+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cia and the irish

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Default cia and the irish

what the fuck is the irish government doing!!!!

link

21/07/05
    Treaty gives CIA powers over Irish citizens
    By Dan Buckley

US INVESTIGATORS, including CIA agents, will be allowed interrogate Irish citizens on Irish soil in total secrecy, under an agreement signed between Ireland and the US last week.

Suspects will also have to give testimony and allow property to be searched and seized even if what the suspect is accused of is not a crime in Ireland.

Under 'instruments of agreement' signed last week by Justice Minister Michael McDowell, Ireland and the US pledged mutual co-operation in the investigation of criminal activity. It is primarily designed to assist America's so-called 'war on terror' in the wake of the September 11 atrocities.

The deal was condemned yesterday by the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) as "an appalling signal of how the rights of Irish citizens are considered by the minister when engaging in international relations". The ICCL said it appeared to go far beyond even what has been agreed between EU countries.

On signing the agreement, the minister said that "the international community must do everything it can to combat terrorism with every means at its disposal.

"Ireland will not be found wanting," he added.

The treaty will give effect to agreements on Mutual Legal Assistance and Extradition signed by the EU and the US in June 2003. These are aimed at building on mutual assistance and extradition arrangements.

Although the Department of Justice insists that the arrangement merely updates existing agreements, it goes much further. The US may ask Irish authorities:

To track down people in Ireland.

Transfer prisoners in Irish custody to the US.

Carry out searches and seize evidence on behalf of the US Government.

It also allows US authorities access to an Irish suspect's confidential bank information. The Irish authorities must keep all these activities secret if asked to do so by the US.

The person who will request co-operation is US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, the man who, as White House counsel, instigated the notorious 'torture memo' to US President George W Bush which advised how far CIA agents could go in torturing prisoners. The person to whom the request is sent is the Minister for Justice.

About 20,000 immigrants, who have not been charged with any crime, are currently in prison in the US. In two recent US Supreme Court cases, the US Government argued that US citizens could be imprisoned indefinitely without charge if the president designated them as "enemy combatants".

ICCL director Aisling Reidy said: "An extraordinary aspect to this treaty is, despite its scope and its potential to violate basic constitutional and human rights, that all this happened without debate or transparency.

"To agree to give such powers to a government which has allowed detention of its own citizens without access to a lawyer for over a year, which has legitimised Guantanamo Bay and the interrogation techniques there, without public debate, is an appalling signal of how highly or not the rights of Irish citizens are considered by the minister when engaging in international relations."

The Department of Justice said it was wrong to say the treaty happened without debate, as the agreements update and supplement existing arrangements, and the EU-US agreement has been scrutinised by the Oireachtas four times since December 2002.

A spokesperson also rejected that the measures go beyond what was agreed between EU countries.

Legislation will be required to give effect to some elements of the Mutual Legal Assistance Instrument. The necessary provisions will be contained in the Criminal Justice (Mutual Assistance) Bill which Mr McDowell expects to publish shortly.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: cia and the irish

Wonder if it allows Ireland to oh say "interrogate" U.S. Citizens which for generations funded the I.R.A and it's many splinter groups...some that would be seen as clearly "terrorists organizations" today.

Sucks to be Irish it seems...now you have the oh so fun C.I.A to deal with. As bad as this does sound it's not all that uncommon for foreign governments to broker such deals be it oh so publicly as in this case or secretly as in the snaful that took place in Italy not to far back.

Still it IS rather odd given what a mess such situations cause...no one wants to be under the thumb of a foreign power or their many organizations. I don't get how this passed though...you'd think the Irish people would be more pissed about it...protests in the streets and what have you. Then again I'll readily admit the goings on in Ireland these days don't really rank high on my need to know list.

Kinda curious why Ireland of all places? Maybe it's a global plan by the C.I.A to broker deals with other nations as well? Kinda lazy...what happened to good ole kidnappings? I mean come on...gotta live up the cloak and dagger past or what fun are they?

