+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comics..? Books..?

HollyGrave's Avatar Junior Member

Default Comics..? Books..?

I´m a curious one, so i wanna know:

What kind of comics are you into? Or Mangas, Animes or whatever? And does anyone know "Requiem - the Vampireknight"? Or what do you read in your free Time at all..?

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Comics..? Books..?

im not into any particular comic series, i think im a casual reader . Mainly when i go to the comic place i buy whatever has the coolest cover. Im mainly into the graphic novels tho because i enjoy a good long read some of my favs include Ronin by fran miller,Superman: the red son, V for Vendetta, and 30 Days Of Night is prety cool, its very reminecant of the silent hill video games

DeviantMommy's Avatar Mac Town down!

Actually,funny you started this thread..I just finished reading the episode of the Sandman where Dream dies and crying like a baby. lol
    So yeh,I love The Sandman...also Tank Girl,Johnny The Homocidal Maniac,the Hellraiser comics are awesome...I've really just scratched the surface of comics,I'm always looking for another great series,if anyone has any suggestions...

yeeeeaaahhh, tank girl really rocks!! and hellraiser.... hmmm... i only saw the films, here you can´t get the comics anywhere... or i´m to blind to find them..!

i´m really into manga-comics, i don´t know why, although i can´t take a fancy on the lifestyle and their music.. .but their comics are great..!! Also i loooove Horrorstories something like Stephen King or John Saul is the best!!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Too many to list. um. I really fell out of the comic book loop for a long time, and then got back in briefly, and then for lack of funds went out again, so I really don't know what's any good right now. the first issue of the Marvel Civil War was probably the last one I bought.

just a few off the top of my head that I don't have much of and would like to get more of in the future.

Cerebus (indy) - not much I can really say about this one, it's a viking aardvark.

Preacher (DC/ Vertigo) - After struggling and eventually losing his faith, a preacher in a small texas town gets drunk and tells everyone what he really thinks. The next day, hungover, he attempts to give a sermon to apologize and settle things with the disgruntled townsfolk. He never gets the chance because his chapel spontaniosuly explodes and he wakes up in the burning rubble to find that he has supernatural powers. With his white-trash ex-girlfreind, a foul mouthed Irish vampire and a road full of nazis, angels, demons and all mannor of crazy people, he goes on a quest to find God and ask him WTF is going on?

Blade of the Immortal (Dark Horse) - A translated import of the japanese comic, beatifully rendered in pencil and ink. It's the story of an outcast samurai warrior cursed with immortality. To relieve his burden he has to repent the 100 innocent people that he has killed by slaying 1,000 evil ones.

Satiate's Avatar Senior Member

I collect a great many... I got into comics via being a tomboy throughout elementary school... And it was with Wolverine/X-Men that I fell in love with the idea of things... Though currently I tend to follow artists rather than actual comic series now, I'm a big fan of Jae Lee and David Mack... And Kabuki as a whole... man, I LOVE everything in that series and I look forward to more...

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i used to read comics when i was growing up - my dad got me into them as a kid. recently ive really only been following comics put out by slave labor graphics. oh, and the occasional issue of "gloomcookie."

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I read lots of comics, im particularly fond of Marvel, and i read a few DC books from time to time (particularly Batman graphic novels and collections) Im also a huge fan of Alan Moore and have read pretty much all of his stuff (V for Vendetta being my favorite, and I'm also one of the few comic fans that liked the movie)

Preacher (DC/ Vertigo) - After struggling and eventually losing his faith, a preacher in a small texas town gets drunk and tells everyone what he really thinks. The next day, hungover, he attempts to give a sermon to apologize and settle things with the disgruntled townsfolk. He never gets the chance because his chapel spontaniosuly explodes and he wakes up in the burning rubble to find that he has supernatural powers. With his white-trash ex-girlfreind, a foul mouthed Irish vampire and a road full of nazis, angels, demons and all mannor of crazy people, he goes on a quest to find God and ask him WTF is going on?
    Morning Glory,that sounds fucking awesome! I'll have to remember that one.

