+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 bands

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default 5 bands

ok, I saw this on mywaste, but it's not too bad of an idea. I know a lot of people here are really passionate about music, so here goes. The premise is name five bands that have changed (ok, at least had a signfigant impact on) your life. also, let's extend that to include albums/songs if that is more fitting, but try to keep it around five still.

Default Re: 5 bands

1. Metallica... opened a window into metal
    2. Sepultura... narrowed that window to death and grind metal
    3. Daft Punk - Da Funk... showed me that some electronis music can be nice
    4. Dj Umek... learned me a meaning of hard brutal techno
    5. Akufen... balanced everything within me... I found my nirvana with them... deep, clicky and minimalistic house at the edge of music technology....

My masters atm: Ricardo Villalobos and Nathan Fake

1:Pink floyd..i once had a discourage to listen to them until i accidently put the dark side of the moon tape in my player and didnt feel like getting back up to change it when i was going to sleep..now i cant stop listening to them
    2: Skinny puppy : helped me through high school
    3: old school manson: his older stuff is a lot more decent than his newer "pop shock rock" material
    4: NIN: i remember back in junior high and listening to pretty hate machine while doing stuff kids shouldnt do
    5: Mayhem: probably because i toured with em when i was 18..but thats about it

In order:
    Black Sabbath - (1st tape I ever bought.)
    Pink Floyd - Saucer Full of Secrets
    Siouxie and the Banshees - Hyaena
    My life with the Thrill kill Kult - Sexplosion/13 Above the Night
    Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Question for you all:
    If Lemmy from Motorhead and God got in a fight who would win?

Trick Question. Lemmy is God!
    MOTORHEAD RULES!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Metallica -- Kill 'Em All
    Gwar -- Scumdogs of the universe
    Beach Boys -- Surfin' USA (1st)
    Mindless Self Indulgence -- Frankentein Girls...
    Boys Don't Cry -- I Wanna Be A Cowboy (single) (Song I learned to Glow stick Dance to)

But there are atleast Nine others that I could list.. Like the midget KISS cover band, Enigma, Plastic Monday, etc...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

black sabbath
    Iron maiden
    Alice Cooper
    Front 242
    Velvet Acid Christ

in pretty much that order

Mother Superior

The Beatles - My first hard rock experience, my dad had The White Album, I fell in love and wore it out. Really enjoyed Helter Skelter and Long, Long, Long.
    Led Zeppelin - Again, have to thank my dad for exposure to this great music on Led Zeppelin I.
    Rod Stewart - One of my first albums was Sing It Again Rod, it had Maggie May and Reason To Believe, two of my all-time favorites.
    Black Sabbath- My dad's sister introduced me to Paranoid, enough said. I was about 3.
    Queen- My aunt again, I was in love with Brian May and he rocked too. Freddie Mercury's voice soothed me, I was quite young then. Always enjoyed his talent.

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

*Metallica- Master of Puppets- my first metal album/first time i was ever really pumped up (i was in second grade... tear)
    *Manson- Antichrist Superstar- helped me get through junior high and high school
    *Emperor- Wrath of the Tyrant- my first black metal album, and it opened me up to a whole new aspect of expression
    *Blind Guardian- Nightfall in Middle Earth- first powermetal album, showed me what it was to TRULY be pumped up.
    *GWAR- We Kill Everything- c'mon, it's gwar...

blind guardian and emperor are extra special, as i now live and breath power and black metal.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

journey escape they rocked so hard
    boston third stage they rocked harder
    def leppard hysteria they rocked me hardest
    guns and roses use your illlusion (both) rocked me so hard it burst
    metallica "the black one" james was on fire for us literly

minor hicups
    these seemed to affect me at the time but only lasted about a month

kind of like watching rocky and thinking you can kick anybodys ass then you wake up and realize everybody can kick your ass

pearl jam jeremy spoken his pants today
    green day do you have the time hell yes then pass the asprin
    creed the second comming the first few times you hear it then he is kind of ridicuious

sorry i sound lame i'm a simple lazy listener but i'm honest

hey have to say
    Beatles Abby Road ,,,man brings back mems
    Allice Coopper ,,,just cuzz it pissed the old man off,but i love it still <did a pretty mean alice impersonation ,in my old band and,at halloweeny
    Zep ,,hey what can ya say,,all time best rock of there time,Page
    Daivd Gillmore ,,after Floyd," house of blue light ",i was going thur some shyt,
    Stone Temple Pilots ,,cuzz i can ,but was a tie with Sound garden ,

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

ok, since I started this, I suppose it's about time I threw in my two abes. begin rant:

*VNV Nation - I guess this was really the first music that I felt really moved by and expressed a connection to my life. Also getting to know the artists and talking to them opened up a new world that was beyond what mainstream bands could ever offer.

*Against Me! - I really can't explain it without sounding cliche, but those songs were right on with what I was going through at the time. Just the feeling of having fun with your friends and like it's going to last forever and nothing else in the world matters but that moment.

*Choking Victim - The first time I heard the song "500 channels" I was on drugs, and I thought "wow. this song is about my life." This was about the time when I really started getting into politics and realized that society didn't really have anything to offer me, and everything was fucked up.

*Fifteen - See, by this point I was pretty fed up with punk rock. From day one we had the idea that we were going to dress up like punks, we were going to drink beer and all get together and fight the cops, and we were going to change the world and build a community. Well, we never did seem to get around to doing that last one, but we sure did the first two and it never amounted to anything, except my friends going to the hospital, the jail or the graveyard. I thought that it was enough to say "I hate everything" and that I could just walk away from societies problem, and not be a part of it. I didn't realize that we all internalize those problems and carry them around with us, so unless we deal with that, it aint gonna happen.

This was when I had just got sober and I was a thousand miles from home and it was the most alone I've ever felt. Then I heard Jeff singing "I know, I understand..." and I realized that there was someone that felt the same way I did, and was actually willing to try and do something about it. Talking about how adults beat up kids, and men beat up women, and all the rest of us beat up on each other, and on ourselves with booze, and drugs, and workaholism, and fucked up relationships is about a billion times more important than talking about why we hate people that shop at Hot Topic.

*Ghost Mice - OK, so these guys didn't change anything about me, other than finding some more friends, and I just wanted to give a shout out because I love them. They are DIY anarchist punks and they sing songs about peace, love and revolution without pretension, shame or hypocrisy.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

The Doors- The Soft Parade. This was the first album I remember listening to the lyrics very closely and feeling like there was something more to music than some of what I heard. It made a drive across Texas with my Uncle very memorable. I was uh...6-7 or so.

Miles Davis- The Birth of Cool. I can't even put into words how this album made (and still makes) me feel. Overwhelmed and very small and unimportant. In a good way.

Johnny Cash- At San Quentin. The first time I heard this I ~thought~ I hated country music because people I knew said they disliked country music. After hearing this I decided (for probably the first time) fuck what my friends think. And listened to it anyway.

Black Flag- I don't recall which album but I remember hearing that for the first time I was floored. Between the raw guitars and the vicious vocals I was forever changed.

More recently the first time I heard Otep between the passion and the fury I was pretty hooked. At the time I heard them I was pretty depressed and down about a lot of bullshit going on in my life. I couldn't do a lot of screaming so hearing someone else screaming made me feel better. Still does.

+ Reply to Thread