+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: getting pierced by piercing gun

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default getting pierced by piercing gun

If you went to your local piercing shop to get your earlobe, ear cartiledge, or nostril pierced with a piercing gun...and the piercer tells you they don't use a piercing gun and the dangers behind it, just a needle... would you walk away and go to the mall to get it done by gun anyway, because you're afraid of needles?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: getting pierced by piercing gun

The guns scare me a lot more than the needles.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I agree with Forrest

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

If you're scared of needles then I'd expect you should be scared of guns too - unless you're too daft to realize it's a needle with a trigger grip.

I'd be more impressed that the dude had thought about it and was prepared to explain it to a customer, than to get someone who'd learnt enough to say "sit y'ass down and lemme git this puppy fired up..."

poison's Avatar Senior Member

i'd be a lot happier being pierced with a needle than a piercing gun.

when i got my nose pierced i was asked by my piercer (who later became my friend) which method of piercing i would prefer; needle or gun?. He seemed relieved when i choose needle and explained to me that piercing guns should never be used in cartlidge piercings because of the higher risk that the cartlidge will shatter under the pressure.

so far all my piercings have been done using needles and not guns. My unlucky friend got her ear pierced using a gun and unfortunately had to put up with the needle in it breaking twice in attempts to pierce.

Needles are alot more sterile I think.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

Needles are more sterile and a lot less painful, I am scared to DEATH of needles seriously, but i got my ears pierced again at a 10 gauge and it didn't hurt at all it was just like someone pinching your ear really hard and no loud noise to make you jump like with the gun.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'd go for a needle, which usually requires someone that has some skill and experience doing peircings, as opposed to the sixteen year old at Claires Boutique that was told "just press the button."

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I prefer the needles, and since you can hear the snap of the gun, you are more likely to jump, causing a mis-alligned piercing.

DeviantMommy's Avatar Mac Town down!

I'd go for a needle, which usually requires someone that has some skill and experience doing peircings, as opposed to the sixteen year old at Claires Boutique that was told "just press the button."
    Hey,I resent that..I work there! No,j/k..I want to be a professional piercer more than anything,using that archaic hole puncher is actually my least favorite part of the job at Claire's. It's so hard to gauge where your actually piercing,you have so much less control of the way it comes out. Besides,there's absolutely no art to it,it's so mechanical and impersonal,like a piercing drive though..I feel like asking people if they'd like some fries w/ that...supersize you?

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

yep... guns scare me, all my piercings have been done with a needle, with the exception of my earlobes which were done back in 8th grade and before i knew any better

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

yup... piercing guns are icky. you cant put them in the autoclave or anything, cant sterilize them properly... ew.
    i had both sets of my earlobe piercings done when i was like 6 and maybe 10 ... not sure exactly how old i was, but around those years... i remember it stinging so bad the rest of the day...ow.

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

someone who is wielding a needle is much more likely to know what they're doing than someone with a gun, plus a needle actually removes tissue to replace it with jewelry rather than just displacing it, which puts less stress on your body and heals much better, AND it's generally more sterile. that's what i tell people eight thousand times a day when they come into the shop where i work and are horrified to find out we use needles (which makes me wonder what they think was used to get the staple in my neck).

i recommend looking for a fakir-trained piercer in your area, who will use deep breathing techniques (much like lamaze) to put you at ease. failing a fakir-trained piercer, you can always check out the Association of Professional Piercers (APP) for a recognized piercer in your area: http://www.safepiercing.org/

ahh... i wish i was trained by fakir musifar... i love that guy... hes the king...

People say piercing guns are cleaner because you're using a "fresh needle" everytime, but who's to say the actual gun is sterile? Using needles, you need a whole new set of sterile equipment (needle, gloves, etc) The gun just seems to be a Mass Produced item so any idiot can punch a hole in someone's skin.

We have a pair of excellent piercers here in Newcastle, at PX Piercing. They only use needles, and they have been doing it for years. They know what they ae doing. It's like tattooists. You can tell how good an artist they are by their own skin ink. If they have very little, then odds are they're only in the businees to get the money, and don't care about the quality of what they do. Peter & Margaret both have quite a few visible percings and probably quite a few more personal ones, so I feel quite confident about going to them.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

i dont like calling it a gun

its sounds much cooler when you are "pierced by a machine"

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

ive had my piercings done by both needle and gun. the needle was a more enjoyable experience. and healing up afterwards went better with just a needle, part of which might have been due to the type of jewelry used(captive ring versus stud).

