+ Reply to Thread

Thread: subculture blues

evilassmaster's Avatar Exiled
    Brunswick, Maine... the other white bread

Default subculture blues

do you consider yourself a social deviant, or do you think of assuming your deviant tendeancies as being yourself?

I say this, of course, based on hundreds of superficial encounters with "goths" and whatnot, who pretend to be dark, mysterious and violent by acting it, but in real life are terrified of other people.

so where do you stand? "goth", or "yourself"?

I'm still new here.

Default Re: subculture blues

Uh...

I really don't consider myself anything but a lover of computers, books, and movies.

why don't you answer your question firsth and give us some inspiration to write back?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Is there some place on this site where it says "we heart uber-goth people of limited imagination with one dimensional personalities" and I just don't know it? If so, please point out the page and I'll have it edited.

If you just want to supply more info to clarify what you are asking, that is cool too.

I've always seen Blue Blood as a place for people who are not limited to just one set of subcultural ideas or tastes, for people who are seekers, for people who have crossed through many subcultures, for people who can live wild and think critically and march to the beat of a different drummer.

oMg I LoVe HoT tOpIc! I wAnT tO hAvE iTs BaBiEs!

Holy crap, I will never write like that again.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker

to late i can now bring this quote up out of context to black male you yarrrrr

back on topic, ive never realy been "goth" sure ive always apreciated the darkesr aspects of life but ive always been a fairly "normal" guy. people have compared me to Hank Hill from the King of the Hill show thats how average i realy am

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well yeah I would consider myself a social deviant. I wouldn't consider msyelf a sub-culture, because that's a direct contradiction of a social deviant- It's a subordinant of the standard culture. and as far as i've seen the "goth" and all other subcultures live up to that classification because all they seem to be to me is someone making money off selling an identity to people, which is exactly the same thing the dominant culture does, it just useless a differnt uniform to display.

I believe that being part of that social deviancy is more of a personal thing. Not all of us are allowed to dress the way we want. I would KILL to be able to wear the one body piercing I desire, an eyebrow piercing. However my job tells me if I do it I will find myself in a world of shit. Meh at home and around my friends I am me, but at work you will find a big mean bald guy who enforces the rules =P

Also on a side note, can you believe they won't let us get tattoos on our forearms, neck, hands, or face? Oh well only a few more years left of military service and then I can leave with honors and do what the hell I want to do.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by evilassmaster
    do you consider yourself a social deviant, or do you think of assuming your deviant tendeancies as being yourself?.
    You'd have to define social deviancy. I can say as of this writing I am not a "social deviant" as I would understand the term. I obey the law, pay taxes etc. I would fall more into the category of Camus's The Rebel. I don't reject the legitimacy of an imperfect society, I just reserve the right to say no and do as I wish (without harming others)

I say this, of course, based on hundreds of superficial encounters with "goths" and whatnot, who pretend to be dark, mysterious and violent by acting it, but in real life are terrified of other people..
    I've certainly been around gothic, punk and other "scenes". I've never been fond of labels.
    I see more variety than the people you've encountered. Having said that, I think all subcultures will be prone to the same conformities you see in society as a whole.

so where do you stand? "goth", or "yourself"?.
    Individualism tends to be a commodity. I believe in many cases it is just another escape from authentic existence. I see myself as a student of life ... and nothing more.

OEC

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i guess i'm just being myself. I find my self in situations where I find something totally normal and every one else is weirded out. I'm the chick who dresses like a frilly goth, dances like an industrial kid and has a fairly punk additude. I'm no body and everybody all at once. But I do feel this incredible urge to kick in the heads of little mall goths and beat up on the hopeless EMO kids. I dunno I'm just babbling at this point.
    K

well, I dont consider Myself "goth" as it is today. where it seems everyone I see that is seem to dress alike and have the same hairdo, olr tattoo or piercing. I was dark way back in the 80s, always wearing black clothes, and a shaved head. Old School I guess I could call it. I dont have any tattoos, since I really never wanted to do that at the age I was, but do plan to get one now, when I can afford ti, but Ive done My own piercings since way back then.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I just do whatever it is that I do

I'm going to label myself "Goth", in fact I'm going to label myself as the "King of all the Goths"! Do you want to know why? Because I pretend to be dark, mysterious and violent by acting it, but in real life I'm terrified of other people.

