+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need ideas

Darknessismylight2877's Avatar Member

Default I need ideas

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who is really goth and I want to create a quilt for her because she's going through some pretty rough shit right now. I know that I can get solid colours, like black, purple and red, but I'm looking for patterned material in those colours but with more of a goth flare. I have looked in almost all of the fabric stores here on the coast, I should say the few that survived the Hurricane and keep finding stuff that I can't use, like polyester or that's way to heavy . I need fabric that's 100% cotton since that's easier to work with. I also want to have varied patterns not just six different colours of Camo or animal print. I want the quilt to be unique. As I said she's really had it rough these last couple of months. She lost the quilt her grandmother made for her in the Hurricane and that's what she used to wrap up in when she was upset. She lived in New Orleans and lost everything. I really want to get this started and done before her birthday in June. So if any of you know of websites or even stores near the Biloxi area that carries some unique patterns I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    Last edited by Darknessismylight2877; 01-20-2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: My mind goes faster than what I type

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default Re: I need ideas

You could always get some BlueBlood patches and sew them into the quilt.. that would totally awesome.

I will have my team of midgets surf around for you, and see if i can come up with anything...

BC

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I'm not help, but I think that is a wonderful thing of you to do for her.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

You can also start with the basic colors of black, red, purple, etc, and then paint cool designs on them with fabric paints... Add patches, sew on spiderwebs, etc...

gothic rose's Avatar Senior Member

i'll get some patterns and info for you form my grandma, she has a ton also do you need some tips on how to sew one or have you done it before?

I've done Quilt sqaures before that I turned into pillows, but this will be my first full quilt....Her grandmother made us both quilts and they were both the same pattern.....I'll see if I can somehow get pics of my quilt and e-mail them to you to get an idea of what I want to sort of do...My friend's quilt was made for a full size bed while mine was made for a twin...I want to make hers full size so that she can use it on her bed if she wants...I'm thinking of doing pillows or maybe a lap quilt with any left over fabric I might have... or even take the left over fabric and combine it with some scarps that I have from another project and make a patch work skirt out of it...I like the idea of using patches and spider webs on the quilt...I'll have to see how that would look and what the difficulty level will be to get those incorporated into the quilt...This is going to be a great quilt if all works out...I'm started to get anxious and excited about this project...I can't wait to get started..

and thanks for all your help

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

If she were a true-goth, she'd be able to find wamth and comfort in her own misery and a quilt would be of no use for her.

Phoenix Blue's Avatar Senior Member

You could also try a dark tartan plaid, lace (over a solid background), velvet and brocade (texture is a nice design aspect to include). You could embroider some of your plain pattern pieces with phrases or graphics that have meaning for her. If you don't embroider you can always use a "fabric pen", they make silver and gold which show up nicely on dark fabric. A lightweight tapestry or print that looks/reminds you of tapestry would be interesting also.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Blue
    You could also try a dark tartan plaid, lace (over a solid background), velvet and brocade (texture is a nice design aspect to include). You could embroider some of your plain pattern pieces with phrases or graphics that have meaning for her. If you don't embroider you can always use a "fabric pen", they make silver and gold which show up nicely on dark fabric. A lightweight tapestry or print that looks/reminds you of tapestry would be interesting also.

Hmmm..those sound like good possibilities (sp) I do cross stich, so jumping into embroidery shouldn't be too difficult....I did find some fabric at Wally world that could work in the quilt in black and red...it took 45 mins of searching in the quilting fabric to find it...I did see some quilting fabric at Wally world that had that tapestry look to it but the pattern was well interesting....so I'm going to do the whole hopping from fabric store to fabric store and see what I find now that I have at least two colurs to go with.... I now have an idea of what I'm looking for and how this should work out...If this quilt turns out nice, I'm thinking of making a memory quilt for my mom.

+ Reply to Thread