+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When was the last time you went to a record store?

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default When was the last time you went to a record store?

So today i had some extra dough and decided to head on to the music shop and browse see if i find anything i like, when it hit me that the place was prety much empty hell i think some of the vinytl stacks had a bit of dust over em seemed like not to many people shop there anymore . I figure that with online downloading the town record store may be a thing of the past, wich is a shame, because I still like walkin in and browsing through hundreds of Cds and vinyl records. or arguing with the owner about how the beatles werent as good as evryone thought they were . So when was the last time you bought an actual CD instead of just downloading it off itunes or for free off somewhere else?. I personaly still prefer buying the CD or record mainly for the cool art on the covers

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Default Re: When was the last time you went to a record store?

its been a while since i last went to one, but thats only because im broke. i prefer to have the cds - for one it supports the artists and for two the cover books can be pretty cool. its been ages since i downloaded songs (literally years) but all of my cds are ripped onto my computer, which is basically my music central. my computer has only a few games, its just a big jukebox! lol.

CherryCola's Avatar King Of The Swing

about twise a week maybe more

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Too long ago. I think the last time I went actually shopping for music, I was selling some CDs at Amoeba, and the buyer guy started being a total dick about what I was selling. Why didn't I like so-and-so, what was wrong with such and such. My feeling was that I was letting someone else enjoy them. They were rare, but collecting dust in my collection. That's the problem with having stores like Amoeba in cool places like where I live. If I resell a CD I didn't particularly care for or whatever, I run the risk of having a guy from the band as the buyer. Awkward. Not that this is the reason I don't go back that often, but I never seem to get around to it. I actually listen to a lot of internet radio these days. I like the variety and having an outside party do the editorial arrangement. I have a good mp3 player, but I already know all those songs, so it isn't overwhelmingly enjoyable for very long. I don't download stolen music off the internet either.

Never anymore, now that you mention it. I've been buying a ton of used stuff off of amazon. It's just too easy and they have what I want 90% of the time. I-tunes has been picking up a lot more small labels too. I've found some rare stuff there.

There is a local shop where I buy tickets, but his selection sucks. I think it would be difficult to have the inventory to satisfy most people these days.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Probably to buy the last NIN album. Probably the next time will be to buy the new one.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

hmmmmm does buying a gift certificate for cds count? that would be christmas... other than that... years and years ago too broke and too addicted to the intarweb to go outside heh... (wait... whats outside again?)

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Last cd I bought was the latest Incubus album for my brother. I cant remember the name of it right now . . .

But for myself . . . sheesh awhile ago.

& we dont really have record stores where i live

we have wal mart.
    therefore, I download.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

mmmmmm incubus... *drool*

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

been a few months, but everything I buy is imports so I gotta go downtown but I go whenever possible I go or I mailorder them

man... i dunno, sometime last year.

there's one indie store i go to in hell's kitchen, since i want very specific things, they usually don't have 'em.

but sometime last year i did buy my first cd in years... FEAR!! i just had to have the song "fuck christmas"

i have some many fucking cd's i just don't bother anymore. i can't be arsed to download, it's just more technology to waste my time with... (i have friends obsessed with getting every _______ that they never listen to anymore, either. ironically, even thought they steal music, they end up spending more on cd's than anyone i know, because once they hear something they really like they want more... go figure.)

i'm just so apathetic about new music, even though i know there's lots of new stuff i'd love.

i agree with forrest about listening to non-corprate radio (internet, college, community) it's nice to be introduced to something new, or hear something you just wouldn't have thought of putting on... it's really enjoyable, like a home cooked meal that someone else made for you.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    mmmmmm incubus... *drool*
    Prefer Inkubus Sukkubus.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well a lot of the bands that I listen to are not-for-profit so they are moving towards phasing out CD's and just releasing thier music on thiere websites so anyone can DL them. And aside from that most of the other stuff I listen to is on small labels that people run out of thier houses so they only ship orders and don't put out enough Cd's to even be carried in any stores, expcet for maybe local shops in the town that they live.

Lately I've been buying a lot of old out of print vinyl records off ebay. There is a local shop called Toxic Ranch Records here that I really like and support, and I've been wanting to go there recently, but I just haven't had the free time or been in the area during store hours.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I went to a record store just last sunday.... I haven't bought a cd in a while though. I prefer cds to itunes; mostly because I don't ownmy own computer, but reallly because I love the feeling of buying a shiny new record or CD, and spending way too much at the record store

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i hink i went to the record store yesterday, or the day before, didnt buy anything though.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I love the feeling of buying a shiny new record or CD, and spending way too much at the record store
    this is the main reason i still shop at the record stores, i mean i have itunes buit theres something about being able to hold your purchase, rather than just have the data on your computer. or maybe im weird

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

that and paying a dollar for music that you can get for free.

I have no problem with paying lots for cd's, I want to hear more of what I like and musicians slow down when they're busy wasting time getting the rent paid

Okay.

Gig friday I bought 2 CD's by local artist GG Alan Bindig at his show (I already had both but I got them for my new girlie cause she wasn't here).

The week before I purchased everything I could from Black Ice's website, including their vinyl EP, two CD's and I got a badge and some posters!

Purchased a couple of CD's, a pill box and the poster from Surgeon-X online.

Grabbed a few more local CD's from Big Star last friday (which I try and visit twice a week during my lunch break, and if my record player FUCKING WORKED I'd probably buy alot more vinylfrom there.

I love owning CD's.

CD's are cool

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    this is the main reason i still shop at the record stores, i mean i have itunes buit theres something about being able to hold your purchase, rather than just have the data on your computer. or maybe im weird
    that's not wierd at all. I will never buy itunes. it just doesn't seem fun at all.

no, not fun at all

BlutEngel's Avatar Junior Member

I haven't been in a record store for almost 4 months :O

Quote Originally Posted by BlutEngel
    I haven't been in a record store for almost 4 months :O
    I think I'd have to be dead to not head to a record store in that long.

That said, I don't REALLY have to head to them considering I write for a local street mag that can pretty much keep me supplied but only with the more mainstream gear I guess. Did snag the last Lab 4 from them though - terrible fucking remixes of the Perfect Drug ... *shudders*

CherryCola's Avatar King Of The Swing

our local shop just swapped management and now it blows.
    I think im going to have to order online even though i dont want to.
    i want to build on my wildhearts collection

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i work at a bookstore that also had movies and music, does that count? i get a merch credit every month so i;m buying CDs there half the time anyway. As for a real record store, i was prolly in there a month and a half ago to get the new skinny puppy.

I wholeheartedly agree with getting satisfaction from holding that new CD or record, too. downloading's not the same, i haven't downloaded anything in quite a while (prolly a couple of years).

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Well, I rarely have money to buy fun stuff, but I purchase all my music in cd form. As a matter of fact, that and the radio are the only ways I have to listen to music. The last cd was...well maybe a couple of months or so ago. Maybe a few... and I believe it was the Violent Femmes.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

oh gawd i feel so bad i havent been to a record store for over 15 years the last one was called rainbow records but they went out of buisness hmm i think 14 years ago

i was a major columbia hoose and bmg record club sub guy i musta used up like 30 pennies being new guys after i get the 10 for free then get the collection letters

i keed i buy the required one cd for $20 i got nearly 1000 cds

i'm such a reto i dont listen to anything new it all scares me in fact my cuttoff date is somewhere in the 90s

of course i cant get enough of them tenacious d i bought their album but its more of a comedy than a music album

+ Reply to Thread