Thread: Dita Von Teese Does PeTA

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Dita Von Teese Does PeTA

Click to Win a Dita Von Teese "Prize Package"

You can also embed the stream of the entire video at that url

JT

Default Re: Dita Von Teese Does PeTA

Hell yeah, I like that combination.

Last night Mr. O'Reilly was dissing the campagin because it subjectified women . Hardly news worthy, but relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    Hell yeah, I like that combination.

Last night Mr. O'Reilly was dissing the campagin because it subjectified women . Hardly news worthy, but relevant.
    You mean objectivizes women? (commodified). His argument is ridiculous. I don't even know that Miss Von Teese is being paid for this. Most are not.

JT

Agh, I fail. Sorry, yeah.
    And yes, of course. Not even sure why he would adress it, there are so many other things he could bitch about.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I just lost a ton of respect for her.

Fuck Peta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax

Fuck Peta.
    I don't agree with some of their stances. I am always entertained by the response they evoke by O'Reilly etc. They seem to punch way above their weight class.

JT

What? PETA using nudity and tits to help them advertise?

Noooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    What? PETA using nudity and tits to help them advertise?

Noooooo.
    I only came to a truly principled position on the sexual freedom issues in the last year. I believe that this should apply to all circumstances (including causes we may or may not believe in). I would not see a model advocating an organization I had more principled disagreements with as any different.

JT

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

Bill O'Reilly is talking about how women should be treated? Didn't he obscenely phone call some woman who worked for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Xochitl
    Bill O'Reilly is talking about how women should be treated? Didn't he obscenely phone call some woman who worked for him?
    From what I remember hearing about that Colossal World Scandal at the time, the answer to your question would be Yes.

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

So thats why I got my puppy castrated.

Isn't castrated an interesting word?

Fuck Peta.
    I agree completely.

Peta to me just seems to be going the wrong direction as far as advertising. I'm guessing this is more for recruitment of young members then to actually cause any change.

Peta really needs to move to a more adult market of advertising if they want to enact any legal change/clean up the system. College kids and young adults are great if you want a loud group of protestors not many people listen to..but its the money bags that get things moving.

If peta would start putting out more figures and more *shock* images (There was a webpage..if anyone has it please post..That showed a slide show of animals (rabbits, dogs, cats, cows, horses, pigs, etc etc etc etc) when you click it...it shows how these animals are harvested.

Seeing this webpage pushed me over the edge and made me a vegetarian. See the conditions that cows lived in, and how they're unceremonially air-pistoned in the forhead and sawed apart was terrible. Seeing what conditions chickens live in was even worse. I did not want to support an industry that treats animals like that much less eat the meat that comes from it.

That being said, I have little problems with cultures that survive off hunting, or hunters in general. They're sharing an intimate relationship with the animals that they kill. They have to actually see them, kill them, then carve and eat them. There is not plastic packaging and a random piece of meat bought in a grocery store.

Kinda tangeted there.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Peta to me just seems to be going the wrong direction as far as advertising. I'm guessing this is more for recruitment of young members then to actually cause any change.

Peta really needs to move to a more adult market of advertising if they want to enact any legal change/clean up the system. College kids and young adults are great if you want a loud group of protestors not many people listen to..but its the money bags that get things moving.

If peta would start putting out more figures and more *shock* images (There was a webpage..if anyone has it please post..That showed a slide show of animals (rabbits, dogs, cats, cows, horses, pigs, etc etc etc etc) when you click it...it shows how these animals are harvested.

Seeing this webpage pushed me over the edge and made me a vegetarian. See the conditions that cows lived in, and how they're unceremonially air-pistoned in the forhead and sawed apart was terrible. Seeing what conditions chickens live in was even worse. I did not want to support an industry that treats animals like that much less eat the meat that comes from it.

That being said, I have little problems with cultures that survive off hunting, or hunters in general. They're sharing an intimate relationship with the animals that they kill. They have to actually see them, kill them, then carve and eat them. There is not plastic packaging and a random piece of meat bought in a grocery store.