Looks like Ireland will be full of spooks soon...well...more so than usual anyhow.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I just like how the supreme court "interprets" the sixth constitutional amendment that says "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial" as meaning "US citizens could be imprisoned indefinitely without charge."

and since when does the president have supreme power over the entire U.S (not to mention, apparently foreign) government? I'm pretty sure that's why they made three distinct branches of power. It's just fucking amazing that those bastards have been able to turn a democracy into a system where you get to vote for two people who are exactly the same, and then the winner get's to become the despotic ruler because he appoints people that agree with everything he says to all the other positions of power in the government.

It defeats the entire point of a party system when everyone in the government belongs to the same party.

exile

hey,
    i posted here for a while as 23*, dunno if anyone remembers but i've been reading the boards here again recently and it feels a little, um... different; lots of new faces. Not a bad thing i guess. But it sucks that i forgot the mail address that I registered with originally and now have to start all over.

yeh so i guess i know a little about this. There was no referendum, things like this are always pushed under the carpet here but it has been given very negative publicity by the newspapers.

Bertie A’Hern, the Taoiseach (Irish prime Minister) likes to lick Bush's balls. When basically everyone in ireland protested at the governments decision to let american troops on route to iraq refuel and land in Shannon airport here, the government completely ignored the protests, petitions and our neutral status ... so an air of complacency has developed. Successive irish governments have always sat at the feet of American ones despite the distinct (and maybe misplaced) nationalism of the people on the ground.

something amusing; i was walking through a shopping centre a few days ago in the city centre and i found that they were selling padlocks for suitcases which could be opened by american security personal...yes apparently this is not only normal now but also desirable...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hey welcome back 23

exile

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    hey welcome back 23
    cheers. nice to see a familiar face.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire centauri
    cheers. nice to see a familiar face.
    I can look up your old info if you want to continue with that ID. Just let me know.

exile

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I can look up your old info if you want to continue with that ID. Just let me know.

i'd like it a lot. thanks. but apparantly private messenging is unavailable?

i'd like it a lot. thanks. but apparantly private messenging is unavailable?
    Yeah, welcome back!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i thought you were 23*....

hey bud...how'd the "experiments" go,wink,lsd,wink....

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

It could possibly be a way for the British to get a hand on people it can't touch unless they're in Belfast. Since there was that deal a couple years ago with the British for the same thing.

exile

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    Yeah, welcome back!
    hey cheinara.
    hows the house coming along?
    i'm back to bolster the pirate forces...

exile

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    i thought you were 23*....

hey bud...how'd the "experiments" go,wink,lsd,wink....
    hey man, good to see you again.

drinking more than tripping these days; no acid on this side of town...

madness...

evilassmaster's Avatar Exiled
    Brunswick, Maine... the other white bread

the only reason american news is covering IRA news is because a third of north-americans are convinced that they're irish and will look at anything green, listen to anything celtic and watch anything about ireland as if it's the only shred of heritage that they had.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Man, and to think all this time it's been Ireland who was gonna be the fifty first state, not Canada....weird.

hey cheinara.
    hows the house coming along?
    i'm back to bolster the pirate forces...
    House is doing good, everything's painted, set up, and decorated. Still a few things here and there (ie., tiling, putting in appliances), but besides that..

And the ninjas laugh at you! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by evilassmaster
    the only reason american news is covering IRA news is because a third of north-americans are convinced that they're irish and will look at anything green, listen to anything celtic and watch anything about ireland as if it's the only shred of heritage that they had.
    I'm scots/irish. Lemme guess, you're only american!

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    I'm scots/irish
    I had no idea virginia was in both ireland AND scotland.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I had no idea someone's head could fit so far up his ass....

Hula Hoop Supervisor

The fuck are you on about?

Seriously, where do you get this nonsense?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I had no idea someone's head could fit so far up his ass....
    ATTN: Cheap Shot About To Occur!

Well...he IS in France.

ATTN: Cheap Shot Over!

HA! You do pay attention. I'm not from Virginia. I'm from Arkansas. Yes, it's not much better, but I love Arkansas. It's pretty. That being said, I've come from a very Scots/Irish line. I don't mind living here, and I don't have a problem with America. I have a problem with assholes who take potshots at everything anyone else says. Yes, you're different, just like everyone else.

this thread is boring

+ Reply to Thread