+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Were you awkward..

Mother Superior

Default Were you awkward..

In junior high school or high school? I was so damn insecure in jr. high. My goodness. I was just feeling so hideous and awful about everything. I hated jr. high. High school was another story, I came into my own then.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Were you awkward..

Junior high is supposed to be traumatic.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Junior high is supposed to be traumatic.
    8th Grade was an awesome year. I have Meniere's Disease tho. Too clumsy to be awkward.

OEC

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

i ran for student office in seventh grade, and at the end of my little "vote for me" speach, i threw candy into the audience, but i was so nervous i forgot i was right handed and threw it like an idiot with my left hand, and it hit a bunch of people, and the principle came and pulled me off the stage. people were still laughing at me at the beginning of eighth grade. i guess i was pretty awkward. hehe

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i'm still awkward as a baby fawn. but just a s cute too so it evens out

K

BloodredProject2402's Avatar Senior Member

yup i just got out of jr.hi last year and i never got into any crowd....even the rejected crowd.......and then,this tear, high school....i just crawled inside myself and was just sitting next to a bunch of kids at the middle of the year and they just started talking to me and we just bonded....i figured out they were pretty much like me just with different backgrounds.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I was the stereotypical Geek at school, being the shortest person in the class, with the spectacles, braces on my teeth & a stammer. I hated being that way, but what can you do? As soon as I got the chance, I got contact lenses, which gave me a big boost. I got some speech therapy, to control my stammer a bit better, and now I wear New Rock boots when I go out. I'm still at heart a bit of a geek in some ways, but not as overt as I used to be.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i've yet to NOT be awkward

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

haha oh god.. i wasnt realy awkward in school in any years.. but SOO FUCKING SHY right up until grade 6, then i was a little bit better... but really starting in grade 8 i actually started making friends... id never had more than like 10 friends in school up until grade 8...
    then i discovered the internet! HAH!!

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

man, junior high was horrendous, to the point where i don't remember much of it cause i think i blocked it out. that, or it's cause my memory's realllllllly bad. high school was better, but i didn't really come into my own until sophmore year of college. i guess i was what you call a late bloomer. now i still am awkward at times, but it's not nearly as bad.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

both were awful. I was really skinny and didn't fill out untill I was in my twenties. seriously, I was not confident or attractive untill I was 21 or 22. I was deffinetly a late bloomer. The fact that I didn't have any friends in H.S. because I was the only punk rocker at my school didn't really help either.
    Honestly, I truly think I look my best right now. I actually weigh more than 110 lbs; this just happened like three years ago....... finally!

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

i think you truly look your best right now too hehe...
    especially naked

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

I was tormented through most of my youth and so I befriended the dorks through most of my adolescence cause they were the only people who were non judgemental. I had no boobies and short hair and freckles and people thought I was a boy sometimes. No boys liked me till I was in later years of high school.......

damn, wouldnt know it from your avatar

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Yep, I was always 90 pounds-ish, no tits, no ass, people thought I was a boy all the time. Nerdy glasses and no style. Then at about 14-15 I found punk rock, was the only punk at my school, the only chick with a mohawk in the whole damn city, still skinny and nerdy. I still have barely any tits or ass, but Ive filled out into myself. I have people from HS and junior high contacting me all the time, they cant believe its me and are all trying to be what they made fun of. Its hilarious.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I was (am still) strange. I went to small schools with the same people for a long time so most of them were nice to me but, there was some teasing etc.

By highschool though I was entirely done with most the people I went to school with I started to really (not just say) I didn't give a fuck and my life got easier. People laughed at me still, thought I was chunky, wore weird things. But, I noticed things like gossip and stupid rumours stopped because I had stopped caring so it was no fun for people to talk shit.

I've run into a few people I went to highschool with (both on the street and on the net) and most of them just sort of stare like, 'whoa'. I mostly look the same but my attitude is different so I think that makes the big difference.

nudemuse, i think im following in your footsteps....although people have nothing to do with me either way......except for 4 people.....its better when your friends are in a very limited number because i know everything about my friends and i would rather have it that way

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

hmm, i guess in school i was the kid that knew shit about computers :\ always picked on. had a solid group of friends in high school. i did attempt suicide in high school, glad i failed tbh. lost those friends when i moved and started comprehensive school. again, made a solid group of friends, was still the nerdy type, but i developed the "dont give'a'shittm" mentality, a few of the stronger kids in the school became close friends, bullying stopped. i started not giving a shit about school, grades slipped. now i focus on the area im good at, computers, web design/development and programming.

the strangest thing is i never really needed protecting in school, 6'3" and by no means weak, but i was very passive, it took alot for me to fight back, so people took advantage and just kept throwing digs :\ not alot has changed except i dont put up with shit i dont need to, im still passive but retaliate when needed.

i have no regrets with how i have turned out, but i would love to go back with the mentality i have now and do things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    I was tormented through most of my youth and so I befriended the dorks through most of my adolescence cause they were the only people who were non judgemental. I had no boobies and short hair and freckles and people thought I was a boy sometimes. No boys liked me till I was in later years of high school.......
    I wish I'd been at school with you...

