+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are some positive ways to re-inforce Self Esteem?

Default What are some positive ways to re-inforce Self Esteem?

Even though I am trying to work on my self-esteem and self-confidence, I would appreciate some suggestions.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What are some positive ways to re-inforce Self Esteem?

well..personally i have a big problem with confidence and self-esteem...

i guess the superficial approach to self-confidence and self-esteem is to dress in a way that makes you feel confident...i know that whenever im wearing an outfit that i think makes me look good, i feel a lot better about myself...work-out, it makes you feel healthy and helps your seratonin level...and just remember to stop caring what other people think, be happy that you are you...think about all the people who have it worse off than you and you'll realize you are lucky to be alive in your body and should stop worrying about your insecurities and be confident!

i wish i would follow my own advice...

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

Eat a meatball parm, drink lots of vodka (or your alcohol of choice), beat up people smaller than you, mock the mentally or physically challenged. Spike your father's drink with antifreeze like this woman did to her brother-in-law. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

masque's Avatar Junior Member

I used to have a problem with this too. I think the best thing to do is to do things to make you feel good about yourself. Dress yourself up, do things that make you feel proud of yourself. . . the best thing to do is accept yourself for who you are, and believe that you are perfect that way. Confidence comes from within, so complimenting yourself and how wonderful you are is the way to go. After you have more confidence and self-esteem a lot of things becoming easier to accomplish.

Mother Superior

BrightStar:
    The best way for you to get self-confidence and self-esteem is to stop giving a fuck what people think of you. They say to not care what people think of you, because the point is, people rarely do think, so it's irrelevant. If you live for someone else or to impress others, you aren't really living. I think this comes with aging and you are younger but you need to learn that on the bottom line, you can't be concerned with every little move you make. It's called free will. I know when you are young, for most people, it was/is important to fit in, I was never the average kid though. You have to work with what you have and accentuate on that, it's all you can do. A physical makeover isn't going to change what's going on inside of you or your true feelings about yourself. Society tries very hard to dictate what we are supposed to look like, what we are supposed to drive, how we are supposed to dress. I say fuck society. Shut off your television for one. I wish you luck on your path, being unique isn't an easy job, but someone has to do it.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Personally the one big thing I did to really boost my independence and self-esteem was to move out of my parents' house when I was 17.

But really, my tips would be: stop focusing on yourself. Turn that focus outward into something else besides yourself. Research things that interest you. Take up a sport. Don't give up, and try not to give in to whining. Fuck fitting in and making/hoping that people like you. There's always going to be someone out there who doesn't like you, no matter how perfect you may be (and none of us are). You have to like yourself first, and know that you are imperfect (and accepting that) but that you are working on learning lessons and bettering yourself as a person.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    But really, my tips would be: stop focusing on yourself. Turn that focus outward into something else besides yourself. Research things that interest you. Take up a sport. Don't give up, and try not to give in to whining. Fuck fitting in and making/hoping that people like you. There's always going to be someone out there who doesn't like you, no matter how perfect you may be (and none of us are). You have to like yourself first, and know that you are imperfect (and accepting that) but that you are working on learning lessons and bettering yourself as a person.
    Bravo girl, well said!

~Histrionica~

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Confront your fears.

self esteem comes from two things: honestly knowing yourself and then truely liking yourself..I think it's a lifelong process.
    Pedar

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

Breast implants.

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    self esteem comes from two things: honestly knowing yourself and then truely liking yourself..I think it's a lifelong process.
    Pedar
    Well, I Already Honestly know Myself, and I also Truly like myself. I still care way too much about what other people think though.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    Breast implants.
    I was going to say accomplishment, but yours is good too

Cocaine.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    Breast implants.

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    Cocaine.
    Or you can go the way of Tyrone Biggums. He's not focusing on himself.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Go to Wal-Mart on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Well, I Already Honestly know Myself, and I also Truly like myself. I still care way too much about what other people think though.
    We're social animals so we are always going to notice what people think- like I say -it's a lifelong process: accepting yourself with all your flaws- but realizing you've got good qualities and nobody is perfect and we're all in the same boat and deep down we all want the same things- be good to yourself and try to be nice to people-but don't let anyone disrespect you (--do I sound like a fucking shrink? I know shrinks who've told me I have good 'insight' -but I could never be one..it would be too depressing..) - Pedar

+ Reply to Thread