+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you posessive over your personal space?

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Are you posessive over your personal space?

The person I live with hates when I put stuff up around the house. At first I abided by this peculiarity but after a whole 3 months I decided I wasn't going anywhere and started putting my stuff around the house. This of course caused a silent battle, him moving my stuff where he deems appropriate and me getting annoyed. I tried to talk about it and we finally reached what seemed like a fantastic solution, but that solution has not actually been executed, just suggested :-( Soooooo... last night after finding my cookies eaten, my laundry detergent stashed in the storage unit, my curry completely missing and my face scrub moved from it's place in the shower to "my" bathroom shelf, I waged war.

I strung my underwear and bras all around the kitchen, one on each cabinet door knob.

I put up a highly offensive painting by the front door, and another by the back door.

It made me feel better for a minute but I still feel unwelcome n my own home :-(

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Are you posessive over your personal space?

Hahaha! I had the hugest series of fights with my ex, when we were moving in together. She liked asian fung shui simplicity. I like gothic clutter. Tons of books, skulls, swords, dark colors, etc... So yeah, it was a huge battle of the wills to determine a good balance. The compromise ended up being that each of our personal living areas we could do whatever we wanted with, but the common areas were where we would compromise. Now that she's moved out, the skulls and stuff are slowly leaking out into the rest of the house now... heh heh!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Sounds like a jackass to me. The personal space is always your own room. I live in a situation now where its all the good things about living with ppl without any of the bad. Our places are separate. Doors are locked. Inviting ppl from the house opver is the same as inviting ppl outside the house. You never eat or take anyone's food. It's your shower and laundry room. The one exception is keeping the kitchen and bathroom basically clean. You don't stash other ppls shit though. We'd gang up on the dude and have him booted out.

Jackie T

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I live wiht my hunny and my mom-in-law at the moment. Personal space is a great myth around here. I was okay with occasional borrowing/lending kind of communal property thing we had goin on at first but this is getting ridiculous. It started with hte worms in the fridge and ended with the rabbit food in my drinks pitcher. I have managed to pull out as much of the leopard print from the areas deemed "ours" as possible. But all the clutter that accumulates around the house, regardless of who's stuff it actually is, belongs to us.

Anyone willing to donate to the "Send K and Rob to Europe" fund?

~K

ObscureZan's Avatar Member

Aww Lord...I know what you mean! My stepsister used to move my stuff in the bathroom all the time until we designated the back of the shower as mine and the front as her's...but not even that helped for she took over the entire shower...yes she takes three two hour long showers a day but I need somewhere to put my soaps and shampoos as well! God forbid we share because that's unsanitary to her even though they are gel soaps...Jesus H.Naoto Christ... But the biggest Personal Space Issue I've had so far with anybody (Which is of course my stepsister) was...Okay you ready? Story time!:

I had a picture of my favourite guitarist on my door smoking a cigarette and looking disgruntled so...the sign on my door said, "Caution: Disgruntled Japanese Men With Cigarettes on Attack Duty" this sign apparently gave my sister and her boyfriend the right to enter my room without my permission when I wasn't at home. I get home, exhausted, go up to my room to find it completely DESTROYED. I wasn't so mad that my stuff was on the floor, but I had a very old Japanese Flag that was given to me by my favourite artist, that was hanging above my bed...I found it...on the floor...In shreds...and from what I could tell...they burned it a little...So I bust upstairs to her room in the attic and start screaming at her why she would do that and her answer was, "You're not an American with that in your room so I saved your life..." and she spoke to me so condesendingly it wasn't even funny. Just because her and her boyfriend and her family are a bunch of Racist Rednecks doesn't give them the right to go into my room and destroy my stuff especially something that old and precious.

Tinman's Avatar Senior Member

Thats just wrong!

When i was a kid, my sisters had a party while the folks were out, i agreed to make myself scarce so they didnt have little bro hangin round, on one condition, no ones aloud in my room.
    My frind lived accross the road so i hung out there and u can see my room from there, as the party hit full swing, my mate saw my light go on then off, so i headed over to make sure no one was in there, i let myself in, saw my sisters and asked them, they were pretty pissed id showed up, i went up stairs to find 2 people makin out in my bed, another 2 using my fav poster to make roaches for the joints and an other emptying my money pot o cash, the party ended as i erupted like a volcano

I couldnt believe theyd let people do that to my stuff, when u live in a house with people u dont really know, its easier to take when they cross the line but family thats like violating some unwritten code, like they say you cant choose your family.

Ouch, Tinman!!!! That WAS a pretty nasty experience you had.

As for me, well, have had enough frustrating experiences with room-mates over the years, and some good ones too, to be fair, that my only room-mates are now of the feline variety.

Mind you, there are days when they and I have our moments too. But, I never have to worry about them comin' up with their share of the rent and utilities.

Tinman's Avatar Senior Member

Hey would be good if they could, lol

Dunno. That'd take at least half the fun out of the relationship, I think.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Personal space, sometimes. Personal possesions...always, well as long as its new...it stops being new after about 3-6 months.

+ Reply to Thread