+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas teenager dies of rabies from bat bite

and your little dog too

Default Texas teenager dies of rabies from bat bite

from yahoo

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas teenager who was bitten by a bat while he slept in his home has died of rabies, the Houston hospital that treated him said in a statement.

Zachary Jones, 16, died on Friday, a week after he became ill from the bat bite he received about a month before.

According to U.S. Centers for Disease Control statistics, only 10 other people have died of rabies in the United States since 1998.

"Rabies, which causes devastating neurological damage, is almost always fatal once symptoms appear, as was the case with this child," Texas Children's Hospital said in a statement.

A 15-year-old girl from Wisconsin who contracted rabies in 2004 survived after the onset of symptoms, which can take weeks to develop.

Doctors at Texas Children's were trying the same treatment on Jones that saved the girl, but a spokeswoman told the Houston Chronicle the boy's illness was more advanced and he had a different strain of rabies.

A bat apparently flew through an open window into Jones' room while he was napping. He felt the bat brush against him, but did not know he had been bitten, health officials said.

The bat was captured with a towel and thrown out the window so it was never examined for rabies, they said.

Bats are common in Texas in spring as they migrate north after spending the winter in Mexico. Wildlife experts say they consume insects and help pollinate useful plants.

Default Re: Texas teenager dies of rabies from bat bite

welcome to the jungle baby...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

bats also eat mosquitos too

man thats a horrible way to die ,,and so young ,,,sux ,,,

my condolences to the family

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

When capturing a wild-animal and it ihas bit someone.. Throwing it out of the window IS ALWAYS FUCKING BRILLIANT...

I feel bad for the kid, do not get me wrong. But JFC just once i would like to read a news story abour someone that was not a Fricking MORON

eat-my-stockings's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    When capturing a wild-animal and it ihas bit someone.. Throwing it out of the window IS ALWAYS FUCKING BRILLIANT...

I feel bad for the kid, do not get me wrong. But JFC just once i would like to read a news story abour someone that was not a Fricking MORON
    *nods*
    But yes, it is sad

One may think it very callous of me to make light of that young lads untimely demise. That is not truly the case. I do however find that dying as a result of a bat bite, has a certain old-world charm to it for me. Sure, I have empathy for the family, but the details were much to rock and roll. *

*As a side note, most of the posts I mad a few day ago were made under a heavy influence of alcohol. Sorry.

its ok TC we under stand
    all good bro

+ Reply to Thread