Kinda tangeted there.
    You make a good point on the shock pictures. That is the most effective publicity tool. I am ambivalent towards PeTA overall. I would be interested to hear more from Dita about her overall views.

JT

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Fuck Peta.

i agree... for once

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I like PETA because they piss off conservatives. Although it would seem to me that there is a good chance that the organization was in fact created by conservatives for the express purpose of making animal rights groups look stupid and useless.

sorry to say, but groups like Animal Liberation Front (ALF) are the only one's that are doing anything the least bit successful for the cause of animal rights. I know that we'd all like it for the world to magically become a better place and not have to do anything, but it's not going to happen.

Oh as far as dita goes.. um, good for her that people think she's hot and are willing to give her money for it. I don't really care about anything that celebrities have to say and that they have the audacity to even think that they will save the world, as if they are anything but part of the problem, inclines me to think that they are even more full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I like PETA because they piss off conservatives. Although it would seem to me that there is a good chance that the organization was in fact created by conservatives for the express purpose of making animal rights groups look stupid and useless.

sorry to say, but groups like Animal Liberation Front (ALF) are the only one's that are doing anything the least bit successful for the cause of animal rights. I know that we'd all like it for the world to magically become a better place and not have to do anything, but it's not going to happen.

Oh as far as dita goes.. um, good for her that people think she's hot and are willing to give her money for it. I don't really care about anything that celebrities have to say and that they have the audacity to even think that they will save the world, as if they are anything but part of the problem, inclines me to think that they are even more full of shit.
    I tend to prefer issue specific groups. I do believe ALDF has been integral in litigation and legislation (albeit I realize you don't see these as instruments of true change)

No Comment on ALF. Why not hear what Dita has to say? Do I personally *really* care? No. It isn't about me personally though.

JT

"I think it's really important for celebrities to use their power of money and fame to get their voices out there. It's funny to me that we're expected to keep quiet just because of who we are. Why do I lose my right to speak my mind because I'm famous? People criticize Michael Moore, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon for standing up for what they believe in, but that's what they do. They never pretended to be anyone else."

Lisa Edelstien

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    "I think it's really important for celebrities to use their power of money and fame to get their voices out there. It's funny to me that we're expected to keep quiet just because of who we are. Why do I lose my right to speak my mind because I'm famous? People criticize Michael Moore, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon for standing up for what they believe in, but that's what they do. They never pretended to be anyone else."

Lisa Edelstien
    I'd do it. I have no standing to criticize Miss Von Teese.

JT

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Anyone who supports an organization that is supposed to protect animals, but instead loads them up in vans, kills them and dumps them in dumpsters...an organization that has its own members brutally torture animals for videos...etc...doesnt deserve a voice.

Jax, may I ask how you found out about these things?

Anyone who supports an organization that is supposed to protect animals, but instead loads them up in vans, kills them and dumps them in dumpsters...an organization that has its own members brutally torture animals for videos...etc...doesnt deserve a voice.
    I don't belong to PeTA, but I can't take at face value information from The Center for Consumer Freedom. They are financed primarily by fast food companies that get their products fron factory farms.

JT

I don't question Jax integrity. She may have other information on PeTA. The one central source I've seen has been is:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/

They are financed by food companies that use animals from factory farms. I won't join PeTA personally, but I find a lot of information from this outfit extremely dubious. They have another site listing several animal rights groups as "terrorists".

JT

it's funny how that word "terrorist" gets applied, or misapplied...

