+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arch Enemy :: Doomsday Machine :: Cd Review

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Arch Enemy :: Doomsday Machine :: Cd Review

Released exactly one week ago, Arch Enemy's follow up to the critically acclaimed Anthems of Rebellion, Doomsday Machine is really great. The sound of the band - i'm talking about the guitars - has changed dramatically because Mike Amott switched from Peavey 5150 Head and Amp to a Krank Amp setup. His playing style has changed a bit, he's introduced us to his "lighter side" with the clean channel. While Mr. Christopher Amott, has not changed amps, and his playing style has stayed the same, for the most part. But all of that is good, because Chris is an amazing guitarist. So yeah, let me get on to my rating.

Vocals :: Angela has a somewhat mechanic/robotic sound to her this time around, but once you listen to this CD a couple of times, you'll get use to it, as it fits in well with the overall sound of the CD. 4/5

Guitars :: A bit heavier, and a bit mellower. Theres some amazing mini-solos on here, but both the amott brothers failed to put a solo on the CD. The playing seems to be not as technical as before, but its still great. 3.75/5

Bass :: Thank god for my subwoofer, or I would be unaware there is a bassist in the band. I'm dissappointed in the producers choice to mix the Bass so low. I believe the Bass and Drum is the heart and soul of any band, and if you don't have a good bassist, or drummer, you're fucked. Anyways, AE has a great bassist, and the bass comes out more when they're live. As for the CD though, I'll give it a 3/5

Drums :: Amazing, fast, incredible. Mr. Daniel Erlandsson has created some very amazing stuff. His work near the end of the last track "Slaves of Yesterday" is awesome. I saw a saw blade, one of those circular ones, on his setup while he was recording. I'm not sure if he used it or if it was just for looks. Anyways, its all amazing stuff from Daniel. 5/5

Overall :: This CD is amazing, and should be listened to by fans of older arch enemy - the "Johan Era", and fans of technical, melodic swedish death metal. I give this CD a 4.5 out of 5. So go out and buy it today!

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Default Re: Arch Enemy :: Doomsday Machine :: Cd Review

I really liked Wages of Sin, and enjoyed Anthems of Rebellion (although less than the previous album). Gonna need to check this one out.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

thank you for mentioning that they had a new disc out. i was out of new music to buy!

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

I really enjoyed it, it's one of the only cd's im listening this last days, along with NIN-With Teeth and Fantomas-Suspended Animation

+ Reply to Thread