Needles by far. Always used needles to pierce, always will. You know, you can go to any beauty supply store, and buy the gun,and anyone can use one. But who wants something so personal done in an impersonnel way?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

needle, the guns hurt like hell and almost never heal right. That and one of my friends got syphilis from a gun.

eww!!! thats narsty... i had no idea the piercing guns were THAT gross! wow!

CrushCuties's Avatar Junior Member

I always thought it was an embarrassment for anyone who calls themselves a professional piercer to use a gun, no?

I would think that would be a tell-tale sign of an amateur.

Annabel Elaine's Avatar Mistress of disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by CrushCuties
    I always thought it was an embarrassment for anyone who calls themselves a professional piercer to use a gun, no?

I would think that would be a tell-tale sign of an amateur.
    Yep, im in training for said art at the moment. my first earlobe piercing was done with a gun at the mall, i was five and it never healed quite right (i had to let it grow over and do it again later) Needles are far safer and actualy hurt less than the gun (i have had seven done with needles).

All this said by someone who fears needles (doctors kind) so badly that i "flip out" and bite people!

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    eww!!! thats narsty... i had no idea the piercing guns were THAT gross! wow!
    well in all honesty thats a pretty rare occurrence, my freind just got really, really unlucky.

hehee no shit... but you never know which piercing gun has the extra gross stuff on it, as opposed to the regular gross stuff!

RAGE's Avatar A wolf among wolves

Trained needle nerd (me) feels that:

1. Guns = big no no. And far worse than a tribevel hypodermic needle because its a blunt stud that is generally used, making the effect of a puncture wound rather than a quick, clean slice. Which in turn causes more stress and trauma to the piercing site than needed.

2. ESPECIALLY for cartilage piercing. As the needle used for the piercing needs to be a gauge lower (thicker) than the jewelry your putting in. (meaning if you want 14g jewelry, a 12g needle is preferable. This is to give the wound room to scar without a "cauliflower" effect. Trust me, not pretty.

3. Being that a fresh needle should be used for each piercing, the "fresh needle" used in a gun is a bogus claim toward hygeine. Especially since, as mentioned, the gun cant really be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

4. In reality, regardless of needle phobias... A nice, sharp tri-bevel hypodermic needle in the hands of a competant, trained piercist is likely to hurts loads less than a stud gun in the hands of a trigger happy amee behind the counter of a mall counter. And potentially heal with less hassle or trauma. (no cauliflower sprouts on your ears. XP )

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I would always go with the needle. One caveat: Try to check the piercer's rep. I had a lip piercing which took three pushes (and it never took more than one before) I had an adrenaline rush for about 3 hours. Finally sucked down some daquiris (I rarely drink) So, unless ur a pain junkie, always check the piercer's track record.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I would always go with the needle. One caveat: Try to check the piercer's rep. I had a lip piercing which took three pushes (and it never took more than one before) I had an adrenaline rush for about 3 hours. Finally sucked down some daquiris (I rarely drink) So, unless ur a pain junkie, always check the piercer's track record.

OEC

WTF?!

Three pushes for a lip piercing? For ANY piercing?

... I'd have punched him/her... But thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE

WTF?!

Three pushes for a lip piercing? For ANY piercing?

... I'd have punched him/her... But thats just me.
    It crossed my mind.

OEC

It crossed my mind.

OEC
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why a lip piercing might possibly result in three pushes...

The only thing that comes to mind is a piercing horror situation:

Dull/blunt needle, no lube... Or lubed gloves instead of needle...

Sewing needle?

Amatuer trying to pierce freehand and losing hold on lip?

Or using wrong side of needle... Or piercing with an ice pick...

Or maybe piercing with a knitting needle? Or a pencil. Or maybe...

... Nah, I'd have had to punch them for sure. I cant even comprehend how they'd be that shitty with a needle. Those suckers are sharp as hell.

ex of sharpness: You dont need to pierce to get a cut, you can use the suckers like a tiny scalpel. My finger was sliced open week before last by one while trying to give Managarm his SubQ fluid treatment.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why a lip piercing might possibly result in three pushes...

The only thing that comes to mind is a piercing horror situation:

Dull/blunt needle, no lube... Or lubed gloves instead of needle...

Sewing needle?

Amatuer trying to pierce freehand and losing hold on lip?

Or using wrong side of needle... Or piercing with an ice pick...

Or maybe piercing with a knitting needle? Or a pencil. Or maybe...

... Nah, I'd have had to punch them for sure. I cant even comprehend how they'd be that shitty with a needle. Those suckers are sharp as hell.

ex of sharpness: You dont need to pierce to get a cut, you can use the suckers like a tiny scalpel. My finger was sliced open week before last by one while trying to give Managarm his SubQ fluid treatment.
    In fairness, I do have a thick lip. My sense is his hand slipped. He seemed to be trying to "jimmy" it through. He tried to play it off. Bullshit. It has never taken more than one push. Loose hold, possibly dull needle. I was in no position to really analyze it. It hurt like hell though. Luckily, I have a bit of a manic response to pain. I was more "juiced" than angry. When asked, I have recommended locals here not use this piercer. For others, it would probably be traumatic.

