+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I may be totally off base here..

shiki's Avatar nappy headed ho

Default I may be totally off base here..

but as I've perused the site and seen so many sexy sexy ladies...I just happened to notice that there aren't many (or any) blacks in the blueblood erotica sections...Why is this? Is it that the majority of blacks are not into this alternative lifestyle? or the alternative lifestyle doesn't like blacks as far as erotica goes? Not trying to start a race war, just interested in what is going on.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: I may be totally off base here..

i think its just because there happens to be no black BB models... ive noticed that too now that you mention it.

we must recruit some hotties!

Haven't met many attractive black goth woman who could be BB models.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Shiki, I enjoy your posts in general, so I hope you will not take offense at this. I've got a horrible summer cold right now and I feel like death in a blender, so please forgive me if this sounds snippier than I would like.

I think people should be judged on their merit. I absolutely loathe the defective judgments where people want to know someone's ethnic or religious or racial or socioeconomic background in order to decide what they think of that person. The same thing goes for the wolf-in-sheep's clothing pseudo-feminist argument about photographic subjects of different sizes.

Is it really politically correct to point a finger at someone I, or another Blue Blood photographer, has immortalized and go "so-and-so is black" and "check out the fat chick"???? Is that really what people are looking for with this line of reasoning? I am absofuckinglutely NOT going to start singling people out for things like race and asking what % black someone has to be for someone to count it. I don't like people for their heritage; I like them for who they are right now, in the present, they themselves, not their parents, not their grandparents, not their country of origin. The only correct response to this line of inquiry is not to respond, as there is no good answer because it is just a wrong-headed question on so many levels.

Incidentally, although it is fine if folks want to participate in the BlueBlood.net forums for free, but they are really not the place to form an impression of Blue Blood nude photography. If you are looking for that, there are currently 78,067 photos on BlueBlood.com and folks who would like to do a more thorough statistical breakdown on their best guess demographics are welcome to pony up $6.66. I'm sure including religious background, gender, country of origin, sexual preference, and shirt size, along with race, in any statistics would be very helpful to someone who totally misses the whole concept of the eroticism of self-actualization and individualism.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Shiki, I enjoy your posts in general, so I hope you will not take offense at this. I've got a horrible summer cold right now and I feel like death in a blender, so please forgive me if this sounds snippier than I would like.

I think people should be judged on their merit. I absolutely loathe the defective judgments where people want to know someone's ethnic or religious or racial or socioeconomic background in order to decide what they think of that person. The same thing goes for the wolf-in-sheep's clothing pseudo-feminist argument about photographic subjects of different sizes.

Is it really politically correct to point a finger at someone I, or another Blue Blood photographer, has immortalized and go "so-and-so is black" and "check out the fat chick"???? Is that really what people are looking for with this line of reasoning? I am absofuckinglutely NOT going to start singling people out for things like race and asking what % black someone has to be for someone to count it. I don't like people for their heritage; I like them for who they are right now, in the present, they themselves, not their parents, not their grandparents, not their country of origin. The only correct response to this line of inquiry is not to respond, as there is no good answer because it is just a wrong-headed question on so many levels.

Incidentally, although it is fine if folks want to participate in the BlueBlood.net forums for free, but they are really not the place to form an impression of Blue Blood nude photography. If you are looking for that, there are currently 78,067 photos on BlueBlood.com and folks who would like to do a more thorough statistical breakdown on their best guess demographics are welcome to pony up $6.66. I'm sure including religious background, gender, country of origin, sexual preference, and shirt size, along with race, in any statistics would be very helpful to someone who totally misses the whole concept of the eroticism of self-actualization and individualism.
    I think the line of inquiry is relevant but not to BB. The sites I've done, country of origin and the diversity therein is a story that has to be told. These matters are important to advancing societies and cultures which have more pronounced historical mores against some of the stuff you do here.

Anyways, it's OT but on a more sociopolitical level I hope you understand. In short, BB is at a more advanced stage in a liberal society. Many other folks struggle with more severe forms of discrimination.

In short, it's a subject that we could address albeit it isn't fair or proper to point the finger at your endeavor.

Jackie T

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I would say that I agree 99% with you Amelia.

That one percent is where I'd say all the things you said, and then add But...

(Note that this is in no way at all representative of you and Forrest, and really doesn't have much to do with BB either, but is relative to the larger issue that I see presented in this topic.)

When you have a case, such as our society does, that has a history of oppression and destruction particularly based on racial and ethnic lines, personal identity is very skewed, especially for members of those said groups. When someone that wishes to establish a connection to a heritage, a connection that there forefathers and mothers were separated from against their choosing, I think it is something that is important to recognize. I find it to be really off base when a person (and let's just be upfront here, and say a white person) tells a (black) person that we are now a colorblind society, and that they are part of the problem by refusing to give up a racial identity. I find that to be patronizing and just a continuation of the same underlying racist attitudes that previously said white people held the sole monopoly on racial identity and now are solely responsible for stopping racism and enacting "color blindness."
    It's not up to white people how black people see themselves. That's what it really comes down to.