Also,forgot to mention my recent delvings into The Walking Dead...those are also really good.

yeah Preacher is a great book, I dont think i read the last 10 or so issues though for whatever reason, ill have to hunt down the last collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

this sounds really cool, i think i saw this in my favourite comic store...

ah... does anyone of you know Deady - the Evil Teddy???

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I started out reading 2000ad, when I was younger. I then got into some of the darker ones (Dark Horse before it became mainstream - Give Me Liberty, Hard Boiled, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Robocop) as well as Marshal Law, and then the DC Elseworld stories started coming out, which tweaked my interest about alternative realities (Kal-El brought up as Bruce Wayne in Superman: Speeding Bullets; Batman becoming a Vampire in Batman: Red Rain; Catwoman being the Guardian of Gotham in the story of the same name; the influence of HP Lovecraft in Batman: The Doom the came to Gotham; this list could go on)
    Nowadays, my reading is limited to mostly the subject of horror (mostly werewolves) or things like that. I have Oh My Goth, Deady the Evil Teddy, Patrick the Wolf Boy (which you will notice is technically my Avatar, except that I modified it to look more like I would if I was him), Bear,

If you liked Oh My Goth and Deady, look for Voltaire's books What is Goth and Paint It Black!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

some vertigo tiltles and conan, used to buy lots more but ran out of space

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

ive been reading the UK comic 2000ad since 1988, fucking great stuff

At the moment im reading DMZ, Exterminators, Zombies vs Robots, Superman & Batman vs Aliens & Predator (im a sucker for a combo/team-up comic), American Virgin, and a heap more...

Lenore, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, The Phantom and I'm currently reading through the old TMNT Movies comics haha. Good fun with a joint in hand.

the old TMNT comics are bad ass. not the movie ones or the one's based on the shows, but the original black and white. damn, I'd like to get my hands on those I haven't seen a collected edition, but then I haven't really looked either.

the old TMNT comics are bad ass. not the movie ones or the one's based on the shows, but the original black and white. damn, I'd like to get my hands on those I haven't seen a collected edition, but then I haven't really looked either.
    I used to have the original stories in collected graphic novels, in black andwhite, then found them in colour. I even bought the Green-GreySponge-Suit Sushi Turtles which was a very funny piss-take of the film.

When they made the film and called it the Hero Turtles over here, I felt violated, like when they did a kid's version of Judge Dredd based on the film.

I do wish film makers would stick to the stories when crossing from comic to film. Prime example; Judge Dredd - apart from Dredd removing his helmet, Mean Machine Angel lasts about 5 minutes, whereas in the comics he is virtually indestructible! Fergie is meant to be a sub-human thug, not a computer nerd.

I'll stop being a Rules Monger, and let everyone get back to the thread subject.

naw, I agree. although I liked the first Ninja Turtles movie, it was a little on the lighter side, but it was also a little more realistic than the comics or the other movies that followed.

naw, I agree. although I liked the first Ninja Turtles movie, it was a little on the lighter side, but it was also a little more realistic than the comics or the other movies that followed.
    I did say I didn't like the first film, but the movie companies are notorious for "diluting" stories to make them more accessible to the younger viewers. This does piss off the fans of the original series (just look at the Adam West Batman compared to the Frank Miller Batman comic series, which I know came after Adam West, before people start saying that, but the original Batman was a lot darker than the 60s TV series)

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Currently, I'm reading 'Fullmetal Alchemist' and thinking of picking up 'Deathnote'.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I do wish film makers would stick to the stories when crossing from comic to film. Prime example; Judge Dredd - apart from Dredd removing his helmet, Mean Machine Angel lasts about 5 minutes, whereas in the comics he is virtually indestructible! Fergie is meant to be a sub-human thug, not a computer nerd.
    You have made my night, i am happy there is another dredd head here

i have heard recently HBO are gunna do Preacher as a tv series

fuck yeah, cocksucker. they can get the guys that do Deadwood. they'll fit right in perfectly.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

currently reading ohs host club ,and full metal alchemist.