I was once bullied by someone, until I totally lost it at them (he was a good foot taller than me) jumped on his back as he tried to walk away. 5 people had to drag me off him. Never had much trouble with bullies after that.

I'm sensing a pattern here....

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodredProject2402
    nudemuse, i think im following in your footsteps....although people have nothing to do with me either way......except for 4 people.....its better when your friends are in a very limited number because i know everything about my friends and i would rather have it that way
    I had quite a few good friends. It was mostly a matter of finding people who shared passions and things with me. It helped that I was politically active and worked as a peer sex educator at the time. I spent a lot of time outside of my school area.

There are probably less than ten people I'd actually like to see again to know how they are etc.

As hard as a few of those years were I actually think I'm pretty much over it. That's a nice feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I'm sensing a pattern here....
    yeah, noticed it also, its odd but understandable. A persons life defines who they are, depending on the persons personality it may change the outcome but the basic outcome will always be the same, alternative thinking/lifestyle in this case :P

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    both were awful. I was really skinny and didn't fill out untill I was in my twenties. seriously, I was not confident or attractive untill I was 21 or 22. I was deffinetly a late bloomer. The fact that I didn't have any friends in H.S. because I was the only punk rocker at my school didn't really help either.
    Honestly, I truly think I look my best right now. I actually weigh more than 110 lbs; this just happened like three years ago....... finally!
    so I have to mention this..everytime I see your picture, it reminds me of this little girl

it may just be me, lol but did you look like her when you were little? Shes the little girl from problem child 2 lol! (maybe this should go in the nostalgia thread hehe)

anyhow, something about your facial ffeatures or something.heh

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Hmm... I was never awkward though my
    school years... nor bullied or anything of the
    sort being that I struck fear in everyone else
    (and still do), peers as well as elders.

Having been in some awkward situations
    is a bit of a difference... once getting myself
    arrested my first day after starting a new
    junior high... something about the pistol
    in my locker... looking back can only say
    soooooooooo glad those were different
    times than now. Being that not much
    trouble came of it other than an expulsion
    and 90 day 'vacation' with the youth
    authority.

And of course after that, no one had a
    second thought of wanting to give me
    any kind of shit... besides the friends I
    had through all of my school years had
    been forged early on, in fact my best
    friend I have known since the second
    grade, started off with me beating his
    ass in front of the entire school... and
    we've been the best of friends since
    then.

Have you seen the movie "Welcome to the Dollhouse"? That wwas pretty much me. It sucked. I was big for my age...I was about the size I am now (complete with breasts) in the fourth grade. And I had braces. I was very creative and eager to learn and I was stuck in a K-8 public school in the middle of nowhere with no arts programs. My parents were older and grew up in the 50s, so if I tried to talk to them about feeling isolated, I would get a niave, "They are just jealous becasue your so pretty" from my wide-eyed June Cleaveresque mom and a "Just toughen up!" from my Red Foremanesque Dad. I got picked on a lot, all the way up through highschool. I felt like a freak. Boys didn't like me, in fact I was 14 before I ever kissed a boy. At some point in middle school I just said fuck it, and quit trying to fit in at all.But you know, I'm glad it was the way it was. It made me who I am. But thank God its over.

jax wrote: I have people from HS and junior high contacting me all the time, they cant believe its me and are all trying to be what they made fun of. Its hilarious.

I have had several similar experiences recently, as many of my schoolmates are discovering my*****. Their messages keep me alternating between being completley bewildered (WTF???) and amused (the former football jock wants to be my slave?). I have made a really big effort to be cordial to these people because I refuse to stoop to the level they did so many years ago. I have to say though, I did laugh my ass off when a former pretty girl who was shitty to me told me all in all seriousness about her "country music career" which turned out to be winning a Kareoke contest in our home town. I also found out she named one of her children after Kenny Chesney, a country singer who is from our area. She sent me a my***** message, and when I clicked on her profile it had Kenny Chesney wallpaper. I assumed maybe she knew him. It turns out, no, she's a stay-at-home mom and obsessed fan. It's a sad, sad world out there in "normal" land. Thank God I'm a Freak!

Hehehe... I love running into people that
    I went to high school with... not that I do
    anymore being 3,000 miles away from
    'there'... so great to see how they have
    all gone bald, got fat, rotten children(s)
    and thrice diviorced...

and meanwhile I still have a full head of hair,
    no fucking kids or ex-wives besides and
    most look twice their age as I still look
    the same, with the exception of now I
    actually have hair. (see profile pic, the
    'old' me... since that was from my prom)

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    <snip>
    ....., rotten children(s)
    and thrice diviorced...

