+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiccan Justice

Default Wiccan Justice

From yahoo
    A small South Carolina town is facing a hefty legal bill after losing a battle over whether it should stop using Jesus Christ's name in prayers before council meetings.

The
    U.S. Supreme Court refused in June to hear the town's appeal of a lower court ruling over the prayers.

Now Darla Wynne wants Great Falls to pay her more than $65,000 to cover legal bills. A judge is expected to rule on the matter within the next two months.

Wynne, who describes herself as a Wiccan priestess, sued Great Falls in 2001, saying the town violated the separation between church and state by using the name Jesus Christ in prayers because it promoted one religion over the other.

The money is not covered by insurance, and it is unclear where the town about 2,200 residents would get the cash. The amount is about 7 percent its annual budget.

"It'll be an enormous undertaking for us," town attorney Michael Hemlepp said.

Wynne's lawyer said attorneys had incurred only about $18,000 in expenses before the town decided to appeal. "We spent two years in extra litigation while they went to the U.S. Supreme Court, and I think the case was clear from the beginning," said attorney Herbert Buhl.

The Rev. Michael Sollers, pastor of Evangel Temple Assembly of God, said most of the town supported the council's decision to keep fighting the case and would be willing to help pay the legal fees.

Default Re: Wiccan Justice

Religions fighting eachother are silly. Live and let live.

Her house is going to get egged... or worse! I believe in standing up for what you believe in, but I guess I'd pick my battles more carefully. I mean, in a town of two thousand people who gives a shit?

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

effing wiccans ruin evrything

i dont understand religions half the time. its all for show and publicity in my opinion

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Jesus christ. This happens all the time...

They're not persecuting you. They're not trying to push Wicca down. You would not complain if it was a ritual from your faith before it started.

If they were pushing you down and telling you what to believe or what to do, I would stand by you.
    But they are not, and you should not try doing it to them.

+ Reply to Thread