+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Evanescence Hoax

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default Re: The Evanescence Hoax

I did the music.. It is edgy... and when I first heard them, they were a nice change.

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

AHHHHHH.
    Evanescence is NOT a christian band.
    That may have been the idea in the begining, But Amy has said herself that they arent. Secondly, ive met her and she isnt a stuck up bitch like some other famous people are, so ive heard. It was Ben and Amy who wrote the lyrics, not one particular person. Now it is Terry and Amy that write the lyrics. And in my personal opinion, her voice does NOT suck, its amazing. Ive read lyric meanings from The Open Door that Amy explained in an interview or something, and they are NOT a HOAX. Ive probably read most everything there is on Amy and the band's history, and it seems pretty real to me though some people choose to be dumb and make up complete bullshit.
    and btw, Marilyn Manson is pure genius and some people[[ahem]] are just to shallow-minded to realize that.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

AAAH, RUN AWAY!! THERES AN OPINION ON THE LOOSE!!!
    just kiddin. 4 months is a bit of a bump though, isnt it?

evanescence is a christian band in that the members are christian, and whether they intend it or not that influences their music. thats not to say they are some kind of evangelical nutjob group but undeniably their beliefs influence their music, which is neither a good or bad thing. it just is.

as for marilyn manson, i think hes a feckin wierdo. but musically, a genius. i dont have to like him to admire him, or to enjoy his music, do i?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

as for marilyn manson, i think hes a feckin wierdo. but musically, a genius. i dont have to like him to admire him, or to enjoy his music, do i?
    *applauds* Though sadly, I'm afraid the rampant drug use has melted MM's musical genius into a sticky puddle.

The statement still stands however, you can disagree with a musician's personal politics, lifestyle etc and still be able to enjoy their music and appreciate their talent. I love Amy Lee's music, and Amy Winehouse's for that matter, but i don't agree with either of their personal lifestyle choices. It is entirely possible to separate the art from the artist.

~K

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    It is entirely possible to separate the art from the artist.
    You're cute, you're intelligent and you're good with a knife, but you're wrong. Sorry.

If you're writing lyrics then you draw on your life and those of the people around you, if you consciously want to or not it just happens - every damn time. That means a lyricist with a substance addiction may not write all their songs about Benny and the Jets (oh... wait...), but they apply a point of view based on their experiences (political, criminal, religious and family values) and of course if your life is spent strung out, in abusive relationships or chained up in Rikers your experience base becomes a little narrower.

With some it's gradeschool obvious ( "I'll take alcoholic female singers for $200" "...and the answer is 'who wrote a song about rehab clinics?' ") but I agree that if the artist covers their issues in the public eye it's less obvious to a casual listener - however when you know them personally it's a different matter. Amy W couldn't write a lyric about fluffy bunny wabbits if her life depended on it, neither could Amy L write about being a US Ranger in Iraq - and it's nothing to do with 'musical style'. You can't dream something you can't imagine, and you can't write about it either. It's one of the reasons collaborative lyrics often seem to appeal to a wider audience, as they're a melt of multiple points of view on the same subject. They may still flow as a single point of view in the song, but with wider boundaries than one person can operate inside.

Creepshow says Evanescence (the old band) isn't Christian, but of course they were. The members were, and a band is nothing more than the sum of its parts buffed by a few million dollars worth of people like me. No, they didn't go off all Creed and write albums praising Lord God Almighty, but their points of view were all taken from their upbringing and life experiences - hence no songs about being satanists, Hindus or sheepfucking psycho Welshmen. Instead, lyrics about their demographic target primaries of teen love (looking for it, losing it, being confused by it, wanting it, not wanting it...getting it and regretting it) and death (life after it, loss over it, the tax implications of it etc.). Reincarnation as a hamster? no.

Of course to the aforementioned demographic of stripey-legged tweens and mallgoths the surface lyrics appealed, we got album sales and everyone made cash (well, almost everyone). Underneath is a whole pile of stuff that only makes sense to a small group and it'll no doubt stay that way, but even with all the careful layers of marketing and psych targeting your mall-dwelling album purchaser does recognize 'an association to the artist' from the music they hear - it's intentional for sales and polished to within an inch of its life but if we wanted to turn it off we couldn't.

I have no problem with the idea of enjoying someone's music and not agreeing with their politics, religion or lifestyle - you're not being asked to accept them as a friend or move into their world, but you can't deny that the thing you're enjoying is a product of that world. Export sales maybe, but still a product.

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    AAAH, RUN AWAY!! THERES AN OPINION ON THE LOOSE!!!
    just kiddin. 4 months is a bit of a bump though, isnt it?

evanescence is a christian band in that the members are christian, and whether they intend it or not that influences their music. thats not to say they are some kind of evangelical nutjob group but undeniably their beliefs influence their music, which is neither a good or bad thing. it just is.

lol yeah, it is a big bump, but i felt the need to express my opinion, lol.
    I love the term evangelical nutjob, lol. thats fantastic. and you are right, you dont need to like him to admire him and enjoy his music.
    i completely understand what youre saying.
    yay!

Milla's Avatar Junior Member

Evanescence-its cool!!!!! Ive been in their concert in St.Petersburg....

+ Reply to Thread