+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: To meat or not to meat?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default To meat or not to meat?

that is the question.....

How many of you are vegitarians? I have been meat free since my 13th birthday, I am 25 now. How about the rest of you?????

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: To meat or not to meat?

I tried that over 10 years ago & it was the sickest I have ever been. Went back to meat & no longer sick. Personally, I keep it in moderation but good vegan or vegitarian food is nice when prepared well.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I don't do so good without the meats.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i pretty much have to eat meat, or else i develop really bad anemia, but i always try to get either free range or kosher meat, because it isnt genetically altered or fed mass amounts of hormones.

Veggie burgers, represent.
    My mother raised me vegetarian, my father only gave me meat when I went to his home. The last time I ate meat I spit up. Too much imagery going on in my head when it goes down.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

im such a carnivore, i think one of the first threads i ever started on this site was "whats the tastiest animal?" but i love the veggies to brocoli is my favorite even tho alot of people think its gross

Satiate's Avatar Senior Member

my metabolism is so high, that if i don't sneak in meat... my muscles start breaking down... and yeah, as i get older, i have to keep an eye on my thyroid... but i mainly stick to chicken/fish... if i'm feeling particularlly weak, i'll get me some beef... and though i'm not jewish, i do avoid pork...

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

vegetarian for well over a year now, wouldn't have it any other way. i eat dairy and i eat eggs.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

MEAT

Can not live without it... I eat Bambi, and all of his friends.. hmmm rabbit stew with a venison steak.. I am salivating

Saucy Pirate Wench

i dunno if i count in the veggisaurus category. in fact I'm sure i don't. I eat birds and fishes and eggs and cheese. but no pigs and no cows. so kinda but not.

S

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think fur is a crime, I protest all the time
    you should see all my bumper stickers
    That Firestorm song sure gets me singing along
    My righteousness never flickers
    I think P.E.T.A. is swell and vivisectionists go to hell
    I live to fight the man
    And if there is ever a cause with no dietary laws
    I'll be the first to take a stand

I know I could be the best vegan the world's seen
    It's such a shame my doctor says I can't because I need the protein
    What's right or what's wrong is not a tough decision
    But animal torture is a part of my new religion
    Hey, you know that I am down with what it's about
    Did I happen to mention I need the strength to work out?
    Because I am building up muscle, I'm a growing boy
    Such a cruel twist of fate, I'm allergic to soy

The animals, I see their pain with ease
    But don't expect me to give up pizza with cheese

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Start most days with a bacon-n-blood-sausage toastie, so I'm guessing that stops me from being vegan, to some extent. It's amusing when there's a veggie staying over though, as there's nothing to prompt early morning politics than the sound of frying body parts.

(note to self on that last bit : wear an apron more often...)

mG

Personally, the whole deal with not eating meat = you're weak/your muscles shrivel is kinda lame. I'm by no means ripped, but i'm pretty active physically. I like to run, lift weights, fight in the sca etc. My muscles are all pretty healthy and i'm stronger then when I used to eat meat.

Just depends if you're a smart vegetarian and eat your soy products/cheeses/eggs/breads etc.Vegetarian for almost 2 years ^^

DeviantMommy's Avatar Mac Town down!

I'm definetly not a vegetarian,but I do love me some veggies! I won't really get started on the animal rights thing because Penn and Teller already prettymuch summed up how I feel on their PETA episode of Bullshit. If you haven't seen it..(even if your a vegan),it may piss you off,but it's fact based and it was very enlightening to me,you should check it out..that was a great show.

But the bottom line to me is..animals eat animals..why shouldn't I be able to?

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Personally, the whole deal with not eating meat = you're weak/your muscles shrivel is kinda lame. I'm by no means ripped, but i'm pretty active physically. I like to run, lift weights, fight in the sca etc. My muscles are all pretty healthy and i'm stronger then when I used to eat meat.

Just depends if you're a smart vegetarian and eat your soy products/cheeses/eggs/breads etc.Vegetarian for almost 2 years ^^
    considering that i ate very well and a great vegetarian diet, i will tell you... certain people like me, need to eat meat... i ate soy products, extra protein supplements, etc. but again, i have a high metabolism... and so you understand, i played on both volleyball and basketball teams, where not only was i extremely active, but i was involved in heavy training... (including weight rooms and hard cardio work outs) i was a vegetarian for two years, and all it took was for my body's metabolism to change and speed to the point where i needed to eat meat... i noticed an improvement and how my metabolism evened out after that i've incorporated meat back in my diet...