<snip>
    As Flip was so bothered by my use
    of a plural identifier at the end of an
    already plural word... enough so to
    bother to point it out to me privately,
    and as I've already explained to him
    I did this on purpose as it is heard
    very commonly especially in the mid-
    west U.S. as well as other places in the
    states when some people talk about
    their kids... calling them 'childrens...
    or childrenz'... among other things, 'ankle
    biters, curtain climbers, rug rats' and what
    not.

Unlike you, Flip, I do know how to use
    spellcheck (why not point out that 'divorced'
    was actually misspelled instead?)...
    but at least I'm not a fucking Mac'em.
    (hehe... how's that Black Spiral Dancer?)

Hehehe... I love running into people that
    I went to high school with... not that I do
    anymore being 3,000 miles away from
    'there'... so great to see how they have
    all gone bald, got fat, rotten children(s)
    and thrice diviorced...

and meanwhile I still have a full head of hair,
    no fucking kids or ex-wives besides and
    most look twice their age as I still look
    the same, with the exception of now I
    actually have hair. (see profile pic, the
    'old' me... since that was from my prom)
    man, a pistol in your locker....tisk tisk, the most i have done is got the school let out for a day because i went up to this big ass fireworks stand on my way up to a family reunion in arkansas and got the biggest smoke bomb i have ever seen, and let it off in the boys bathroom and got away with it smoother than anything i have ever gotten away with....and then i brought my combat knife to school strapped to my chest with the intent to provoke this one guy i very much disliked into fighting with me and then killing him with it.....i told him about it and for some reason he didnt show up to school that day .....i was proud of myself for making him believe that i would really do it and decided not to bring it again and every time after that when we locked eyes he looked down.....

As Flip was so bothered by my use
    of a plural identifier at the end of an
    already plural word... enough so to
    bother to point it out to me privately,
    and as I've already explained to him
    I did this on purpose as it is heard
    very commonly especially in the mid-
    west U.S. as well as other places in the
    states when some people talk about
    their kids... calling them 'childrens...
    or childrenz'... among other things, 'ankle
    biters, curtain climbers, rug rats' and what
    not.

Unlike you, Flip, I do know how to use
    spellcheck (why not point out that 'divorced'
    was actually misspelled instead?)...
    but at least I'm not a fucking Mac'em.
    (hehe... how's that Black Spiral Dancer?)

well its spelled Mackem :P

but Spiral dancer is a dirty goddamn Geordie anyway :P

iand i pointed it out because it was the most retarded thing ive seen :P spelling mistakes i can deal with, but pluralizing a plural word is retarded beyond retarded....

on the topic of getting suspended from school, it almost happened to me. i managed to hack the admin account and get access to the entire network, unfortunatly i bragged about it and got caught the next day :\

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by vinylkitty
    Have you seen the movie "Welcome to the Dollhouse"? That wwas pretty much me. It sucked. I was big for my age...I was about the size I am now (complete with breasts) in the fourth grade. And I had braces. I was very creative and eager to learn and I was stuck in a K-8 public school in the middle of nowhere with no arts programs. My parents were older and grew up in the 50s, so if I tried to talk to them about feeling isolated, I would get a niave, "They are just jealous becasue your so pretty" from my wide-eyed June Cleaveresque mom and a "Just toughen up!" from my Red Foremanesque Dad. I got picked on a lot, all the way up through highschool. I felt like a freak. Boys didn't like me, in fact I was 14 before I ever kissed a boy. At some point in middle school I just said fuck it, and quit trying to fit in at all.But you know, I'm glad it was the way it was. It made me who I am. But thank God its over.
    Wow, you were 14???

Lol, I was 16 before my first kiss;] 18 when I lost my virginity or around that age, I always got fucked up to forget;p

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Wow, you were 14???

Lol, I was 16 before my first kiss;] 18 when I lost my virginity or around that age, I always got fucked up to forget;p

19 for the big V :\

not sure bout first kiss...

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

im always awkward-but ,back in highschool the local christian camp club kids (the popular ones) gave me the nicknames satan and antichrist if that helps out any.

I was awkward until I got leather pants and an electric guitar. I was still awkward after that but no one cared any more.

CoiZero's Avatar Junior Member

Oh god yes. I wasn't mocked and beaten in high school / junior high, but I was absolutely socially excluded. However, at some point, eccentric = freak morphed into eccentric = awesome, so I'm doing just fine now.

i know how you feel CoiZero

Bedlamite

I'm with Pull~My~Hair on this one. I've yet to STOP feeling like the chubby, short, weird, socially rejected high-schooler I never grew out of.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

when I was in high school laser surgery wasn't around yet, need I say more

+ Reply to Thread