliched horror films its blatently what he likes and so given the chance to make a film isnt that the type of film he would make? besides if it was based on 70's horror films most 70's horror flicks also laughable

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I was able to ascertain all of this from watching one interview with rob zombie about the movie and watching the actual movie twice. it's not that hard to follow.
    I didn't say it was hard to follow, I said that it didn't really have a fixed context. Maybe I need to explain that more clearly. I'll use a hypothetical situation.

Say you're watching a realistic drama about a guy suffering from lung cancer, who's coming to terms with the end of his life. You know, typical film critic masturbation fodder. Throughout the movie, it's all about him having realizations, reforging connections with loved ones, dealing with the physical pain, etc. There's nonstop character development.

Then, twenty minutes from the end of the movie, Predators attack the hospital with shoulder lasers, and they have to evacuate him in a panic. Batman arrives and starts fighting them.

While I might find this amusing, it doesn't make for good cinema, and it kinda pisses all over the previous vibe.

That's what I am saying happened with House of 1000 Corpses. Sure, I understand that the ancient Dr. Satan had a laboratory under the house, conducting some sort of bizarre experiments with oddly-sophisticated cybergear, but it didn't really fit the idiom any more than it would have if there'd been a maze filled with D&D monsters under the house.

It was a cinematographic non sequitur, and as a result, the whole thing seemed more like a music video than a movie with a supposed plot.

Quote Originally Posted by royceicon
    I can name two modern horror flicks that came out the same year that kicked corpses ass and were far more in touch with the essence and aesthetic of the classics; May and Cabin Fever.
    The ending to Cabin Fever was one of the most unexpected things I've ever seen in a movie. However, unlike Ho1000C, it didn't piss me off. In fact, it made the movie far more memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie
    ive never seen the film (so i cant really comment) but ive seen clips off it and i think that it was exactly what should be expected after listenning to his music
    Yeah, you've got it...that's what it was; clips that would make a good video.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie
    besides if it was based on 70's horror films most 70's horror flicks also laughable
    Now they are, sure. We're so used to incredible FX, high film quality, etc. At the time, they scared people.

Just got back. Im sure there will be haters here but I loved it.
    It was hard to watch in some parts but still great. Dare I say better than the first in which I loved.

+ Reply to Thread