...if an organization were to list the misdeeds of various corperations, and label them as 'terrorist acts', i'm sure they wouldn't be taken very seriously by anyone not on the fringe left. yet there are corperations out there (check out www.killercoke.com) who engage in some very frightening behaviors.

did you know that people who bomb abortion clinics are not (or weren't a few years ago the last time i checked) considered 'terrorists', yet members of environmental organizations who sabatoge clear cuts, and give the timber companies' advanced warning are labeled as such?

while not condoning (for the sake of rhetoric) the actions of the environmentalists, how is it that pouring sugar in gas tanks, and such can be considered 'terroristic', while using explosive devices, and assassinating abortion providers isn't. (law enforcement still considers it 'murder', but 'terrorism' carries addition penalties, and such...)

very, very interesting.

the link above should be www.killercoke.org ... .com takes you to a coke PR site, where they show happy smiling columbians that they aren't trying to murder for forming a trade union.

hahaha... what a whacky world.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    it's funny how that word "terrorist" gets applied, or misapplied...

...if an organization were to list the misdeeds of various corperations, and label them as 'terrorist acts', i'm sure they wouldn't be taken very seriously by anyone not on the fringe left. yet there are corperations out there (check out www.killercoke.com) who engage in some very frightening behaviors.

did you know that people who bomb abortion clinics are not (or weren't a few years ago the last time i checked) considered 'terrorists', yet members of environmental organizations who sabatoge clear cuts, and give the timber companies' advanced warning are labeled as such?

while not condoning (for the sake of rhetoric) the actions of the environmentalists, how is it that pouring sugar in gas tanks, and such can be considered 'terroristic', while using explosive devices, and assassinating abortion providers isn't. (law enforcement still considers it 'murder', but 'terrorism' carries addition penalties, and such...)

very, very interesting.
    I don't condone the use of violence to advance political goals either. It is indeed dubious to see groups labelled as "terrorists" where it would seem a few isolated individuals are acting on their own. When I see sites like "Consumer Freedom", the blanket statements applied to animal groups just leave me cold. The damage done by some corporations is demonstrable and immense. Subjective labelling of some as "terrorists" is dubious as well.

JT

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Aside from it being on the news the last few years, and charges being thrown at the bastards who did all this shit...

Its obvious. Im sick of seeing these slaughterhouse videos where they make it look like the animals are being absolutely tortured to death. Unless youve been in one and seen for yourself, all the crap they show is utter bullcrap.

I have been in slaughterhouses, and Ive also slaughtered my own meat...cows, chickens, lambs, etc. Let me tell you, the way we slaughtered our meat was much harsher than slaughterhouses that bolt the animals head so they dont feel pain.

I have been in slaughterhouses, and Ive also slaughtered my own meat...cows, chickens, lambs, etc. Let me tell you, the way we slaughtered our meat was much harsher than slaughterhouses that bolt the animals head so they dont feel pain.
    Why? For shits and giggles? Hm. I believe I just lost a ton of respect for someone.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

bah. PeTa and the like piss me right off. they believe in animal rights (apparently) yet constantly ignore human rights. we have as much a right to live as anyone and anything else. hell, technically speaking we are animals as well, though if you listen to them we are in fact DAEMONS IN FLESHLY FORM. i guess i left my horns 'n' hoofs in hell though. ill ask my mum to send them to me

animal rights activists have:
    - stopped the training of pidgeons to push buttons, to stop human workers from getting RSI since pidgeons are effectively immune to it. they didnt care about the loss of jobs, or the lowering of work related injuries, or any of the other pros or cons; simply that pidgeons were going to be cruelly forced to peck things all day in exchange for a ready supply of food and shelter from the elements and animals.
    - condemned the act of removing a strip of skin off a sheeps backside to stop maggots from eating the arse-flesh of the still live lambs. because apparently taking off a little skin would hurt.
    - bombed science centers that were not doing animal testing
    - bombed veterinary clinics because they thought they were animal testing labs
    - generally been a bunch of tossoffs trying to force thier opinion onto everyone else.

i firmly believe in animal rights. i also firmly believe that the majority of ARA groups deserve to have their stomachs filled with irate locusts.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Why? For shits and giggles? Hm. I believe I just lost a ton of respect for someone.
    yeah, right, she decided to publicly announce she likes tipping cows and pulling the wings off flies. nothing as fun as animal cruelty, right?

i dont think thats what she meant, alias.

same old argument. people that are against exploitation are trying to stop people that profit from the expolitation of others, and the exploiters cry that they are the victims when they aren't allowed to keep profiting at the expense of others.

Why is it animal rights groups fault that a company chooses to operate in a way that is harmful to humans? and why should I side with, let alone work with, a company that values it's production over human health, which they obviously do or they would not have instituted harmful work practices in the first place. Secondly, why is it a pigeon or anything elses obligation to work for this company? And what gives them the right to make that decision? Don't you think that if a pigeon wanted to live in a factory and push buttons it would have flown in through the window and did that? maybe the fact that it doesn't do that, what it does do is act like a pidgeon and not like a human worker is an indicator that it wants to be a pidgeon and not a human worker. So clearly they don't really care about animals either, except as a tool to further thier own selfish ends.

fuck em, and everyone that is like them.

I believe that what she is saying is that the automated practices that they use to slaughter the animals, in particular the so-called "stunner", are more "humane" than what an animal would endure according to the capabilites of a person butchering it without the aid of these practices.

I don't really agree with that opinion, and you know that I think any slaughter of an animal by a first-world human is cruel and unnecessary, but I'm not going to debate that. What I am saying is that I don't think that jax intended to imply that she wants or does or otherwise tries to cause undue pain and suffering onto animals.

I believe that what she is saying is that the automated practices that they use to slaughter the animals, in particular the so-called "stunner", are more "humane" than what an animal would endure according to the capabilites of a person butchering it without the aid of these practices.

I don't really agree with that opinion, and you know that I think any slaughter of an animal by a first-world human is cruel and unnecessary, but I'm not going to debate that. What I am saying is that I don't think that jax intended to imply that she wants or does or otherwise tries to cause undue pain and suffering onto animals.
    That was my understanding as well. I don't necessarily agree either, but I think she was just being true to her experience and views on working at a place. Folks are gonna disagree on basic principles even. I prefer to just hear different perspectives. I don't think any of us arrogate ourselves with a level of rhetorical fury that will convert the others to our views by typing on here.

JT

Yeah. This (animal rights) is the only topic that can get me going. When it comes to other controversial matters, politics, religion, and whatnot...while I have my views, I'm the most careful person in the world to not offend anyone. Because, exactly as you said, you aren't going to change anyone. It will just be unnecessary conflict. That was never my intention, of course, I was simply irate at the time of writing.
    As for interpretation, I was hoping that was what she meant, but it sounded awkward when I read it that way.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Fuck Peta.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY

It's there to watch, that's all I'm sayin

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY

It's there to watch, that's all I'm sayin
    I'll assume after 5 minutes in they stopped juxtaposing quotes by leaders of non-kill shelters and other organizations with PeTA slogans? That is misleading and potentially libelous should those people not be members of PeTA. The actual rate of euthanization of homeless animals is between 80-90%. I don't join PeTA personally due in part to the shelter. I was surprised they were that much below the average rate, however. Penn and Teller have the same credibility with me as Fox News. It's bullshit spewed in different directions.

The hostility towards "skinny people" was amusing.

JT

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Yeah, I kill animals for shits and giggles.

Fuck you and your respect if you make assumptions and statements like that.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    yeah, right, she decided to publicly announce she likes tipping cows and pulling the wings off flies. nothing as fun as animal cruelty, right?

i dont think thats what she meant, alias.
    Yeah, I really dont know how anyone could possibly get out of my post that I kill animals for fun.

Oh forgot to add deer to my list

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Eh first world human living in a country where you kill your own dinner.

I must be so cruel and eating is certainly unnecessary apparantly.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I guess I have much more of an agricultural background here. I guess my whole FFA chapter will go to hell for raising beef cattle and killing them for our annual BBQs...which were fundraisers by the way.

Ha. You know, I dont even have to get into it.

I also support horse slaughter. Did that knock the respect down a few notches?

*rolling eyes*

+ Reply to Thread