yes it may be "lame," but it's fact... everyone's body is different, chemically...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

bad for the economy, highly processed food means jobs for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by DeviantMommy
    But the bottom line to me is..animals eat animals..why shouldn't I be able to?
    that's a pretty tricky statment in that it seems to be factual based, but really isn't. not all animals do eat other animals, in fact, most don't. differnt animals have different nutritional needs and different body chemistry and their behaviour is geared toward survival in thier paricular habitat and based on the other species that live there. people have the abilty to not have to live soley reliant on these factors and have a choice about them. The simplest arguement for why you shouldn't eat meat is because you don't have to. that's kinda where I set my bottom line. beyond that is taking into account moral, ethical and philosophical reasoning, and the fact that industrial farming is really bad for the environment and for people as well. It requires huge ammounts of resources to sustain which could directly go toward human benefit (how's that for a point you human supremcists?), including land that could go toward reducing overpopulation and dispossesed people, growth of crops to feed the hungry, and other uses. We could be energy independent if we used the grain that is fed to livestock toward making fuel alcohol. It employs all mannor of toxic chemicals and waste by-products that are going straight into the food you eat and also back into the water and the soil. just to name a few.

also the argument that plyaing sports is an excuse for not being a vegetarian is bullshit. you're the one that chose to live a lifestyle that is pushing your body harder and exeeding the normal amount of phsyical exertion that is recomended by nutrionists and doctors to have a balanced life, so yes, that makes you require a diet that is higher in calories and it's easier to eat high fat diets to achiece that. (but still not even neccesary because there are many people that still do it and don't eat meat.) don't blame vegetarianism for that and credit that as why it "doesn't work." you don't have to do that, that was your choice.

The Raven King's Avatar Junior Member

I was raised in a house with a vegetarian mom and a texan carnivore dad. So I can cook for vegetarians and meat eaters. The Vegitarian culinary skills are going to waste cus everyone I know eats meat or is vegan and that's beyond my comprehension. Thanks again mom and dad!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I will have to raise my hand and say "Hi, my name is Johno and I'm a Carnivore!"
    I don't think I could do too well without the flesh of another animal. In the past year I have eaten various things from Wild Boar, Kangaroo, to the more normal chicken, beef, bacon/ham/pork and duck. Though I'm not a fan of Fish. To be honest, if someone put a plate of meat infront of me, I'd try it. And if they said afterward they said "That was Rat/Cat/Dog/'Long-Pig' on that plate!" I'd probably say something along the lines of "Really? Got any more?" if I liked it.

I've got friends that are Vegetarian and Vegan, and I don't have a problem with that. I just think it's limiting your choices for food. I've found a chocolate sweet that Vegans can eat (in Britain) They're called Raspberry Ruffles! Just for you people that want to go vegan, ut still want chocolate.

DeviantMommy's Avatar Mac Town down!

k,wow I'm not even going to get into an argument about this because,honestly I respect vegetarians. I guess I just don't have that kind of will power,and it's not really my highest priority honestly. I should eat better,and I shouldn't smoke and I should excercise more,it's something I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    also the argument that plyaing sports is an excuse for not being a vegetarian is bullshit. you're the one that chose to live a lifestyle that is pushing your body harder and exeeding the normal amount of phsyical exertion that is recomended by nutrionists and doctors to have a balanced life, so yes, that makes you require a diet that is higher in calories and it's easier to eat high fat diets to achiece that. (but still not even neccesary because there are many people that still do it and don't eat meat.) don't blame vegetarianism for that and credit that as why it "doesn't work." you don't have to do that, that was your choice.
    yes, there are many people who can and most people who can balance it IF they don't have thyroid issues... because, for example, in my case, i did go with what my nutritionist and doctor did recommend me... (both of which were vegetarian)... and i refused to give up playing sports, which make me happy, to either continue being a vegetarian and be put on chemicals to balance my thyroid... or incorporate meat back in my diet and avoid the extra harsher chemicals for hopefully a few more years... i've actually met, a couple of people in my life whom it's not worked for because of very similiar issues... what's good for some, isn't always good for others...

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I enjoy my dead cow muscle. Its the god damned most tasty thing ever!

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I don't do so good without the meats.

i agree...i'm a carnivore, not an herbivore ;P

I've been known to say, when asked this question, "I'm a Humanitarian! I won't eat anything else!"

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I'm allergic to soy + lack the discepline to not eat meat. I work out daily and having a high protein diet is a big part of my routine.

I think it's great that there are people out there who can give up meat as a whole. More power to them just like those who choose not to smoke.

I've been a pretty strict vegetatian for 13 years (Since I was 18). I don't miss it at all. I'm still thin and most my friends got fat, and what was the difference? Uhm... maybe because I'm not carrying 20lbs. of undigested animal in my belly.

Although I think everybody is entitled to do and eat what they will.

I think if most people actully had to kill their food they would become vegitarians. Meat factories are absolutely repugnant.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Meat factories are absolutely repugnant.
    That may be true, but what comes out is tasty as all hell

I've been a pretty strict vegetatian for 13 years (Since I was 18). I don't miss it at all. I'm still thin and most my friends got fat, and what was the difference? Uhm... maybe because I'm not carrying 20lbs. of undigested animal in my belly.

