+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should there be Stricter Testing for Pharmeceutical Drugs?

ObscureZan's Avatar Member

Default Should there be Stricter Testing for Pharmeceutical Drugs?

Alright I'm pulling another life experience/ opinion thread here people so duck and cover O.o

Alrighty, here's what I'm proposing... Stricter policies for the testing of Pharmeceutical Drugs. I am sick and tired of hearing about how so many people are on a certain drug then all of a sudden it is called back because of new things that they've found wrong with it through prolonged (untested until put on the market) use, use during pregnancy, etc. etc.

A couple years ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy and I was sent through the drug ring-a-round-a-rosie routine until I was finally put on a drug that had just come out on the market. (You guys don't care that I leave the medications I've been put on/am on nameless do you?). They said it was TOTALLY safe and better for me than what I was on. Well now, two years later, I'm informed that because of the medication, I am now unable to have children later on because the drug has totally destroyed my reproductive organs (Too much info? Sorry.).

So (now i'm incredibly depressed because at one point I....yes me...Would've liked to have been a mother...Scary no?) I'm feeling a little used by the...I guess you could call it a System, The System. I'm feeling a little used by the 'System' and I'm asking everybody, Do you think the general public is being used to test pharmeceuticals? Isn't this a little dangerous vs. the usual lab subject testing? I think there needs to be a longer testing period for Pharmeceutical Drugs/ Medications call them what you will. What views to you guys have on it?

Default Re: Should there be Stricter Testing for Pharmeceutical Drugs?

I don't really know enough about the subject to comment on it, but want to extend my condolences to you on what the epilepsy medication, and its makers, did to you.

That is inexcusable, and am sorry it happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    I don't really know enough about the subject to comment on it, but want to extend my condolences to you on what the epilepsy medication, and its makers, did to you.

That is inexcusable, and am sorry it happened to you.
    Thank you very much Mr.Rilea, You always have kind words for me

You're quite welcome, Zan-San.

kclark's Avatar Junior Member

Yes, there should be stricter testing....and it should all be done by me.

No drugs sold without the giant "K" stamp indicating it has earned my personal approval through rigorous and extensive testing in a controlled environment (my condo). Once I have ingested mass quantities and determined the drug's suitability as an agent of spiritual enlightenment, only THEN can it be disseminated to the masses as a cure for cancer, yeast infections, or whatever.

I think that is as little testing done as there is, is because the companies want the drug to hit the market as quickly as possible in order to start seeing a return on their investment. As a result, drugs are rushed through the testing phase as much as the company can to get it to market quicker.

Also, the public is always clamouring for the next "cure" drug and are wanting the drug to be avalible as soon as possible because many are unaware of the potential problems with the drugs.

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

I couldn't agree more, however, try stopping these companies now. Look who is responsible for JAMA. If it wasn't for those companies that magazine probably wouldn't get published these days & then what would physicians refer to? Doctors are bought off by these companies & who can blame them, golf trips, catered lunches for their offices & departments, you name it they get it from drug reps. People feel like they need to be on drugs anyway they get annoyed when they can't take a pill to deal with things but that is what we know as a society.

I guess the best example I can think of is that new diet drug Alli or the one for restless leg syndrome. Any drug that is allowed on the market that will make you shit your pants instead of fart, drink, gamble & fuck obsessively so your legs don't feel restless? Who let that one slide on through? You can even buy it at the drug store here!!

Yet people who really need decent medication don't get much help. Case & point Obscure Zan. Sorry to hear that you went through that, did you get a second opinion?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

sorry to hear about your problem, have you thought about seeing if you can at least sue someone?

and no, they have no way of properly testing drugs without putting them on the market

Quote Originally Posted by Xochitl
    I couldn't agree more, however, try stopping these companies now. Look who is responsible for JAMA. If it wasn't for those companies that magazine probably wouldn't get published these days & then what would physicians refer to? Doctors are bought off by these companies & who can blame them, golf trips, catered lunches for their offices & departments, you name it they get it from drug reps. People feel like they need to be on drugs anyway they get annoyed when they can't take a pill to deal with things but that is what we know as a society.

I guess the best example I can think of is that new diet drug Alli or the one for restless leg syndrome. Any drug that is allowed on the market that will make you shit your pants instead of fart, drink, gamble & fuck obsessively so your legs don't feel restless? Who let that one slide on through? You can even buy it at the drug store here!!

Yet people who really need decent medication don't get much help. Case & point Obscure Zan. Sorry to hear that you went through that, did you get a second opinion?
    I know, it's sad doctors don't care for their patients a little more. I used to work in a doctor's office and we had drug reps doing just that. I dont' know who lets these drugs slide through with such horrible side effects.

I did get several opinions but the answer was all the same, my body's been trashed by the medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    sorry to hear about your problem, have you thought about seeing if you can at least sue someone?

and no, they have no way of properly testing drugs without putting them on the market
    Yeah I've begun to look into suing somebody but I mean, you know, what good's it going to do? It's not going to heal me, plus the drug, unfortunently, works quite well for my seizures and it's dangerous to take me off of it now. I find it very sad that there's no proper way to test drugs until they are out in the mainstream.

That's what I don't get. From what I understand, there are supposed to be clinical trials and the like.

What happened to that stage of product R and D at pharmaceutical companies????

Absolute rubbish.

Good luck, Zan-Chan, and, again, sorry that happened to you.

+ Reply to Thread