+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it too early to talk about new year's resolutions?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Is it too early to talk about new year's resolutions?

Do you make resolutions? And, do you have a good track record of keeping them?

What goals are you thinking of setting for yourself in the upcomming new year?

I want to travel more than I did this year. I haven't decided what the measurable commitment will be, but I know I should set one. I kind of want to take work more seriously, but also do a better job of knowing and appreciating when I'm not working.

I'm certain I will come up with some more, but figured it would be cool to hear your thoughts on your outlook, goals, and resolutions as well.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Is it too early to talk about new year's resolutions?

eh, i never really make new years resolutions i mean its a good idea i guess but it always seemed kinda silly to me, oh well.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

i have a couple things i need to accomplish this year. I need to lose 100 pounds and i need to keep my depression in check so i dont kill someone.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

not to sound like a prick, but i've always thought of new years resolutions as a little lame. i mean do you really only give yourself a cognitive reality check once a year to determine what things you need to change in your life. This might sound like motivational speaker babble, but every day i try to think of ways to challenge myself. improving my mind, body, relationships, career, spiruality are things I resolve to work on more than once a year. i dont know... just seems that if you need a special day to make the changes, how badly can you really want them. my .02.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

the only new years resolution I wanna make is to be able to take st to nyc next new years to see the ball drop in person.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

I have never made a resolution...ive thought about it, but then I realized that i'd never actually succesfully finish my resolution; therefore it would make me feel bad about myself...so I've decided to have my new years resolution be " to not make resolutions"

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

I need to stop saying "you go girl" to myself.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I don't really make resolutions, for the same reason I don't really do any other date-related activities: I figure that the sentiment and ideas expressed on a single holiday should be spread out through the year. Why relegate being generous, having fun, dressing weird, self-assessment or anything else to a certain day when you could just incorporate that into your life?

Then again, I like the parties. I put a little star on my salvia plant. Festive.

Anyway, I do know what I want to do in the new year: begin fasting and finish my book. The latter is something I'm halfway done and sort of have to do if I want to, y'now, fulfill my dream of being a novelist, and the former is something more for my personal growth (I have very little willpower and no power to commit; I am also very sensual and a lot of that is expressed through what I eat. Fasting would be a suitable challenge to my willpower as well as a good opportunity to build it).

That and I need a haircut.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Well last week I celebrated being the only person in my family to achive two New Year's Resolutions. The first one was five years ago when I quit smoking. This year I made the resolution to fit back into my favourite pink and black pants. Guess who wore those pants out last friday? That would be me. *mini cabbage patch*

What to do this year? I usually don't start thinking about it till after Christmas. Talk to me then...
    K

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

To try to talk my credit card payments down... They say that you can just call the credit card companies and try to negotiate. Yeah, right, well, I will try.

Because they companies charge you all this money to negotiate your credit card payments.

Anyway, it will be good practice to negotiate money, which I am really bad at.

So even if I can't do it, I will make myself try to do it...

OH, and of course the other resolutions: To get the green light on my film, keep seeing my love, maybe even go on a ski trip!

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I don't make resolutions either. Life seems to ofer it's challenges up on a random schedule, so I handle them accordingy. And that seems to be the intention of resolutions, to overcome problems that have gotten in your way in the past. I wish I only had one problem, so I could solve it at the beginning of the year, but I am not so fortunate :-)

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I treat New Years resolutions as practically a religion. Every year, on my birthday and at the turn of the year, I reflect on where I am at and where I want to be at and what I am proud of having done in the preceding time and what I would really like to improve on. I haven't totally decided on 2006 resolutions yet, but I've got one I'm kicking around.

I noticed in 2005 that I knew kind of too many two-faced people and I cut some dead weight out of my life by excising such people and I may resolve in 2006 to make sure I am absolutely never like that myself. I'm naturally inclined to be straighforward, but I've worried over whether I should be in the past. This means that more people will get to hear really exactly what I think, but I've been surrounding myself with some really good people this year, so that shouldn't be too much of a bad thing for too many people. Who minds hearing that truthfully I think they are great?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

good move amelia I decided this year that there is only room for so many people in my life and the lying back stabbing wishy washy friends I had were taking up too much space, so I got rid of them as well. Some people think that you should be on good terms with everyone, cause you don't want to have enemies, but why bother with some folks? My life has honeslty become better since then, I have filled those slots with people who treat me well.
    AMEN~!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I would tend to agree with Amelia. I think it is better to reflect on goals and aspirations only a few times a year. I think the rest of the time you should be going at full speed. If you reassess yourself too much, you'll end up scattered and/or procrastinating. A good thing to do is to list resolutions in the order of importance. I'll be back later to list some of mine. I was fairly successful with those I listed on BB for 2005.

OEC

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

I don't make resolutions, I don't think you should have to set goals for yourself just because the new year is starting. Set your goals when they are as convenient as possible for yourself.

Resolutions don't do me any good. I never followed through on any of them before. I'm just a worthless son of a bitch.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

1. Relations - Concentrate on the positive, eliminate the negative. Talk no shit, let others.
    * This is a common theme I'm hearing off this newsgroup also*

2. Responsibility - Finish my work. Treat a certain lady kindly.

3. Endeavors - More original writing on my blog, more original writing period.

4. Health - More exercise, Quit smoking (my only failure from 2005 BB list)

These lists get easier over time. I finished a semester of law school. I just need to find time for, and incorporate, the creative endeavors. Criticism just amuses me. I have a responsibility to family, friends, a young lady and advancing my principles and causes only. This basically encompasses my life and worldview.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread