+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NIN's Trent Reznor Thinks Emo Sucks Too

Default NIN's Trent Reznor Thinks Emo Sucks Too

Over the years, I think Rolling Stone magazine has maintained a higher standard of journalism than most music rags. The majority of music publications are written by writers in the employ of publicists and most rarely have an article on topics other than a performer's favorite color or fictional creative process. Although their musical...
    Read the full article

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: NIN's Trent Reznor Thinks Emo Sucks Too

Dont forget about this one. I didnt read the other 2 magazine features on him, but I did read this one. And I remember it was equally amazing.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

trent can blow me. he has a long way to go before he has any grounds for being able to criticize musicians for being whiney fashionites.

Roxy Contin's Avatar Member

Roxy contin thinks emo sucks too!!!!

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

I don't hate on Trent. I think he's done what he wants to do, and hasn't attempted to alter his art for the sake of popular interest (or at least has done a very, very bad job of it). I don't love all of his tunes, and I've never met the guy so I can't judge his character, but he seems like a decent enough dude.

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

He made some great music right up to the downward spiral (even that was ok). now, he reminds me of the fat, burned out, over rated Elvis! I like angry music, not whining candy ass major radio music. Also, what has he really done for music in the last 10 years? Give every Prep and jock a NIN sticker for the back of their Jeep or BMW? Well, he did give us Marylin Manson, gee! Thanks for that asshole destroying any scene! Maybe this why I'm not emo?

AnnieAnatomy's Avatar Wanted in all states

While I admit that the downward spiral was a little flat, I do like some of the music that Reznor wrights, and I am definitely going to agree with him here, EMO sucks.

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

Here in Maryland, when I thought of emo, I thought of the people that would listen to anything on Discord Records, drove a Dodge Dart, and wore Dickie's work shirts.....well, this was over 10 years ago though.....

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I wonder if I have any emo in my collection....probly not

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

We see the emo-kids around Newcastle and they give us dodgy looks because we're goths. I remember being on the bus travelling to our friends and there were emo-kids sitting near us. They started to s****** until I pulled out a copy of Gothic Beauty and started to read it. They were whispering "there's a magazine about goths, we have to find it." I doubt they ever did, since we have to order it specially from the states. It's always funny to wind them up like that.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

And yes, Emo does suck!

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I'm not too fond of bashing any genres, but I do like to bash emo a bit basically because it went from whiny hardcore music with ugly (but not terribly annoying) fashion, to whiny pop punk with just really bad awful trash fashion, and most emo kids are completely unaware of the origins of the genre (the same can be said of mall goths and a lot of these new "hardcore" fans.)

I'm not a huge fan of music journalism, maybe because I've spent time conducting interviews with a few different musos myself and the magazines I've had to write for haven't really wanted anything new or different, just another page filler. And in many cases, this resentment filters through to Rolling Stone - I haven't read it in a while though, so I'm just stating my viewpoint in regards.

As for Trent, he kinda pisses me off and I feel the sentiment of the author (though i've not read the article). At the latest concert I attended, he ceased playing one song (for good reason, people were being cunts while he played Hurt, something that requires listening rather than yettling) but then he finished playing 30 minutes early. Why? Because he thought the crowd didn't like him. Funny that, considering people payed at least $100 to attend, I really felt ripped off as did most of the audience. The next night "After last night I felt like getting on a plane and flying home, thank you for coming tonight." Well Trent, I kind of wished I didn't spend the cash to buy a ticket to your concert, pay for the flight and accomodation to attend. Motherfucker.

As for emo, it sucks balls. I can't understand why people don't buy jeans that fit and why do their women wear clothing that makes them look like tea cosies?

+ Reply to Thread