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    You have made my night, i am happy there is another dredd head here

i have heard recently HBO are gunna do Preacher as a tv series
    From what I've heard, they are planning to do a Dredd 'cartoon' series, in the same way that they did the Max Steel/Starship Troopers CGI cartoons. I heard this a while back, when I first bought the Dredd vs Death game on the Gamecube. I don't know if they got any further than the planning stage,

Just in case anyone else is interested, this is one of the new t-shirts I want.
    [IMG]http://*******-637.vo.llnwd.net/00897/73/64/897504637_l.jpg[/IMG]

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

be interesting to see preacher in a tv series, they'd probably fuck it up though, especially if they got that milch guy to do it

If its HBO it might not be bad, they are a lot better at not fucking up good ideas for shows than most major networks.

agentbuzz's Avatar Junior Member

My friend who works in a comic shop introduced me to Bite Club a couple years ago and I've been a Vertigo fangirl ever since. I've been reading American Virgin and Y: The Last Man recently.

Also in the less cool, more dorky categories: Usagi Yojimbo, Elfquest, Path of the Assassin, and a long ass time ago I loved me some Sailor Moon.

i prefer this tshirt

have a look here for stuff that kicks ass
    http://www.termight.co.uk/
    like this

or this

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

man, I am sooooo out of the comics loop, the only reason I know of all of them is because I occasionally shelve the manga and graphic novels at work... on a related note, I'm going to see 300 today, hooray! And I've been thinking I should prolly follow the new stephen king gunslinger/ dark tower comic that just came out because i just love stephen king, although I should prolly read the actual books first, huh?

man, I am sooooo out of the comics loop, the only reason I know of all of them is because I occasionally shelve the manga and graphic novels at work... on a related note, I'm going to see 300 today, hooray! And I've been thinking I should prolly follow the new stephen king gunslinger/ dark tower comic that just came out because i just love stephen king, although I should prolly read the actual books first, huh?
    WHHAAAHH?? A Dark Tower Comic...I think I just creamed in my panties! When,when,when,where,where,where? And yes,you DEFINITELY need to read the books first..they'll change your life,I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    i prefer this tshirt

have a look here for stuff that kicks ass
    http://www.termight.co.uk/
    like this

or this
    Ah, Termight Replicas... They're the ones that do the Judge helmets, Strontium Dog helmets, badges and guns, and they're working on making a Rogue Trooper helmet, gun and backpack to use with the BioChips they do at the moment. I do fancy a set of ElectroNux and a Lawgiver as well as a Terminator badge (Torquemada's soldiers from Nemesis the Warlock)

Sorry to Geek out on you there.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviantMommy
    WHHAAAHH?? A Dark Tower Comic...I think I just creamed in my panties! When,when,when,where,where,where? And yes,you DEFINITELY need to read the books first..they'll change your life,I swear!
    I spotted that the other day in the local comic shop, thought about getting, but since it was the middle of the series, I didn't bother.

BlackLegion40K's Avatar Junior Member

next time your in a comic shop you should definitly checkout Spawn by Todd McFarlane, there pretty fucking awesome.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

we just got the dark tower comic in last night at work so I checked it out on my lunch break and it's pretty awesome.... I definately need to read the books. speaking of comics, etc. I went to see 300 yesterday too, that is one badass movie.

Yeh,just dl'd the first dark tower comic last night as well..it's kickass,beautiful art..I'm thinking about another tattoo now lol

Try reading Dork Tower. It's hilarious!

The Raven King's Avatar Junior Member

I love DarkHorse comics I think they produce some of the best stuff. I used to be an anime afficianado(helped start a club at college 9 years ago) out of the loop now tho.

great comic out at the moment is Chronicles of Wormwood, its about the antichrist and jesus being friends, hangin out in new york, and both deciding to not do what their parents said and have left the human race to decide their own fate instead of bringing about the apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by DeviantMommy
    Yeh,just dl'd the first dark tower comic last night as well..it's kickass,beautiful art..I'm thinking about another tattoo now lol
    what's your idea?

I haven't decided yet...there's so many great images in that comic..I think I'm gonna wait until I read the rest in the series to choose. I think a Roland tattoo would be sweet,I don't even know where I'd put it...I've just always wanted one since I read that series. Thinking about a few images from the illustrated books themselves actually..I have a picture under Books on my ******* of the scene from Eddie's dream and it's one of my favorites,maybe that covering one of my calves?

+ Reply to Thread