So what sort of fancy label do you brand yourself? (I could think of a few)

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I am so Goth I'm black.

Seriously though I think my aesthetic preferences tend to sway towards goth. Although I've never been one to be interested in lables beyond for my own amusement. As I had to explain to my parents over and over whenever I've had weird hair, clothes or whatever. I like what I like.

If there absolutely has to be a lable I think this one will work

Afrogothalicious with dorky tendancies.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, i don't really like the whole labeling thing... i'm a little bit of everything really, but it's much easier for other people to label me "goth" because i wear all black and have a darker aesthetic..... meh, whatever works i guess

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Im me. Not gothic, I actually hate what that label has come to mean. Punk is dead. Hell, I am no label.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Im me. Not gothic, I actually hate what that label has come to mean. Punk is dead. Hell, I am no label.
    Hmmm...no label huh? What if I got one of those lil labeling machines and put descriptive words all over ya?

Hmmm...

I swear that didn't sound as weird in my head as it does written. But anyhow these days peopel are bummed out that the labels we've made don't live up to what we think they should...and how can they? It'd assume that everyone who is "gothic" was whatever stereotype was considered right that day.

I think this has more to do with the fact that once taboo ways of dressing are now so much a norm for some people they don't feel the need to be classified to feel validated...they simply ARE who they are...

Like wonderful Jax here who I want to cover in fun lil labels...I'm sure a total stranger would label her something like punk, gothic, insane, but we all know better...she's a total gun crazy nymph who is dangerous when drunk. And that's why we love her...cause she is what she is.

Unless she points that gun at me then she is whatever the hell she tells me she is. :P

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

me=non make up wearing, non scary, horror movie loving, will punch you in the face you talk shit to me in person, death metal and regatone listening, comic book reading,yu-gi-oh! playing, irritated by cake make up poser, used to love hot topic till my sixty dollar boots fell apart like two dollar sneakers not even six months into wear GOTH.. big woop-pass the cheetos.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i'm just me,man..

i am everything and i am nothing....

i've never fit one single mold....i've never been set on a single set of ideas or whatever....

Labels are just a means to boost peoples Ego's and to further degrade intellectual thinking on an individual basis....it's sad really...

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

I was curious, so I checked. And the only thing my label said was "dry clean only" so....ummm...not goth I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Individualism tends to be a commodity. I believe in many cases it is just another escape from authentic existence. I see myself as a student of life ... and nothing more.
    I agree fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    So what sort of fancy label do you brand yourself? (I could think of a few)
    I am offended

I see

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    I see
    well let's us them there have us a few...bozo ^^

well let's us them there have us a few...bozo ^^

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Hmmm...no label huh? What if I got one of those lil labeling machines and put descriptive words all over ya?

Like wonderful Jax here who I want to cover in fun lil labels...I'm sure a total stranger would label her something like punk, gothic, insane, but we all know better...she's a total gun crazy nymph who is dangerous when drunk. And that's why we love her...cause she is what she is.

Unless she points that gun at me then she is whatever the hell she tells me she is. :P
    You rock my socks! I wear my freakiness on my sleeve. No surprises. But you can label me 'dork';]

Zombie_Fatale's Avatar Senior Member

I'm just a 'goth'... why one needs labels? just stay yourself... Even in dark shade...

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I don't really know what I am. I stopped caring a while ago. I gravitate towards what I like, and away from what I don't like. The rest is unimportant.

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

i dunno, whatever people think i am, :\

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

I don't care what I am. Label me as an individual (tm), a rebel, a goth, I'll still not care.

issue: I wear a black leather bracelet with the spikes on it for TWO DAYS in art school, IMMEDIATLY the hippy chicks and goth girls start asking to look at my sketchpads and get all friendly-like...

same kids who said, during a debate session, that they were gonna tell their boyfriends to kick my ass...

+ Reply to Thread