OEC

P.S. On a sidenote: My Dentist claimed that tongue piercings can cause serious gum and dental problems. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have never had one personally.

P.S. On a sidenote: My Dentist claimed that tongue piercings can cause serious gum and dental problems. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have never had one personally.
    Not likely if you follow proper hygeine.

The general idea is that a tongue or lip piercing will cause receeding gum lines and lead to other issues. The other is the issue of chipping your teeth on the jewelry.

The latter is more of a common concern, especially for individuals with tongue piercings or labret jewelry. You can definately chip your teeth on the jewelry, as soon as able (after swelling and reasonable time for healing) make sure to get properly fitted jewelry to reduce that risk.

The tongue isnt so much an issue as labret jewelry though, as your back teeth (more likley to bite down on tongue jewelry) arent as easy to chip as your front teeth (prone to biting down on labret jewelry.)

Frankly, I rarely see the former issue. And when I do, its generally with people already pre-disposed to the issue (smokes or does dip, poor dental hygeine, uses stiff brissled brushes that irritate their gums, ect.)

Not likely if you follow proper hygeine.

The general idea is that a tongue or lip piercing will cause receeding gum lines and lead to other issues. The other is the issue of chipping your teeth on the jewelry.

The latter is more of a common concern, especially for individuals with tongue piercings or labret jewelry. You can definately chip your teeth on the jewelry, as soon as able (after swelling and reasonable time for healing) make sure to get properly fitted jewelry to reduce that risk.

The tongue isnt so much an issue as labret jewelry though, as your back teeth (more likley to bite down on tongue jewelry) arent as easy to chip as your front teeth (prone to biting down on labret jewelry.)

Frankly, I rarely see the former issue. And when I do, its generally with people already pre-disposed to the issue (smokes or does dip, poor dental hygeine, uses stiff brissled brushes that irritate their gums, ect.)
    I suspected as much. Thanks for the info. I forced him to concede on the lip piercing at least. I've never been into tongue rings per se.

OEC

I've heard some horror stories and seen pictures of people who have had their navel peirced with a GUN! Looked nasty!

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

On a sidenote: My Dentist claimed that tongue piercings can cause serious gum and dental problems. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have never had one personally.

my dentist recently said that in addition to the whole chipped tooth from the jewelry that there is a risk of the stud creating a frelling hole in the roof of my mouth. ive had my tongue done for over ten years now and have never noticed any changes to the roof of my mouth from it.

I think some dentists just try to say whatever they can to make people not get pierced heh... yeah theyre IS a risk of getting chipped teeth or whatever, but you ahve to take care of your piercing and your teeth... duh! i want to get 2 rings in one side of my lip, i wouldnt let them chip my teeth or anything :S
    then again my teeth are absolute shite right now... so who knows what would happen hahaa my teeth on that side would probably disintegrate... BUT then i could get dentures yaaaay!!! sometiems im tempted to just get every tooth removed and get complete dentures hahaa... its that bad heh...

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Needles are alot more sterile I think.

yes they are, the point is that needles are single use and can be sterilized, the gun can't be sterilized, just wiped

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    The guns scare me a lot more than the needles.

I would think the teenager holding the gun would scare someone more than a needle too though

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    I think some dentists just try to say whatever they can to make people not get pierced heh... yeah theyre IS a risk of getting chipped teeth or whatever, but you ahve to take care of your piercing and your teeth... duh! i want to get 2 rings in one side of my lip, i wouldnt let them chip my teeth or anything :S
    then again my teeth are absolute shite right now... so who knows what would happen hahaa my teeth on that side would probably disintegrate... BUT then i could get dentures yaaaay!!! sometiems im tempted to just get every tooth removed and get complete dentures hahaa... its that bad heh...
    I agree, I think a majority of dentists HATE oral piercings... at least from my experience

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    my dentist recently said that in addition to the whole chipped tooth from the jewelry that there is a risk of the stud creating a frelling hole in the roof of my mouth. ive had my tongue done for over ten years now and have never noticed any changes to the roof of my mouth from it.

I've seen this often... you should change the barbell to a smaller one after initial healing time, you start off with a long one because of the swelling that usually occurs after the piercing

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I've heard some horror stories and seen pictures of people who have had their navel peirced with a GUN! Looked nasty!

that's terrible!!

+ Reply to Thread