Although I think everybody is entitled to do and eat what they will.

I think if most people actully had to kill their food they would become vegitarians. Meat factories are absolutely repugnant.
    being someone who's eaten meat bought in stores and that of which i've personally fished or hunted for... i prefer the taste of my own farm fed or wild game meat over that which is store bought... unfortunately, i can't go hunting in hollywood... well, i could, be i think i'd get in trouble...

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

im made of meat

Quote Originally Posted by Satiate
    being someone who's eaten meat bought in stores and that of which i've personally fished or hunted for... i prefer the taste of my own farm fed or wild game meat over that which is store bought... unfortunately, i can't go hunting in hollywood... well, i could, be i think i'd get in trouble...
    I totally respect that. If you kill it and clean it yourself then you've earned it. To each their own, I stand behind that. You know what I'm saying though right? I know people who can't stand seeing animals killed and cleaned yet are meat eaters. I think that's cheating, and does not really show respect to me.

I totally respect that. If you kill it and clean it yourself then you've earned it. To each their own, I stand behind that. You know what I'm saying though right? I know people who can't stand seeing animals killed and cleaned yet are meat eaters. I think that's cheating, and does not really show respect to me.
    Well, my family are mainly French/Indian Cajun/Creole blends, if you will... I have family members that still live in swamps/bayous and/or on reservations... No one is into hunting for "sport"... When the animals are hunted, every part of the animal is used... The animal is respected, if you will, spiritually... You only hunt what you can eat...

But again, with my background, my family pretty much eats everything (and let me stress, there's pretty much nothing "sacred")... But unless I become a cannibal, which I hear is illegal, or I drive hours out of my way... It's not really feasible for me to hunt/fish... Plus, if you've seen some of the waters around Los Angeles... you'd not want to fish out here...

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    im made of meat
    Then don't end up on a plate infront of me...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I have problems with people who don't understand where meat comes from, and understand the process. People should have to see how those animals live, and how they die.

I'm one of those people who thinks the factory farming is pretty lame.
    It's not a great life for those animals.

But the way I look at meat-eating, is that I see it as part of nature. Animals kill each other, and eat each other. And it's not usually pretty, or pleasant. But my main concern, is not the death of the animal, but the life of the animal. I don't like the idea of animals suffering through a crappy life in a stockyard, waiting for the slaughterhouse. But if a cow is out in the pasture all it's life, eating, fucking, wandering around, having a good life, I have no problem with eating that cow. We are predators, just like any other predator. All animals die. So I have a hard time understanding the mega-hardcore vegans, etc. If a cow dies of natural causes, you would not eat it? Why not? The whole concept is against the natural way of things. I totally support the people who want to do something about the conditions of the animals. That's totally cool. But not eating meat? Why? The only thing we are doing, is determining the animal's time of death, instead of waiting for it to die of natural causes. But as long as that animal has a good life, and a happy life, I don't have a problem with it...

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Like many of you I am not necessarily morally opposed to meat eating. It just grosses me out. It always has. Since as long as I can remember I would pick at my meat and stare at the veins in chicken and watch the fat wobble when I was cleaning the meat to cook. When my parents had enough of my complaining they asked with sarcasm 'then why don't u become a vegitarian?'. They would 'allow it' once I was 13, so that date marks the last time I ate meat :-)

Ramble ramble

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I like a lot of veggie foods, so I eat them a lot of the time.
    Boca burgers, fake Chick-N-Nuggets, stuff like that.
    My vegan friends turn me on to that stuff.
    I figure it reduces my impact a little bit.

But I still have no problem with eating meat,
    and I don't have a problem with other people doing it.
    I just think we eat way too much of it in America.
    But hey, some good meat can be mighty tasty.
    Sushi = yum!

well the thing is in nature there is what's called the food chain. I think that everyone knows what that is and how it works. hopefully. There's a relationship between predator and prey. But Industrial eating takes that away, it reduces the whole process into a mechanized assembly line production and consumption. How does it feel to be a real international diner? because chances are that everything you are eating didn't come from within a 100 miles of where you live. It really isn't anything like wild nature except in reflection. It's like fucking a blow-up doll and calling it making love. There's a lot more to it, but that's a nut-shell of the philosophy of veganism.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

ive never realy had a big problem with eating meat since i grew up on a farm and have had to help my dad and uncles slaughter animals for when we throw family get togethers. hell i have a fridge in the garage with an entire cow we butchered last month, we dont buy our meat from the store we just go to the backyard evry couple of months and kill a cow or a pig. To me its normal and theres nothing anyone can say that will make me think it is wrong. I mean thats what farm animals are raised for they are products not pets.

so are you. bring me the head of kilatomik!

+ Reply to Thread