Likewise, as a white person, I think that it would be just as bad for me to dismiss and not learn about my own cultural and ancestral roots out of the same sense of racial harmony. What is lost here in this age of political correctness is what it previously meant to define ourselves as a people. What defined a group of people was intimately tied to the land and the people that lived there, and the values that it spawned that created a culture and a way of perceiving and being in the world, and most importantly the way that one lived their life with these things as the central preoccupation of consideration.

That's the true source of all creativity and diversity, and I think what the whole purpose of the so-called "alternative" lifestyle to try and recreate and reestablish. The other alternative, the true alternative, because it is counter to the way that human culture and history and society has been conducted for most of it's existence, is the monoculture. Isn't that really what we are against?That conformity and lack of individual perspective that embodies institutions like Mcdonalds and Walmart.

I long for the day when people can celebrate thier commonality over thier differences, but for that to happen it will take a lot of reinvention of values and personal insight so that people can really get to know who they are.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Jackie and MG make valid points, but not it seems about shiki's original question. Ethnopolitics is a topic worth disussing I'm sure.. but it has nothing to do with the culture(s) that sites like BB relate to. Amelia is lingering around the point that I'm making, but clearly writing from behind a vague haze of histamine and unanswered IMs.

There is nothing at all wrong with a particular aspect of society, even one where people are so crazy about promoting 'individuality and acceptance for all', being more or less popular with a demographic - and I'm sorry for offending all the evangelistically-PC people, but race is a demographic just the same as height and income. It has an effect, in a different way than your zip code, but an effect. If we all had to pretend otherwise I'd be trying to sell rap to the Amish.

If this was a site about custom cars, we'd have a bias towards younger people and males, but no appreciable ethnic or racial slant. Music in a particular genre and you'd be able to bias age, sex and race way up to the 90:10s. I'm not saying that BB has a bias because it wants one, promotes one or aims for one, but by the same token if you appeal to a certain sector of the population you cannot deny the inherent bias that sector displays, or change it. Sites featuring erotica, tattoos and the occasional slice of lesbian food fighting will never appeal to Islamist extremists, so won't see any dropping by for a chat or buying subs.. doesn't mean it's biased against them - they're biased against it.

The 'goth' subculture and modern-era female tattooing or body mods both show a larger participation amongst whites in Western societies where sexual equality has established a social platform for self-expression. Goth is simply not big in countries that didn't live through the Victorian era and experienced it the first time round (apart from the Japanese, who for some reason don't follow the rules of cultural demographics) Individuality is great, and there are always examples of people who break the bias, but to say it doesn't exist is plain stupid. To expect a 50:50 split on every image on the web is equally so, but to predict the 'right' percentage is not the idea either. Sites like this represent a section of society and so reflect it, howsoever it may be formed at the time. They don't get to change it by posting a new photoshoot or complaining about the last one.

mG (who hasn't got a cold, but still talks snippy when people are being daft)

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

i never thought it was about politics. i just figured not many hot black chicks applied.....

and yeah, it would be way lame for amelia and forrest to go hunt down black chiks just to make some kind of quota....

I'm going to respect Amelia's wishes and not start pointing out specific people but a casual glance at just the last month of updates on BlueBlood.com shows plenty of nonwhite girls.

mG is right about demographics. For every Vernon Reid, there are a lot more great white rock players. This is not because blacks can't play guitar or any bullshit like that but some subcultures happen to skew somewhat more towards one demo or another. That does not mean a Vernon Reid should not count or rock should be considered a whites only playground. That would be stupid.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

My intention was to go OT on that. I should have been more explicit regarding "goth" subculture as a whole. I hope I made it clear that I was not implicating anyone when dealing with an obvious demographic. I just saw her post as perhaps being 2 subjects rolled into one.

Jackie T

dead_but_twitching's Avatar Member

hey,,,,, there is no reason for black people not being gothic.. i am black and have been gothic since ..... i remember.

but then again i dont know how it is in the states,,,

dead_but_twitching's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by dead_but_twitching
    hey,,,,, there is no reason for black people not being gothic.. i am black and have been gothic since ..... i remember.

but then again i dont know how it is in the states,,,
    what i really want to say is that black people among with arab people, does not have all the social comfort that white people have.

minorities, and black people in particular, tend to cling on to their roots for comfort and security. i wont say that all black people are like that, because obviously i'm not, but the wast majority of them clearly does.

then we return to the original question. why aren't black people as represented in bb's erotic as whites. for me the answer to this question is simple: the gothic subculture isn't particulary black. it is only widespread in white communities.
    + that the clothes are too warm to be worn in africa:P

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

i never thought it was about politics. i just figured not many hot black chicks applied.....
    heh thats what i thought too...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

hmmm, never crossed my mind to notice such a thing

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by dead_but_twitching
    for me the answer to this question is simple
    hey, I appreicate your POV, and that was well-said.

I think that this is an appropriate and relevent topic of discussion, and honestly a question that a lot of people have on thier minds and I haven't seen spoken about too much, and I know that we have just the cool sort of people here to be able to talk about it maturely and intelligently and not step on too many toes. As much as I like fun and games, you know that I also am a big fan of pushing the hot button issues and stirring up the pot to get people thinking.

+ Reply to Thread